Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Discourse

Back to Guilds

A guild for those who wish to occasionally find refuge from the GD and ED forums 

Tags: conversation, debate 

Reply Gaian Discourse
What is hell?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kuchen Fairy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:28 am
I originally posted this in ED but apparently this is "light discussion" (and to that I say "******** you" talk2hand ), therefore was moved to GD, where it's likely gotten lost in a bunch of bullshit. Thus I'm reposting it here.

So let's again assume here that Christianity is truth and hell exists.

So what is it?

The concept of hell is widely debated. I personally think if hell exists, it's not a pit of fire where people go to burn forever and to be tortured by Satan or other hierarchical demons. Many scholars believe hell is simply separation from God, and that it's not eternal - that after a certain period of time spent in such a state, you're reunited with God.
I think, if any concept of hell is accurate, that this is it. This is mostly because our souls (or the concept, rather) are often tied to our emotions, and that our bodies bear the burden of bracing physical pain. Therefore, if we leave our physical bodies behind upon death, we as souls cannot feel physical pain. Thus hell couldn't possibly inflict physical pain upon us, but with our emotional ties still intact, the hellish realisation that we are not with God upon death is emotionally painful enough.

I mean, how can you burn for all of eternity if you have no body? How does a soul burn? How would one burn forever? What are your thoughts?  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:41 am
Silver Screen
I originally posted this in ED but apparently this is "light discussion" (and to that I say "******** you" talk2hand ), therefore was moved to GD, where it's likely gotten lost in a bunch of bullshit. Thus I'm reposting it here.

So let's again assume here that Christianity is truth and hell exists.

So what is it?

The concept of hell is widely debated. I personally think if hell exists, it's not a pit of fire where people go to burn forever and to be tortured by Satan or other hierarchical demons. Many scholars believe hell is simply separation from God, and that it's not eternal - that after a certain period of time spent in such a state, you're reunited with God.
I think, if any concept of hell is accurate, that this is it. This is mostly because our souls (or the concept, rather) are often tied to our emotions, and that our bodies bear the burden of bracing physical pain. Therefore, if we leave our physical bodies behind upon death, we as souls cannot feel physical pain. Thus hell couldn't possibly inflict physical pain upon us, but with our emotional ties still intact, the hellish realisation that we are not with God upon death is emotionally painful enough.

I mean, how can you burn for all of eternity if you have no body? How does a soul burn? How would one burn forever? What are your thoughts?

Well, Hell's infamous depiction of being a "pit of fire where Satan tortures you" did not come from the bible, itself, but from the book "Dante's Inferno". The bible itself never actually clarifies what Hell would be like, only that, whatever it is, it's horrid, and eternal.

The idea behind "Dante's Inferno's" depiction, is likely due to the mention in the bible of the "Lake of Fire", which is described as "Second Death".

The idea of the Lake of Fire, is that, on Judgment Day, all who God deems unworthy of the Kingdom of Heaven, including Satan, and the angels who followed him, and the souls of those who were corrupted by him, will be tossed into it.

Now, whether that means that you will be stuck in the pit, burning forever (as "Dante's Inferno" depicts Hell), or if your soul is simply burned away, to nothing, is debatable, but most likely it would be the latter.

Alternatively, there are some who believe that Hell is simply a world parallel to this one, where you will be tortured by life's worst annoyances, the stuff that makes people commit suicide, but, no matter how hard you try to die, death never comes. Essentially, when you die, they believe, you will wake up from the "dream" where you died, to be "alive", so you'll never know you were dead, to begin with. That would suck, majorly

So, yeah. I hope this helps you.  

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100

GREEEEEEEEEEEN

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:10 pm
If I believed in hell which I haven't decided if I do or don't yet, then I'd believe it's a place full of mental torture and separation from God and satisfaction.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:28 am
GREEEEEEEEEEEN
If I believed in hell which I haven't decided if I do or don't yet, then I'd believe it's a place full of mental torture and separation from God and satisfaction.

Well, no offense, but that much is obvious.  

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100

GREEEEEEEEEEEN

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:41 am
black_wing_angel
GREEEEEEEEEEEN

Well, no offense, but that much is obvious.
That's why I stated that I wasn't sure if I believed in it or not, so my belief is very basic.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:04 am
The secret source of humor is not joy but sorrow;

I don´t see heaven nor hell as physical places, but as states of mind. Same as Mark Twain -that´s why I picked that quote of him quote to adorn my posts.

I had suffered from depression for one year, and that was being in hell for me.

Did I mention before that I´m agnostic?

there is no humor in Heaven. Mark Twain

Donna Cecilia

Romantic Genius

16,050 Points
  • Rat Conqueror 500
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Devoted Fortune Seeker 400

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:35 pm
You know, the title of this thread just made me think of a song...

"What is love Hell?
Baby don't hurt torture me,
Don't hurt torture me,
No more."  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:30 pm
black_wing_angel

"What is love Hell?
Don't hurt torture me,
No more."
User Image

If I were more into it, I'd photoshop in horns.  

Fresnel

Citizen

magmayoshi

Dapper Mage

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:35 pm
Fresnel
black_wing_angel

"What is love Hell?
Don't hurt torture me,
No more."
User Image

I'll do it Wednesday if we still care about it then 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:08 am
The secret source of Humor itself is not joy but sorrow.

magmayoshi
Fresnel
black_wing_angel

"What is love Hell?
Don't hurt torture me,
No more."
User Image

Just DO it!

It will be a rocking banner, both as a signature, or as a Guild Banner we can use (I want to see what Dioxazine thinks)

There is no humor in heaven. Mark Twain

Donna Cecilia

Romantic Genius

16,050 Points
  • Rat Conqueror 500
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Devoted Fortune Seeker 400

MayIHelpYou22102

5,350 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:49 am
"Simply put: The plane of existence Lucifer and his fallen angels were sent to after the angelic wars."

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:00 pm
Meet Your Mistress

magmayoshi
Fresnel
black_wing_angel

"What is love Hell?
Don't hurt torture me,
No more."
User Image

Just DO it!

It will be a rocking banner, both as a signature, or as a Guild Banner we can use (I want to see what Dioxazine thinks)

Maybe try to shop out the car, and in some flames, so it looks like they're rocking in Hell!  

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100

magmayoshi

Dapper Mage

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:51 pm
black_wing_angel
Meet Your Mistress

magmayoshi
Fresnel
black_wing_angel

"What is love Hell?
Don't hurt torture me,
No more."
User Image

Just DO it!

Maybe try to shop out the car, and in some flames, so it looks like they're rocking in Hell!

Nah you need the car, I'll eliminate the background though since I don't like it's jitter anyways.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:04 pm
What is Hell?

I dunno. There are so many theories going with it that it's hard to pick just one. I think it's a place where your worst fears and annoyances are realised on a constant basis, not matter how trivial it is as long as it enhances the torture. Hate the color orange? Well, prepare to see that color while you're tortured. And you mentioned somethng about the inability to feel physical pain after death? What if you were really experience spiritual pain, which for all we know could be a 1000x worse. And only some one with extreme spite would make this last forever. God would have to free you from this sometime. Just because you screwed up royally in a miniscule life span, you shouldn't have to suffer for enternity for it.  

Elweezy

Gaian Discourse

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff