Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Discourse

Back to Guilds

A guild for those who wish to occasionally find refuge from the GD and ED forums 

Tags: conversation, debate 

Reply Gaian Discourse
Khamenai speaks out against the protests.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kuchen Fairy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:48 am
There hasn't been much talk of the Iranian elections around Gaia, which honestly baffles me. Regardless, I think we all know what's going on here. Most of us have probably already heard what Ayatollah Ali Khamenei had to say about it.
According to Khamenai, a rig of votes is impossible under these circumstances because of the sheer number of votes that came between Ahmadinejad and Mousavi. I say that's the shittiest explanation I've ever heard.

Quote:
TEHRAN, Iran - Iran's supreme leader said Friday that Iran's disputed presidential vote had not been rigged, sternly warning protesters to halt massive demonstrations or be held responsible for creating chaos.

Ayatollah Ali Khamenei sided with hardline President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and offered no concessions to the opposition. He effectively closed any chance for a new vote by calling the June 12 election a "definitive victory."

The speech created a stark choice for opposition candidate Mir Hossein Mousavi and his supporters: drop their demands for a new vote or take to the streets again in blatant defiance of the man endowed with virtually limitless powers under Iran's constitution.

Pro-Mousavi Web sites had no immediate reaction to Khamenei’s warning and no announcement of any changes in a protest planned for 4 p.m. Saturday.

Khamenei blamed foreign media and Western countries of trying to create a political rift and stir up chaos in Iran.

"Some of our enemies in different parts of the world intended to depict this absolute victory, this definitive victory, as a doubtful victory," he said, according to an official translation on state TV's English-language channel. "It is your victory. They cannot manipulate it."

Khamenei said the 11 million votes that separated Ahmadinejad from his top opponent, Mousavi, was proof that fraud did not occur.

"If the difference was 100,000 or 200,000 or 1 million, one may say fraud could happen. But how can one rig 11 million votes?" Khamenei asked during Friday prayers at Tehran University.

As to my response of the quote in bold, I say it's not anybody's victory until all the votes are taken into account. We've seen voting counts in areas where the population is smaller than the amount of votes it got. We've seen Mousavi's number jump backwards right on television. We've seen numerous people die in the uproar that this injustice has caused. We've also seen them partake in acts of kindness and peace, even to those who they are fighting against. But it's fairly clear to me that the reason the people in charge are so afraid of a recount/revote is because they know those numbers aren't right. The clerics and the supreme leader are just as terrified of democratic change as they are of honesty.

So yeah - ******** you, Khamenai. It's ON.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:46 am
Silver Screen
"Some of our enemies in different parts of the world intended to depict this absolute victory, this definitive victory, as a doubtful victory,"
Wait, something's happening in Iran? Sorry, I was too busy giggling at Obama swatting a fly.  

Fresnel

Citizen

Zambimaru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:42 pm
This makes me nervous. I hope the next protest doesn't turn into a massacre.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:35 pm
Fresnel
Silver Screen
"Some of our enemies in different parts of the world intended to depict this absolute victory, this definitive victory, as a doubtful victory,"
Wait, something's happening in Iran? Sorry, I was too busy giggling at Obama swatting a fly.

That bollocks was infuriating. As if it was some great feat, bitchslapping a fly to the ground.

Quote:
This makes me nervous. I hope the next protest doesn't turn into a massacre.

It'll probably get worse before it gets better, but it will get better. It has to.

Dude I just won a ******** bananaman from that ice cream s**t.   cool  

Kuchen Fairy

Fresnel

Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:18 am
Silver Screen
Fresnel
Silver Screen

That bollocks was infuriating. As if it was some great feat, bitchslapping a fly to the ground.
Okay, since you didn't get it I guess my point was as poorly worded as I've begun to suspect it was. Let me try again.

How could WE be depicting your victory as ANYTHING? We didn't hear s**t about Iran for a week or so; long after the protests had begun. We were too busy watching Obama swat a fly and other similar self-absorbed pointless bullshit.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:00 pm
Silver Screen
Fresnel
Silver Screen
Fresnel
Silver Screen

Okay, since you didn't get it I guess my point was as poorly worded as I've begun to suspect it was. Let me try again.

How could WE be depicting your victory as ANYTHING? We didn't hear s**t about Iran for a week or so; long after the protests had begun. We were too busy watching Obama swat a fly and other similar self-absorbed pointless bullshit.

1) I'm retarded. My bad.

2) Whose victory are we talking about here? See point 1.

3) Iran was all over the news, from even before the election to current. Most people just didn't care, because omg saviour Obama Jesus beat up an insect.
Oh, like I can spell his ******** name. Couldn't have had something easy like Osama or Hussein... *ahem* the once and current president of Iran.  

Fresnel

Citizen

Gaian Discourse

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces