Submit

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:58 am
I was hunting for some ammo at the gun counter of my local Big 5 when, lo and behold, there was an M1 Garand locked in the gun rack. No one was on duty at the counter, so I didn't get a close look. But what I could see of it made me very sad.

No price tag was attached to it right off the bat. But given the shape the furniture was in, I wouldn't have it as a gift. The wood was mismatched and so splintered, any attempt to shoot this veteran would most likely end in grief.

Oh, and they have a shipment of nice looking Interstate ‘M24/47’ Yugo 8MM Mausers for $250 each. Clean looking weapons.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:05 pm
Floyd
I was hunting for some ammo at the gun counter of my local Big 5 when, lo and behold, there was an M1 Garand locked in the gun rack. No one was on duty at the counter, so I didn't get a close look. But what I could see of it made me very sad.

No price tag was attached to it right off the bat. But given the shape the furniture was in, I wouldn't have it as a gift. The wood was mismatched and so splintered, any attempt to shoot this veteran would most likely end in grief.

Oh, and they have a shipment of nice looking Interstate ‘M24/47’ Yugo 8MM Mausers for $250 each. Clean looking weapons.
I put my graduation money in a CD so I won't get to touch it for a year. D:  

Desert_Fox_Rommel

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:29 pm
Desert_Fox_Rommel
Floyd

It was the right idea, but... I don't think CDs make much money. My girlfriend put $50 in a CD five or six years back, pulled it out last year, and had $55.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:17 pm
Fresnel
Desert_Fox_Rommel
Floyd

It was the right idea, but... I don't think CDs make much money. My girlfriend put $50 in a CD five or six years back, pulled it out last year, and had $55.
I should hopefully be making about a $170 profit since I put in $1,000 with 1.5% interest per month. Well that's at least what the form mentioned. The lady at on point said I was only getting $15 out of it, but the form said interest per month so hopefully it's $15 a month.

For some reason the state sent me a child support check last month. It's weird because they stopped paying my grandparents child support a year ago. Still it gave me some money for savings and a little pocket money. mrgreen Now if I can just get a job I'll be off to a good start.  

Desert_Fox_Rommel

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:48 pm
Ever since the tacticool Taiwanese-built M1911 I saw at Big 5, I have decided that it will be the LAST place I turn to buy a gun, much less a Garand.

Speaking of Garand, watched Gran Torino recently. Loved that movie.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:25 pm
Yeah, much easier and you can choose the quality when you get it through the CMP.
That and 100%, or pretty damn close to it, goes to supporting your gun rights.
Excellent deals on ammo too and you can't get a better price on M1 Carbines, Enfields, Springfields or M1 Garands.  

OberFeldwebel

uryu ishida

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:58 am
Only problem with the CMP is all the requirements, then the long turnaround time for orders, and they now limit how much you can buy per year.

You can get past the long turnaround times for orders if you live close enough to one of their stores to go handpick one and get it there, much faster.

How much you wanna bet they'd try to sell whoever bought it a box of modern factory .30-06SPRG that wasn't designed for it?  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:52 am
uryu ishida
Only problem with the CMP is all the requirements, then the long turnaround time for orders, and they now limit how much you can buy per year.

You can get past the long turnaround times for orders if you live close enough to one of their stores to go handpick one and get it there, much faster.

How much you wanna bet they'd try to sell whoever bought it a box of modern factory .30-06SPRG that wasn't designed for it?

Doesn't effect it any worse than old ammo.  

Inquisitor Brock

uryu ishida

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:00 pm
Inquisitor Brock
uryu ishida

Modern .30-06 that isn't loaded for the M1 Garand is too high pressure for the standard gas plug and can-most likely will-bend the op rod after using it too much. If you want to use modern factory .30-06 you'd need to get an adjustable gas plug.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:43 pm
uryu ishida

I didn't mind waiting because it yielded good results and it's going to a good cause.
Not some jackass with overpriced rifles.
Seriously, $900 for rack grade M1 Carbines?
Also, when it came closer to the estimated date of arrival, it was like waiting for Christmas.
Suddenly it was there and I was like, so soon?! ^.^

Unless the people behind the counter know about M1 Garands, they probably would.
Another thing, if they worked on commission, they'd try to sell them any kind of 30-06.

If the metal is good, function good, wait a minute.
Next time you're there, write down what manufacturer they are.
I remember some reports of a bad manufacturer.

There are stocks out there to buy, found some on gunbroker, but they're not too cheap. That's to be expected though.
I'm sure there are ways of saving dried out wood, you'll just have to ask.  

OberFeldwebel

Inquisitor Brock

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:26 am
uryu ishida
Inquisitor Brock
uryu ishida

Modern .30-06 that isn't loaded for the M1 Garand is too high pressure for the standard gas plug and can-most likely will-bend the op rod after using it too much. If you want to use modern factory .30-06 you'd need to get an adjustable gas plug.

Nope. Ran plenty of rounds through mine, with no problems. Though it's a CAI cast receiver and s**t like that.  
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games