Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Main Forum
Tomb Raider = Survival Horror??

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tron714
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:04 am
Just check out this article i found, im curious if anyone would play this. Ill give my input on it a little later. 3nodding
Quote:
Tomb Raider Reboot to Become Survival-Horror Title?
Written Monday, July 13, 2009 by Dan Webb

Tomb Raider has had a tough time as of late and according to Eidos supremo, Ian Livingstone, the next installment of Lara would "surprise a lot of people and reinvigorate the franchise." Now if the latest Tomb Raider rumour turns out to be true ... shock us it will! In a leak, originally on FourPlayerCo-Op, concept art and details of the upcoming Tomb Raider surfaced stating it would be open-world and survival-horror title.

The new title is said to feature a revamped combat system, weather system, new weapons (including a box as seen in the concept art here), natural events and free movement. As for the story, well that goes as follows ...

"When a sudden storm destroys her research vessel, a young and inexperienced Lara Croft finds herself stranded on a mysterious and remote island hidden off the shores of Japan. Despite several signs of various inhabitants the island is oddly deserted, and an uneasy feeling settles in as strange sounds emerge from the shadows."

"With only her determination, inner strength, and resourcefulness to help her, Lara must overcome the challenges of a harsh and unforgiving journey that will take her across a vast island wilderness and deep into the claustrophobic and menacing underground tombs from the island's past. As she struggles to prevail through brutal combat encounters and treacherous exploration, Lara will be pushed to her limits and forced to adapt to her situation in order to survive and escape from the lethal predators that stalk her every move."

Another Lara reboot then? At the moment we'll chalk it down as a rumour but the fact the lawyers pounced on the major blogs who had hosted the images to remove them seems to pay credence to the rumour.

Open-world? Sounds good. Survival horror? Excuse me?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:00 pm
A classic action series (tomb raider) becomes survival horror, and a classic survival horror series (resident evil) becomes action (RE5) and rail shooting (wii RE games)

What is the world coming to?  

nitnit
Captain

Jonnnn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:31 am
nitnit
A classic action series (tomb raider) becomes survival horror, and a classic survival horror series (resident evil) becomes action (RE5) and rail shooting (wii RE games)

Something not nearly as boring and lame as the old Tomb Raider games - hopefully.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:51 pm
So this one time I tried to play Tomb Raider on my cousin's dreamcast, and the controls were so bad I couldn't get past the tutorial. Then again, dreamcast had one of the worst controllers ever.  

nitnit
Captain

Jonnnn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:02 pm
It wasn't just the controller. Tomb Raider has always been one of the games I could never get into. The camera was especially awkward.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:57 pm
nitnit

I was thinking the same myself xD

I too was never really drawn into the hype of Tomb Raider. It wasnt exactly the most exciting genre to play. A female Indiana Jones that looks for treasure in a puzzle infested cave. Then is encountered by some threat and you have to shoot it with your dual pistol arsenal. Eh... not really my type of game. Maybe this survival horror bit will make me change my mind.  

Tron714
Vice Captain

Haratio TaFotter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:03 pm
nitnit
So this one time I tried to play Tomb Raider on my cousin's dreamcast, and the controls were so bad I couldn't get past the tutorial. Then again, dreamcast had one of the worst controllers ever.

Sounds like Tomb Raider alright. I don't think the dreamcast had anything to do with it though: I've had more or less the same problem with every Tomb Raider game I ever tried to play. I remember playing one of the PS2 releases and getting stuck on some stupid part of the tutorial for 15 minutes.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:06 pm
Well everytime I moved the stick she did an entire ******** barrel roll one way, or leaped back or something. Then when I tried it a different way she went unbearably slow.

I was mostly just commenting on how I really hate the DC controller. The buttons feel weird and really cheap, the stick is uncomfortable, and the pad is always sticky, even on new controllers.  

nitnit
Captain

Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces