A guild for Gaiaholics and Gaia Addicts alike 

Tags: Gaia, Gaiaholics, Anonymous, Addicts 

Reply Gaiaholics Anonymous
SciFi is now SyFy

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Bizarre name change turned out ok yes or no?
  Yes.
  No.
  Doesn't bug me.
View Results

Razin Frostdrake
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:52 pm
Who else originally thought this would be a horrible idea?

i originally thought stupid idea, what's the point in changing the letters to SyFy it's still pronounced the same, but once they began the change it looked so much more clean, the concepts are more modern, etc

basically SyFy is a now spelled differently to push the eureka, warehouse13, stargate, sanctuary, tv shows more than usual. while the old SciFi seemed to push classic horror movies, medieval times, vampires, werewolves, etc more.

atleast this is my opinion.

the new commercial for SyFy can be watched here http://www.syfy.com/imaginegreater/ it's a rather awesome commercially thing, showing off some of it's newest shows.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:35 pm
I like Eureka and Werehouse 13. I was surprised to see wrestling.  

Salmay
Captain

Razin Frostdrake
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:19 pm
the wrestling has been on scifi for a while even prior to the syfy name change, it IS fiction . . . but it really does NOT fit into anything scifi or syfy.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:30 pm
I thought it was on USA, that's all  

Salmay
Captain

sometimesalways

Vice Captain

fxxkin demon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:36 pm
I don't watch much on SciFi except Ghost Hunters and the occasional movie. The name is really really dumb. It doesn't seem modern to me more like poor spelling skills.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:34 pm
sometimesalways
I don't watch much on SciFi except Ghost Hunters and the occasional movie. The name is really really dumb. It doesn't seem modern to me more like poor spelling skills.

no it's "modern" due to the rise in replacing I's with Y's Alyssa versus Alissa, people are naming kids, or writing things with Y's over I's, my niece named her son Kamyn so it seems rather common for younger people. stupid yes, but modern isn't always smart.  

Razin Frostdrake
Vice Captain

lilartichoke

Wheezing Prophet

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:54 pm
Ha ha.
This discussion reminds me a bit of the movie "idiocracy"
Hilarious. Great movie.
If you haven't seen it, pleaseee do.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:10 am
Meh...I stopped watching the Sci-Fi channel a long time ago. It got stale, which is part of why I'm sure it's the SyFy Channel now. I can just imagine the brainstorming session that came up with the idea:

*Executives sit around in a boardroom*

Executive One: "Hey guys, everybody's tired of our cut-and-paste movies of the week!!! What can we do to change our image???"

Executive Two: "I've got a great idea!!! Let's be edgy!!!! Let's rename ourselves SyFy! Get it??? SyFy???"

Rest of the Executives: "Brilliant!!!!!!"  

Kinnei

5,650 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Informer 100
  • Befriended 100

Salmay
Captain
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:32 pm
Razin Frostdrake
sometimesalways

no it's "modern" due to the rise in replacing I's with Y's Alyssa versus Alissa, people are naming kids, or writing things with Y's over I's, my niece named her son Kamyn so it seems rather common for younger people. stupid yes, but modern isn't always smart.

We get books of thousands of terrible baby names. I keep wanting to write in them:

Your best bet is to choose a name that can be pronounced based on how it is spelled and spelled based on how it is pronounced.

If you refuse to do this then you must teach you child 1) To spell their name, slowly and carefully so people can write it down 2) To be very patient with the fact that nobody can pronounce their name.

Thank you.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:23 pm
UGH I hope they don't change it.
That is just silly looking.  

Bunai

Angelic Blob

Karma v2
Vice Captain

Invisible Exhibitionist

14,100 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:05 pm
Eh... ok. xp
You'd think they'd have more important things to worry about.
Visually, it looks weird to me as SyFy. Like it should be pronounced "siffy"  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:46 pm
Do not like.
That looks really wrong, I love my scifi, not so sure about syfy  

Parasox v2

sometimesalways

Vice Captain

fxxkin demon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:39 am
Salmay
Razin Frostdrake
sometimesalways

We get books of thousands of terrible baby names. I keep wanting to write in them:

Your best bet is to choose a name that can be pronounced based on how it is spelled and spelled based on how it is pronounced.

If you refuse to do this then you must teach you child 1) To spell their name, slowly and carefully so people can write it down 2) To be very patient with the fact that nobody can pronounce their name.

Thank you.

Haha! I know you pain. I work in a library branch that would best described as "ghetto." Between our new immigrant patrons and some creative name spelling I never guess name how to spell a person's name. I may sound stupid but at least the name is correct.

@Arti: I love that movie. biggrin  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:08 pm
I will still be calling it "SciFi"

I posted on IMDB that. It's like he got a taste of being "the cool kid" and completely changed.  

Bunai

Angelic Blob

Lucky Charms Pancake
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:48 pm
gonk gonk gonk
I was really mad when I heard.. IMO, it's a stupid design and a stupid way to spell it. And I love SciFi.. But this almost makes me want to stop watching that channel...

Also I was so confused that day it changed haha

Gaiaholics Anonymous

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff