Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Daily Devotions

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you perform a daily devotion?
  Yes
  No
  GOLDZZZ
View Results

doistu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:39 am
Blessings everyone. I hope you're all well.

I'm doing a bit of research into daily devotions because I've never done one and I feel now is a reasonable time to start doing them.
I want to honour the Gods and connect with them everyday. I'm a bit kitchen witchy so I do see sacredness in a lot of things I do throughout the day but I feel doing a devotion in the morning will set me up for the day.

I wanted to do it in the form of a prayer and say have one that I say all them time and then do another for a specific thing that particular day.
But I don't know how to write a devotion or a prayer...So can someone give me some advice?
What do you do for a devotion?
Do you give an offering too?
What should I include in a devotion?

Thanks a bundle dfor your helps smile
x  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:33 am
I've heard that some people offer stones or food/drink items. You could also say a prayer to them and light a candle smile  

Beautiful Propaganda

6,300 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Hunter 50
  • Hygienic 200

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:51 am
When I can remember or have time, right after I get dressed for the day, I light amber incense and while I'm still holding it, I offer a prayer to Freyja. It's usually thanks and praise (I don't feel right about asking for *big* things outside of a blot) and ask her to walk with me during my day.

I don't have pre-written prayers. I make them up day by day because I may want to thank her for something new that I didn't realize the day before. Or maybe I need her to give me an extra bit of help with a certain area that I didn't need help with the day before.

I hope this helps sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:19 pm
If you want a Pagan-oriented prayer primer, Serith's book here might help you get started. Ravenwolf also has a chapter on devotions in her Cauldron book that provides some good tips and pointers. Both of these sources in general will say that devotion and prayer can take many forms. Personally I'd suggest looking at these sources and others you can scrounge up and discovering a form that works well for you. Some people simply like to sit quietly in meditation for five minutes reciting a mantra. Others will create daily devotions to the various times of day. You might prefer to use symbolic gesture and no words at all.

What I often do is incorporate one of the various written recitations I have crafted over the years. Sometimes I do things on the fly and simply let out whatever words wish to flow. I'm not real big on the traditional cakes-and-ale sense of offerings. I find my constant offering of birdseed to the local Winged Ones to be more proper for my path (and boy do they gobble things up fast!). wink If you like the kitchen witchery, maybe you could greet the herbs you're growing every day or something? Check up on them and see if the need water (gosh knows that's a daily ritual for me xd )?

In general, one could say it's about being mindful. Most of the time we go through the day with a general lack of mindfulness. The moment you stop and really feel the moment of now, in a way, you've done a sort of devotion to honor that moment in time. Just a thought, at any rate.  

Starlock

ncsweet
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:16 pm
I've always liked Book of Hours: Prayers to the Goddess (he also has one for Gods, though I've never read it)  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:34 am
Thanks or your help guys smile

I think I've got all I need now!  

doistu

*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games