Welcome to Gaia! ::

.:. Shadows of Africa - Moving! .:.

Back to Guilds

Reply [IC] Aka'mleli Lands [IC]
[PRP] I Wanna Be Like Youuu (Kamau x Elea)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ghouliboo

Garbage Spook

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:52 pm
User Image

Crouching low on the ground, the shaggy lion narrowed his light green eyes and stared out at the antelope before him.

One paw moved forward before the rest of him followed, his body attempting to remain as silent as possible as he crept closer towards his intended prey. Locks of messy white mane fell in front of his vision, and he paused to swat at them, surprised by the faint tickle across his face and nose.

The antelope reared its head from its grazing, obviously having heard the lion's movement. Kamau cursed silently to himself as he sunk lower against the ground. It was a good thing Mwenzi had flown off for a bit in search of his own food; Kamau would hate to look foolish in front of his companion once again.

He waited for his target to once again lower its head to the grass, before he resumed his oh-so-stealthy approach.

This time, he was going to take down an antelope!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:43 pm
User Image

It hurt sometimes to admit that she was no longer the best huntress in the pride, or the second or the third, but she was no longer as incompetent as a cub when it came to the hunt. It was manageable for her to run short distances, though her dead leg didn't make her the fastest or the most powerful huntress. Usually she went after smaller game, a gazelle at the largest, because bigger than that she'd need the full use of both paws. She just couldn't get that anymore. When hunting with the pride, it was easiest for her to stay in the position of where the animals would be driven to, and then she'd catch them that way.

But when hunting alone, a lot of improvisation was required. Elea glanced up to the sky, where Nadra was currently circling around some preybeasts. Nothing was unusual about a vulture, though sometimes the creature's reputation was enough to make preybeasts anxious. But her bonded bird remained high enough up that the antelope seemed unaware. So, they were ready, and Elea crouched low to the ground in preparation for the victim that would be driven towards the reach of her claws and teeth.

It startled her, then, that Nadra landed in front of her. "What are you doing?" she questioned.

"Well, someone else is currently testing the antelope. I think he's not very good and will bungle it up." The vulture replied, lifting a wing to begin picking at some obscure dirt.

"Oh?" Elea lifted her head, not quite close enough to the antelope for her to be noticed. She thought she saw someone... oh, there he was. She could just see the top of his white head... and hoped that didn't mean the antelope could see it as well.

Krysin

Tipsy Senshi

Ghouliboo

Garbage Spook

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:59 am
He could feel his heart pounding as he held his breath, readying himself for the pounce that would take down the maginificent beast in front of him.

Just stay focused, he thought to himself, repeating the words over and over again in his mind. Feet in position, claws bared, jaws ready to grab and clench. Yes, he was going to kill the antelope, and he'd finally have a decent meal (finally caught by himself, at that!)

Okay, he continued mentally conversing with himself, tightening his muscles, it's now or never.

He began to run, using the first powerful few steps to push himself off the ground and send him sailing through the air. It would have been quite an efficient pounce, had he not misjudged the distance between himself and the antelope, and for the fact the antelope was now quite well aware of the lion's presence, and dashed away as quickly as its hooves could carry it.

Letting out a frustrated growl, Kamau followed in pursuit, attempting a second pounce. He managed to drag his claw against the backend of the animal, but also was greeted with the sharp pain of a hoof slamming itself against his shoulder, sending him flying to the ground, gasping in pain.

"Damn it," he hissed between his teeth, not making any movement to get up.

Arghhhh, his shoulder STUNG.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:28 am
The hunt was naturally in the odds against the lion, and favoring the prey, so any little mistake prior to it could be devastating. There were always ways to try and salvage the chase, but it was better not to make the mistake to begin with. Elea winced when she saw Kamau shoot too early out from his cover. If he was quick enough, though, it wouldn't be too bad... but it didn't seem like he was. An experienced hunter would know that it was time to give up, that the hunt was lost, but Kamau continued his pursuit. Elea was sure that the loss of the hunt would only be more noticeable to him afterwards.

Relinquishing her cover, she stood up and began to make her way over to Kamau. She wasn't going to be able to hunt this area anyways, now, so she might as well see if the other lion was all right. It looked like he had taken some sort of blow to his chest or shoulder (she was hoping it was the shoulder, but one couldn't be sure from the angle she saw it at). Some part of her was relieved that he was only kicked by an antelope, and not something more sizable and fearsome like a water buffalo. The whole bone could've been shattered... and that would be devastating for any lion. The thought made her glance down to the dead leg, and dismissively she glanced back up.

"Are you all right?" she was a little breathless by the time she made it to Kamau's side, more from the quicker pace she had adapted than from only being able to use three of her legs. He looked in pain, which was either a very bad thing, or he was being over-dramatic. She hoped for over-dramatic.

Krysin

Tipsy Senshi

Ghouliboo

Garbage Spook

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:04 am
He had intended to remain on the ground, writhing in pain until the throbbing stopped, but his head jerk around immediately as he heard the voice address him. It was clearly not Mwenzi, as the voice was far to large to belong to a tiny bird, and as his shaggy head turned to look up, he came eye to eye with a light colored lioness.

He let out a very un-masculine noise as he struggled to rise, only to end up flopping back down on the ground, unable to keep balance. What in the world? Who was this? Why was she here? And more importantly, did she just see what happened to him?!

Humiliated, Kamau closed his eyes and took in a deep breath. He felt his cheeks flushing with embarrassment. Of course she'd seen it, why else would she be asking if he was alright?

"I have a feeling my ego was more damaged than my shoulder," he said, forcing out a half-laugh. Attempting to rise again, he winced as he returned to standing up right. Eyes looking downward, he nodded towards the lioness. "It's just sore, I've uh...got past experience with these sort of things. I'll be find, I'm sure."

WHAT?! His mind screamed at himself. Stupid, stupid, STUPID. Why would you imply this wasn't the first time?!

"The name's Kamau," he introduced, raising his head and meeting her glance once more. "And I apologize if I uh... inadvertently frightened off your meal. I hadn't been aware there was another out here, hunting."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:39 am
Part of her was rather relieved to hear that he had only damaged his ego, and not his shoulder... the other part of her was entirely unimpressed and unamused by the situation at paw. She sat down, unconscious of how she kept the weight of her body solidified on one leg. It was getting easier these days to think less about her dead leg and more about what she needed to do. The key was keeping her mind from wandering off, and focused on some sort of challenge or goal she needed to accomplish. Right now, Kamau was the perfect distraction, if only because he was a total mess... and he really needed some help.

He looked like the kind of lion that would never learn unless given proper and thorough instruction, at least when it came to hunting. "I don't doubt it," she replied just a little sarcastically, and eyed his shoulder as if she doubted it was really uninjured from the solid kick. He was a lucky lion, and maybe that luck could translate into a successful hunt. Who knew? She was tempted to find out.

"Elea," she inclined her head in proper greeting. "It's all right, I'd only just gotten to the area, so you were in perfect right to be hunting here." Nadra landed beside her and began picking at her feathers, and Elea afforded her a glance before returning her attention to Kamau.

"You jumped too early, you know, and you weren't nearly crouching low enough. I could see the top of your head from a mile away." Whoops? Well, not really. He needed to know how he screwed up, and there was only so long that Elea could keep the information to herself before feeling the need to share it with him.

Krysin

Tipsy Senshi

Ghouliboo

Garbage Spook

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:42 am
He could feel his face growing even hotter as she commented, the embarassment obvious. Kamau knew his actions were stupid, foolish. He had thought he'd judged the distance well enough for a pounce, but then again... he was the one who'd taught himself about judging distance in the first place. So everything could be called into question, really, on any part of his hunting skills.

"I-ah," he started, plopping his rump down on the ground as his paw absentmindedly rose up to rub against his other arm, "I'll keep that in mind. Thank you, Elea."

The name was a pretty name. Short and quick, but with a nice sound to it. Kamau's experience with interacting with others was just as limited as his hunting abilities. Elea didn't seem to be too much older, if at all, compared to himself, but Kamau was at least bright enough to know not to ask a female her age.

"My parents are dead," the young lion blurted out, unsure of why exactly he was trying to make excuses for himself in front of a complete stranger. "They died during the earthquake. So Mwenzi and I have been traveling alone, since then. Mother was going to teach me how to hunt, but...."

His voice trailed off, and his eyes left Elea to glance at the skies above. Mwenzi was due back at any moment, and he'd never let Kamau live it down if he caught him sputtering in front of another lion. A female one, at that.

"I'm sorry," he finally apologized, turning his focus back towards her. "I guess my mind must have been rattled up a bit from that fall; I'm rambling. Do you have, erm, any more pointers, for an inexperienced hunter?"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:56 am
She wasn't sure if she wanted to spend the time pointing out exactly all of what Kamau was doing wrong, but she was beginning to suspect that it'd be hard for him to find someone else to. She sighed, and glanced to the sky, knowing that she'd probably have little time today to hunt for herself. But, that was all right, the pride was getting a steady supply of meals, and she wouldn't go hungry. All she could do was try her best to provide for the pride... and teaching some poor lion how to hunt would definitely do the pride some good. The Aka'mleli could use some more able paws (because his were certainly UNABLE at this point).

She arched a brow quickly at him, wondering in fact why he was confiding that his parents had died so soon. Maybe he was just the overly friendly type, but she was sure that she didn't need to know about his parents, or wanted to. "I see, well, your mother may not be around, but I am, and I was a very good hunter." She knew that now she wasn't the best, and had come to terms with it. "I think all you need is practice, and a shove in the right direction. You picked a good prey item, so that means you aren't..." Elea glanced quickly up to him, and seemed to solidly reconsider her words.

"...incompetent. But, you have to know your prey more. Antelope are quick, and you've got to be close to them if you're to stand any chance at catching them. It also probably would have been better if you came in a little more to the right, where the grass was taller and the wind was pushing more against you. I suspect... the antelope had a suspicion you were nearby." Elea leaned on her back legs, so she could point with one paw over Kamau's shoulder and to the antelope that were grazing a fair distance away.

"You also don't know when to give up, which is essential to being a good hunter. Don't waste your energy on an excursion you're going to lose."

Krysin

Tipsy Senshi

[IC] Aka'mleli Lands [IC]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces