my Oregon update

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:32 pm
I'm currently in Medford, Oregon; I'll be returning home tomorrow. So I figured I'd give a breakdown of how my trip went.

We first stayed in a deluxe yurt- sort of a portable cabin, the deluxe yurts have an extra futon, kitchenette, and bathroom- at Umqua State Park, next to the Umqua River and south of the Umqua Lighthouse. It's easily one of the most beautiful lighthouses I've ever been. The lights alternate between white and red; it's the only working lighthouse on the Oregon coast that has a red lens (red's expensive, they mix gold into the glass to get that color). It matched up perfectly with Pink Floyd's "Us and Them".

We went up to Florence to swim in Cleawox Lake, a small lake landlocked by sand dunes. In Florence, we stopped at Bi-Mart (a miniature version of Wal-Mart that only exists in Oregon and Washington as far as I know), and there's apparently an ammo ration in Oregon: on certain types of ammo, mostly pistol and rimfire rifle, are limited to four boxes per caliber per customer. Also, my dad and I visited one of the government-run liquor stores- you can't buy anything harder than beer and wine except at said stores- and gawked at how expensive it was; a bottle of Cuervo that dad could buy in California for $27 was on sale for $31.

The second part of our trip was in a cabin at Cape Lookout State Park, near Tillamook. We visited the cheese factory several times, and my dad and I went to the Tillamook Air Museum. It's a hangar for the dirigibles meant for hunting submarines, converted into an air museum after the blimps were decommissioned. I'll post pictures from there later.

Also, Tillamook has a pawn shop that sells guitars, video games, antiques and firearms. And in a small town to the south of Tillamook, there was a store with a sign that said "Groceries and Firearms". Now I wish we had places like that in Commiefornia. I can imagine the conversations they have there;

"Yea, I'll take a quart of non-fat milk, a bag of potato chips, two Hersheys bars, and a Smith and Wesson Model 29."

On our way back, we passed by a military surplus store in Salem. If I had time there, I would have stopped.

I finally got my laptop, so I'll have more Internet access. Bought it in Salem, since Oregon doesn't have sales tax. I also bought Judas Priest's Prisoners of Pain, which apparently doesn't exist, and Led Zeppelin IV. I also got a novelty T-shirt from Weed, California.

As I said, I'll post pictures eventually.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:40 pm
I liked the Tillimook air museum. The Evergreen air museum is about an hour to an hour and a half away from there, but they charge an arm and a leg for it.  

Desert_Fox_Rommel

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:33 pm
Fortunately, they don't charge adult price until you turn 18, so I got in for kid's price.

They had two P-51s there the last time I went, a regular P-51D and a two-seat trainer, but the trainer was gone. They also had a Spanish Me-109, an Avenger, and a P-38.

I was going to buy one of the construction sets in the gift shop, but never got around to it.

Also, apparently the burgers in their cafe are delicious. Two airmen flew 200 miles to get one of said burgers.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:33 pm
Since you were in Tillamook did you at least visit the ocean?

Also: Next time you're around Oregon try to make a point to visit Lincoln City and check out Mo's. They have some damn good sea food. Apparently they go through some 300 gallons of clam chowder every day. If you do visit try to get in between the lunch and dinner rushes or after the dinner rush. If you show up with the lunch or dinner rush it will take forever.  

Desert_Fox_Rommel

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:28 am
No, the ocean was less than a hundred yards from my cabin but I didn't go to it at all. [/sarcasm]

I didn't get the sparkling sand effect at Cape Lookout Park that I did at Point Reyes, though. Still nice, but there were an ungodly amount of loud Russians at the park, and they threw a wedding reception there on Sunday.

And I think I might have eaten at a Mo's once, but it's been so long I don't remember if we liked it or not. We didn't go this trip due to budget constraints. The only seafood I got on the trip was some fish my dad bought at the markets, and some shrimp and chips at a dinghy little place outside of Newport. It was actually better than their fish and chips, but cost and arm and a leg to feed five people.

We also imported some Tommy's chili from southern California all the way to Oregon to make chili dogs. If you ever go to SoCal on a relatively cool day and you can handle large amounts of grease, go to Tommy's. They load up everything with chili; burgers, fries, hot dogs, even tamales, and they now sell chili by the bucket. It looks like and has the consistency of diarrhea (which is convenient because you'll most likely get that afterwards if your stomach can't handle it; it's the greasiest food I've ever had), but it's the best fast food chili you'll ever have.

Anyways, back on topic. I never got my clam chowder on the trip. I was going to get a "cannonball" - clam chowder in a bread bowl- at that fish 'n chips place on the way back, but we didn't go that way and I ended up eating ******** Costco pizza.

Also attempted the Cape Lookout trail, which is five miles round trip. After I nearly went a**-first on a grade (it's shaded and therefore muddy), I turned around. Noticed, though, there was a plaque for the crew of a bomber that crashed on the cape in 1943.

Oh, and I finally got to see a wild coyote; my dad nearly hit it with his van.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:19 am
Requiem in Mortis
And in a small town to the south of Tillamook, there was a store with a sign that said "Groceries and Firearms". Now I wish we had places like that in Commiefornia.
You should go to Albuquerque sometime. "Shooting Range State Park, Next Left." No s**t.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:01 pm
I got home about three hours ago, and we discovered that some dickless c**k-sucking piece of s**t tried to pry open our back door. He didn't get in, but now we have to replace a thousand-dollar glass door because some guy wanted to rip us off.  
Chatterbox/Humor

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games