Reply ~ Main Forum ~
Refusal of 100 dollar bills Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Bloody Loon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:17 am
The other day, I cashed out at the bank for 321.34$ They gave me 3 100 dollar bills, one 20 a 1, and 34 cents in loose change. Now that 21.34 was quickly spent on pizza and drinks, but that left me stuck with 3 100 dollar bills. And then I'm realizing. Holy hell, I can't spend these anywhere. I can't break them because no one will take them if they're a large business. The only place where I might be able to rid myself of them is the local supermarket. I've had this problem before. People look at me really funny when I use a 100, like there's some kind of taboo against them. I mean, if I really just want to break the hundreds, I have to go to the bank, which is a frustratingly far 40 minutes away by bus, or go to the supermarket and get this feeling like I'm wronging someone. (I don't like spending more than 20 dollars in one go, it makes me cringe...)

Anyhow, the point of this topic is: Have you ever been stuck with a 100 dollar bill, and not have anywhere to spend it? Why do banks give you these bills that you can't really do much else with but spend them all at once, or return them to break? Why is there such a taboo against 100 dollar bills?

So, not much to do with goth, but it's been nagging me. Thankles.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:13 pm
i, too, have had this problem.
people in stores either look at you like you stole the money or like they want to steal your money.
but i've had the reverse happen to me as well. where i used to work, everyone tipped the baristas with mostly ones. so i'd go into a store with about $50 or $60 in one dollar bills and again with the weird stares like i strip for my moneys or something. its awkward.

Ayame_Rikimayu

Macabre_Cogitation
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:39 pm
For a long time, I used to save all my spare one dollar bills.
I only liked having 10s and 20s on me, dunno why.
Well, after about 7 months of doing this, I went up to the bank will all my saved 1s.
I put $389 in the bank, in just $1 bills....that earned me some odd stares.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:16 pm
Macabre_Cogitation
Well, after about 7 months of doing this, I went up to the bank will all my saved 1s.
Hey, at least you never tried to exchange $270 in pennies at the bank for some large bills when you were 7. Only seven years old, and I still got weird looks.

I would have gone through with it to, were it not for my father who had to ruin my glorious moment of my first bank transaction. stare  

Henneth Annun
Captain

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:32 pm
You can always go back to the bank and tell them to give you 15 20's in exchange for the 3 100's, you know.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:34 pm
I thought that was common sense, Gil.  

Henneth Annun
Captain

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:38 pm
I never really had that problem. I make sure that my paychecks are cashed in bills no larger than twenties.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:08 pm
The only places I've ever run across that won't take a hundred are gas stations/convenient stores. Never had a problem anywhere else.  

Death of Cool

lavender opheliac

4,450 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:43 pm
If you don't want weird looks, then use the self checkout machines.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:58 pm
iBeethoven
If you don't want weird looks, then use the self checkout machines.

I would agree, but not all locations have these, and of those locations that do, not all of them keep them on 24/7.  

Macabre_Cogitation
Crew

MediaclCunt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:50 pm
Macabre_Cogitation

They probably thought you were a dealer or stripper. XD  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:33 pm
It's because it is really easy to turn a $10 bill into a $100 bill. You can check by holding it up to the light and reading the little strip of paper placed inside the bill. Once a dude I met who works at Wendy's had that happen to him, the guys in the car sped away, but got caught later and stuff.

So yeah, it's because so many people fake the money... and because of proper change, alot of places do not accept $100  

Angel of the End

rokkenrou

Party Pilot

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:21 pm
Angel of the End
It's because it is really easy to turn a $10 bill into a $100 bill. You can check by holding it up to the light and reading the little strip of paper placed inside the bill. Once a dude I met who works at Wendy's had that happen to him, the guys in the car sped away, but got caught later and stuff.

So yeah, it's because so many people fake the money... and because of proper change, alot of places do not accept $100

I wonder how much food you could buy at Wendy's with $100 now o.o

Most fast foods around me don't accept anything above 20.
Everyday stores n restaurants, however, do not discriminate ;P

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:58 pm
My bank has always asked me how I want my money back.

I've done weird s**t before like, "I want $360 in 12 $20's, 8 $10's, 7 $5's, and 5 $1's" and they've done it for me.

That makes sure I have a little bit of everything so I don't feel a need to break my twenties.

Also, I pay several bills to my mom and dad via cash, like my cell and my portion of the food and water, etc, and I can divide out the bills individually: $65 here, $72 there, etc.

Next time just ask for $20's back.

Also, if there's a Pei Wei Asian Diner nearby, we totally accept $100's. XD

Simim

5,750 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

AmsterdamGoth

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:47 am
I have never had more than 100 euro's om my bank account, but I would sure know how to spend it: CLOTHES SHOPPING biggrin  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff