Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
how much is TOO much

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:15 pm
how often do you actually perform magic or work spells?

just curious 3nodding

i, personally, only work spells out of neccessity, but i do craft talismans and the such for protection or pleasant dreams on a fairly regular basis (which i consider to be using magic, though not technically a spell)  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:35 am
I haven't cast a spell for a good few years.

I perform rituals in order to worship. I also make talismans, tinctures, amulets and quite a few other pagan crafts but I don't often see that as spell work.
It's more energy with intention. Not a set of pre-meditated movements, words and ingredients designed and worked into a format that is intended to specifically influence.

Say, my healing amulet is made of healing ingredients, their smells, feels and sometimes tastes and I give them the intention to heal.
But if I cast a spell I would pick a moon phase, time of day, chant, cast a circle, gather equipment, write the spell etc etc.  

doistu

scarlet_moon225

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:10 am
I dont cast unless i need too.
I dont think u can really do it too much as long as u have good reason.
i havent done anything in a while other than protection. and thats necessary in my house. lol  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:49 am
Depends somewhat on technicalities. What exactly is spellcraft and where does spellcraft intersect with ritual devotion, meditation, and other related practices? Honestly, what I do is so part of my day-to-day life, I have a hard time making a distinction between daily living and doing magic, ritual, devotion, what have you. Each day is magic, in a sense.

The necessity bit is interesting though. I've heard some decent arguments both for and against only doing spellcraft when "necessary." On the one hand, doing it more than needed can be a sign of greed or excessive self-centeredness; bugging the powers that be to much, if you will. On the other hand, it could be a sort of "preventative medicine" thing and some folks think the worst time to do a spell is when you're mind is in a tizzy.  

Starlock

Katsumi Aki

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:00 am
scarlet_moon225
I dont cast unless i need too.
I dont think u can really do it too much as long as u have good reason.
i havent done anything in a while other than protection. and thats necessary in my house. lol

Same here. Usually when I do any spells it's just protection.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:52 am
How much is too much? If your every response to life's challenges is magic - and if your FIRST response to life's challenges is magic.

Mundane solutions should always come first.  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

Loona Wynd

Diligent Student

10,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:31 pm
I personally use magic in conjunction with mundane activities.

I'm working on a self love spell right now, but also working through therapy and on medications. I use both. I don't soley rely on one of the other.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:22 pm
I like to use it intertwined with my daily activities, but I wouldn't consider most of what I do spell work or ritualistic.
Mostly meditation, prayer, creating herbal remedies and talismans and amulets.
But I don't tend to use spells on a day to day basis, I usually just solve my problems how any person would.
I find its most potent when used in the right time.

GoddessAttuned

Mind-boggling Fatcat

divine_retrobution

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:51 pm
i very rarely cast a spell, i make charms and the such but i dont consider them spells  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:54 pm
This then makes mw wonder what is a spell vs a charm vs an amulet or magical practice?  

Loona Wynd

Diligent Student

10,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200

RubyLight

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:13 pm
I almost never cast a spell. I'm too detail obessive and don't want any negative repercussions. I typically considerate a last resort.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:38 am
I'm starting to cast spells more often, but always when I have a need for something. It's always a booster of my needs never the sole process of getting what I desire.  

Loona Wynd

Diligent Student

10,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200

x-moon-x-daughter-x

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:17 pm
I don't normally cast at all not even rituals, I prefer to honor her in my mind, it feels more intimate.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:26 pm
I have'nt cast any spells this year either. I usually just focus on meditation and appreciating nature and it's cycles, but I also have nothing against frequent magic as long as there is a good cause.  

Arcaniss Vivian

GoddessAttuned

Mind-boggling Fatcat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:36 pm
RubyLight
I almost never cast a spell. I'm too detail obessive and don't want any negative repercussions. I typically considerate a last resort.

I fully agree.

*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games