Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Tutorials
Heat pillow ((to clarifye))

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Termisu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:45 pm
okay there been many of these so I am going to put this up so people can finnally know how it is done!

Take a peice of fabric 7 1/2" (hem leverage) by 20 1/2 inches... ((cotten fabric is best-- but fleece works too-- plus cotten is cheaper blaugh ))

fold in half so that the dimensions are 7 1.2 by 10 1/2 ( turn fabric uggly side out** this is SO important unless you want an ugly heat pillow)- you might want to iron the fold line but it isn't required..
s
ew a stitch along 2/3 sides. still have the ugly sides out...... hope you pinned it surprised

on the third side sew stich so that you have a two inch hole left.

with this hole "stuff" the 'pillow' with some plain uncooked rice. You might add some lavender or something if you have it on hand (will make it smell better)

close the hole by hand stitching

now if you put your closed pillow in the micorwave for about 45 sec on high you'll have a nice heat pillow

** cotten works best-- you can make other shapes and experiment but this idea is simpelist and works best.

This is a cheap and easy allternitve project... --- have fun and mabey post results to make me happy! xd yay for postyness and first post in tutorial subfourm!! stare  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:49 pm
yay for first tutorial postness xd

heat pillows are great for first projectness because they are so simple and cute  

I be me
Vice Captain

Termisu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:51 pm
I be me
yay for first tutorial postness xd

heat pillows are great for first projectness because they are so simple and cute
I know I love making them I am so proud of my first postness...

have you thought about making an annoucment about the tutorials thread? cause I am not sure they have noticed it yet....  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:30 pm
what kind of lavander stuff did you put in?  

Bunnybam

Termisu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:36 am
Bunnybam
what kind of lavander stuff did you put in?
just like dried lavender... you can find it usually at michales... like near the soap making stuff I think.  
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:41 am
kitchen hand towels work well too. if you get bigger ones you can cut them in half and make 2 biggrin  

firrantello

kmeister87

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 9:25 am
termisu

with this hole "stuff" the 'pillow' with some plain uncooked rice. You might add some lavender or something if you have it on hand (will make it smell better)

Shouldn't you turn the pillow right-side-out before stuffing it?  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:25 am
Also, once you've made the heat pillows you can make neat covers for them too so they will be pretty too.

You can make the heat pillows in so many sizes, colors, and scents that it's amazing. I'll be making my own when I have my apartment, I am perpetually cold.  

Yuki_Yue

Termisu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:39 pm
kmeister87
termisu

Shouldn't you turn the pillow right-side-out before stuffing it?
You aren't really stuffing it. thats why it was in " " you are poring in rice. There is no reason to turn it inside out.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:49 pm
Wow, thanks! I'm going to do this, and i have a huge lavader bush in my yard that I dont use. whee  

drunken goddess

Tiga Claw

150 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:49 pm
Variation.

You could use satin and exchange 1 third of the rice for lavender. Then you have a relaxing sleep bag. If you make it 5x5 inches then you have an eye pillow. (you know, for putting over your eyes).  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:13 am
Umm... according to your instructions, if you dont turn it inside out, the ugly side of the fabric is still on the outside. As are the ugly seams. ><

The best way to do it is to sew as you said around the outside, turn it inside out, then restitch aroudn the outside (this keeps the filling from leeaking out). Then fill and sew the whole closed.  

Silver Mist

Lore Lux

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:21 am
I accidentally burnt the one I gave to my mom.

So I'll be using this tutorial to make another.

sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:36 pm
If you put lavender in the bag, you may have to be careful if you are putting it on your face.

I think a lot of people (at least that I've heard of) have allergic reactions when they have anything with lavender in it on their face (not anywhere else, just their face. @_@)

It's either Lavender or Lilac, I'm not sure. I'm almost sure it was lavender.  

Avengedkid

Strawbryrain

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 1:32 pm
I have made several of these rice bags in the past, and they are wonderful! (They also make fine gifts.) I put lavender and dried mint in mine, since I grow an abundance of mint, and find the fresh scent soothing.

Here's an additional tip for you: You can also use them as a -cold- pack. Put them in a ziploc bag (sealed, of course) and stick them in the freezer for 30 minutes to an hour (or as long as you like, it won't hurt anything to keep an extra one in the freezer for emergencies). This technique is great for sore muscles and headaches. Just be sure of one thing.. never get it wet! xp  
Tutorials

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games