Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
how does magic work?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:30 am
when i'm asked this question i am at a loss for words, i just can't explain it because i suppose i don't really get it myself beyond knowing it's a manipulation of energies in some cases. so, how would you explain how magic works?  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:58 am
The alchemy in "Name of the Wind" uses ties between items. There are energy ties between those made from the same flesh, from the same substance, of the same shape, that sort of thing.

It's possible that it works through that. Energy ties between two things. At least with, what's it called, sympathetic magic. As for why throwing energy at something would make it change in a way you wanted it to change? I have no idea. I just accept that it works, in the same way that I accept that my brain works. Or that physics works. Why should great big things bend space? I don't know. But they do, and as a result I am on a planet. *shrug*  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Starlock

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:06 am
'Pends on who you ask. Some will give you all sorts of elaborate metaphysical explanations while others will chalk it up to psychology. Given that magical principles are for the most part non-falsifiable, nobody can really say for certain "this is how it works" (elsewise, we'd probably call it science, not magic). I don't have any one explanation I use, but I tend to default to science more often than not (then, belief in magic becomes more along the lines of appreciating the experiential awe and wonder of the mechanisms of the universe).  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:28 am
User Image
User Image

i've got basically the same idea as you, that its just manipulating energies. i dont try to question it to much i just accept that fact that it works. but i have a question as well... is prayer the same as working magic? i have this debate with one of my christian friends all the time.

User Image  

x-moon-x-daughter-x

Nattfodd

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:43 am
In Thelemic principle, magick has more to do with jungian psychology than mystical energies.

Magick is defined as, to us, the science and art of causing change to occur in conformity with will.

Magick is not capable of defying the laws of the universe, though it is theoretically possible to cause any change in any object that it would be capable of by nature.

"We must not exclude potato-growing from our definition."

The purpose of the Great Work in Thelema is to achieve the goal of one's true will -- the intersection between personal will, and destiny.

Therefore, we change our situations, ourselves, our environment, and our world, to achieve our goals.

There is a great sense of knowledge and understanding of oneself that comes from the disciplines of Yoga, ritual magic, et cetera -- that lends to adjusting your perspective. The adjustment of said perspective allows you to realize the course of action to better achieve your true will.

Many Thelemites believe this is more akin to Jungian psychology than the mystical act most neo-pagan practitioners refer to. Self-observation, Self-analysis, De-programming, Re-arranging of the human psyche... these are all more psychological principles than anything. Others are more hung up on the origin. Are we the gods, or are we tapping into a divine current all the same?  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:16 pm
Quote:
is prayer the same as working magic?

Usually with prayer, one is asking the Gods for their help with something, where as with magic or spell casting the we are the one making it happen. Yes we might ask the Gods to add their blessings/energy in, but the majority of it comes from us.  

ncsweet
Crew

x-moon-x-daughter-x

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:39 pm
Quote:
Usually with prayer, one is asking the Gods for their help with something, where as with magic or spell casting the we are the one making it happen. Yes we might ask the Gods to add their blessings/energy in, but the majority of it comes from us.

User Image
User Image

thanks bunches!

User Image  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games