Reply Chatterbox/Humor
Book club?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Desert_Fox_Rommel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:43 am
I thought a while back someone mentioned some sort of GGE book club or something. It's almost 1 AM and I'm too tired/lazy to look up the thread.

I guess if anyone is interested we should go for it. I guess for a first book in such a club the only book that would be acceptable is the first book on military tactics to be a big success.

I mean none other than Sun Tzu's very own The Art of War Call me a cheater if you must but I'd rather listen to an audio book than reading a large PDF of the book. If you want to read the book, but don't want to hunt down a copy there is the audio and PDF versions I have provided free and legal.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:49 am
I've been reading Larry Niven's 'Known Space' series recently, mostly the Man-Kzin Wars series. If you ever want to know how to take down a seven-foot tall, sentient saber-tooth tiger with nothing but your surroundings, or how to wage space combat with an unarmed ship, 'Known Space' is the series for you.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Desert_Fox_Rommel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:51 am
Yeah way to be ants at a picnic Fresnel. stare  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:59 am
I believe I was the one that brought this up last time. It's funny you mentioned The Art of War. did you see the History channel special on it today? I did and was inclined to buy the book because of it.

Currently I'm reading "The Eyre Affair" by Jasper Fforde, about an alternate London where literature and art is central to culture (I'm talking gangs fighting over art mediums and Jehovah's Witnesses types going door-to-door telling people that Sir Francis Bacon actually wrote Shakespeare's works and that he was simply a front man). There's something going on of an almost cartoonish villain changing the original manuscript of Jane Eyre, this going on to change every subsequent copy. It's like a modern crime drama in a wacky alternate reality and a good spot of humor. I'm really liking it.

Next is "The Last Thing I Remember", something about some teenager getting abducted by terrorists and waking up belted to a chair, having to escape, find out why, etc., etc.  

ArmasTermin

Desert_Fox_Rommel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:08 am
I've been out and about most of the day besides I don't watch much TV anymore. In the past 4 months I've probably only watched about 4 hours which was within the last week really. Anyway I got the idea from Sabaton's The Art of War album which I've been listening to.

The Eyre book sounds interesting. I might look it up. I've got a stack of Mack Bolan books I want to get around to reading.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:43 am
Desert_Fox_Rommel
Yeah way to be ants at a picnic Fresnel. stare
Hey, a man slicing a warship in half with a drive laser (because at interstellar speeds, the only reaction drive fast enough to propel you is a laser) is nothing to shake a finger at.

Also, I do own The Art of War in .pdf, I've just never bothered to read it. It's only 145 pages though, so maybe I'll bring it in to work and read it in my downtime.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:37 am
Blood Red Snow, Brothers in Battle; Best of Friends, crap I can't remember the other ones there was another that was about the German victories against the Russian armor, Blitzkrieg: In their own Words, The Memoirs of Field-Marshal Kesselring, Fighting the Invasion: The German Army at D-Day and Sniper on the Eastern Front (although people said it is fiction).

Did a quick search on Amazon;
Tears in the Darkness: The Story of the Bataan Death March and Its Aftermath, The Last Fighting Tommy: The Life of Harry Patch, the Only Surviving Veteran of the Trenches, Storm of Steel,
The Economic Consequences Of The Peace,
With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa, We Who Are Alive and Remain: Untold Stories from the Band of Brothers and Beyond Band of Brothers.

All of those books I believe are operator approved.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:18 pm
I picked up "Panzer Commander", which is the memoirs of WWII german officer Hans von Luck. An amazing man, who served on all fronts of the war.

Also read "Republic Commandos: Hard Contact" which is an amazingly awesome Star Wars book.

Both get my Seal of Approval.

Thdark

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:40 pm
Thdark
I picked up "Panzer Commander", which is the memoirs of WWII german officer Hans von Luck. An amazing man, who served on all fronts of the war.

Also read "Republic Commandos: Hard Contact" which is an amazingly awesome Star Wars book.

Both get my Seal of Approval.

When did that Panzer Commander book come out?
I'm surprised motorbooks didn't have it.  
Chatterbox/Humor

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games