Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Main Forum
Oblivion Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:37 am
So I'm playing this self proclaimed game of the year by Bethesda, and it's... alright.

So far the main quest seems pretty generic, and the system of enemies leveling up with you is frankly retarded. My main impression so far is that the game has its really fun moments, but a lot of it is pretty boring and repetitive.

Also there's a loading screen every 5 minutes.

(and in case someone like tron cares, the achievements are on metashodan not nightmareridley)

I'm going to get morrowind on my PC since a lot of people who like legitimate RPGs say that game and daggerfall are actually really good.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:25 pm
The game is pretty dated, the game was considered amazing during launch of the 360. So hopefully if you look at the game from "wow this just came out on my brand new xbox! its pretty amazing for gaming standards in 2005!" then maybe you will see why people like it.

nitnit

(and in case someone like tron cares, the achievements are on metashodan not nightmareridley)

And yes i have currently been checking out your score online XD and i would like to give you props for trying Viva Pinata: Party Animals, but thankfully that wasnt made by Rare. 3nodding  

Tron714
Vice Captain

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:53 pm
Oh, I'll admit that graphically this is pretty great (well, except for the characters themselves, lololol), but in terms of a lot of other stuff it's actually inferior to its direct predecessor, morrowind.

It's not bad, just really held back by some terrible game design flaws that are fixed with mods, unfortunately I'm an achievement whore, and the PC version doesn't have achievements.

Also viva pinata was from my cousin buying it, and he, myself, jonnnn, and one other guy played it a couple times, it's now in his possession, lol.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:57 pm
nitnit
I'm going to get morrowind on my PC since a lot of people who like legitimate RPGs say that game and daggerfall are actually really good.

http://www.elderscrolls.com/home/home.php

Front page. Look.  

Harrison Richardson

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:03 pm
Why thank you fieryblaze, but you should already know that all PC games are free... except for those where you need to access first party multiplayer servers ninja  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:31 pm
nitnit
Why thank you fieryblaze, but you should already know that all PC games are free... except for those where you need to access first party multiplayer servers ninja

Arrr, well I didn't know you be pirating! Avast, ye shoulda said something sooner. pirate  

Harrison Richardson

acediamond1013

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:10 pm
Maybe I have pretty low standards because I love this game. Tons of sidequests, Plenty of interesting DLC ( Shivering Isles rules), and a wide variety of gaming styles.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:45 pm
I have low standard too. I love the Shivering Isles, everyone there makes me laugh. I love the way you can customize your character, and the guilds soo fun to join.  

danna09

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:47 pm
Yes, the character customization is nice, but the sidequests almost pointless since most of the reward items are only at their maximum power if you're level 25 or higher, so if you care about having the best stuff at the end of the game you have to wait.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:12 pm
Well I'm now grand champion of the arena which was fun, albeit surprisingly easy. Seriously, wild mountain lions are more powerful than most of the people in the arena.

Anyways, I'm also a vampire now, which I'm liking - I have to continuously feed and have less power to stay in the daylight, or avoid the day and get some very nice stat boosts.

So, the game is a bit funner than I initially gave it credit for, but there are still some annoying little kinks - also it doesn't really matter how friggan big the world is when the whole thing looks the same. Plus after you've closed 3 oblivion gates you don't really want to close anymore since they're all very, very similar, same with the non-quest related caves/ruins and whatnot.

The daedric quests are fun, but the items presented often feel totally overpowered and gamebreaking (skeleton key and azura's star), weak and underpowered (the daedric summoning staff and others), or just right (most other items) - unfortunately most of the items are "leveled" which means if you want them at their max power you have to wait until you're level 25...

Also does anyone know just how essential gathering allies for bruma is? I've got 2 soldiers so far, how hard is the defense of bruma?  

nitnit
Captain

Haratio TaFotter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:22 pm
Lol, I don't see why everyone says they have low standards. I mean if you like a game, and have fun playing, who cares wether other people think it looks like s**t, or is generic? I am currently playing Oblivion, and I like it. My one major gripe is that most of the achievements aren't that hard to get (you can get all the Arena achievements in less than an hour).  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:59 pm
well, you'll soon notice that you never really get that feeling of being much more powerful than common townsfolk since they all get better weapons/armor as it progresses.

Also don't get any of the artifacts that are "leveled" until you're level 25 unless you dont care about getting them at max strength.  

nitnit
Captain

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:25 pm
Well I completed the main quest... and... well, it was a little disappointing.

I mean, they built up this relatively generic story, but they built it up pretty well, but the battle for Bruma wasn't as hard as they made it sound, and the fights against the leader of the mythic dawn and mehrunes himself were just absurdly easy. Not to mention the fact that the cinema scene for the big fight between the godly beings was done in game so it didn't look as great as something prerendered.

Closing the giant gate in 15 minutes was pretty cool though...

Oh well, many many games suffer from anti climatic endings, and this game's main quest wasn't really as bad as some make it out to be, although it was a little generic  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:16 pm
I too think the end of Oblivion was anti climatic, I really wish you could of fought something at a large obscene creature for a end boss. That would have been a nicer touch.

Even though Oblivion was good, I can't wait to see news on Elder Scrolls 5. Lets just hope they stick with the traditional leveling system over the system used in Oblivion.  

Tron714
Vice Captain

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:51 pm
Uh, sorry tron, but they probably aren't going to change the leveling system, lol. Only the original Elder Scrolls used a tradition leveling up system, Daggerfall had a very popular one where increasing skills in general boosted your level, and Morrowind/Oblivion share the same major skills system.

Unless you're talking about the monsters leveling up with you, in which case they probably will remove that since the earlier games didn't feature that ridiculous aspect.

edit: kinda wishing I played this on the PC since there are mods that vastly improve it (there's one called the unofficial patch that fixes well over 1,000 legitimate bugs in the game, lol)  
Main Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff