Reply Q&A (Are YOU using this?)
PSL?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

uryu ishida

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:48 am
Well, what is everyone's opinion of the Romanian PSL?
AIM has them for $700 plus shipping, but I don't know pricing standards for PSLs. As well, it requires an 01 FFL to order, but if that's a fair price I wouldn't mind paying the shop a premium to order it for me. He already bites more than he should for me (the TICS fee, sometimes discounts, etc)
And simply switch-up the money I have down on the Colt Tactical Rimfire and put it over into that.

EDIT:
http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Romanian_PSL-54C_7.62x54R_Rifle.html

And it comes with a scope and mount.
Two 10rd mags, optics case, sling, mag pouch, all the usual.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:16 am
Not a bad price at all. But, the PSL is not an SVD by a long shot. It's an RPK/AKM with a longer barrel. Looks similar, because it was designed, like the SVD, to be externally similar to the AK for easy training. However, it's less accurate, and parts do _not_ interchange.

Now, all that said, it's not a bad rifle at all. And for new manufacture of a military DMR, that's pretty good. Just be aware that you really, really shouldn't shoot surplus though that.  

Tier One OPERATOR

uryu ishida

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:43 am
Horrified Survivor
Not a bad price at all. But, the PSL is not an SVD by a long shot. It's an RPK/AKM with a longer barrel. Looks similar, because it was designed, like the SVD, to be externally similar to the AK for easy training. However, it's less accurate, and parts do _not_ interchange.

Now, all that said, it's not a bad rifle at all. And for new manufacture of a military DMR, that's pretty good. Just be aware that you really, really shouldn't shoot surplus though that.
Well, I can't exactly afford an SVD, mind you. IF I were charging for an SVD, I'd probably get a DSA FAL instead.

Why shouldn't I shoot surplus through it? Czech Light Ball isn't very harsh.

EDIT:
Looking around, it looks like it's no so much SURPLUS that's the problem, it's HEAVY BALL that's the problem. The heavier loads like the Belgian Steel Core surplus are heavy ball and beat the s**t out of the bolt. But Czech, Hungarian, or Russian LIGHT Ball should be fine nad produce more accuracy. Using modern stuff is a bit cleaner (more accuracy longer) and more guaranteed to be light.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:36 pm
Most I heard is that you shouldn't shoot anything through it with higher than 150 grains, no HBs.

As for the corrosive stuff, just be sure you can clean out the gas port and you're fine.

Christ, I used to have 148-150 gr, can't remember which, of Wolf 7.62x54R, but I put it all through my Mosins. If only I knew.
sad

Now I can't find any of that s**t. Go figure.

PSL is less accurate than an AK? OR less accurate than the Dragunov?

I got my PSL from JGSales, they wanted $20 more for the PSL, didn't know about AIM, anyway, the guy who did the transfer only charged me $20.
Be careful though, some people might rule a thumbhole stock as a pistol grip. Guy I had do the transfer was debating on it.  

Barru

Tier One OPERATOR

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:19 pm
Dragunov. It's an Accurized RomAK.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:40 pm
Barru
Most I heard is that you shouldn't shoot anything through it with higher than 150 grains, no HBs.

As for the corrosive stuff, just be sure you can clean out the gas port and you're fine.

Christ, I used to have 148-150 gr, can't remember which, of Wolf 7.62x54R, but I put it all through my Mosins. If only I knew.
sad

I got my PSL from JGSales, they wanted $20 more for the PSL, didn't know about AIM, anyway, the guy who did the transfer only charged me $20.
Be careful though, some people might rule a thumbhole stock as a pistol grip. Guy I had do the transfer was debating on it.
I live in a free state, so I don't need to worry about it.

Well, I'm planning on ordering a fair amount of Czech Light Ball, which is 147grn, to try out in the mosin. At the 7.62x54R.net forums, it seems that's some of the best-shooting stuff.  

uryu ishida

Barru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:38 pm
uryu ishida
Barru

sad

Well, I'm planning on ordering a fair amount of Czech Light Ball, which is 147grn, to try out in the mosin. At the 7.62x54R.net forums, it seems that's some of the best-shooting stuff.

I'd be saving that light ball for the PSL.
Oh well.

So, what rifles can use the HB stuff?
PKM?  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:17 am
Barru
uryu ishida
Barru

sad

Oh well.

PKM?
The Czech stuff isn't all that much more expensive than the heavy ball. At $4.25 per 20, it's downright cheap.

It'll be quite a while before I can get the PSL anyway. But now I know there are options until they sell out. Oddly, I didn't see that in the AIM catalogue that the local dealer gets once in a while.  

uryu ishida

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:01 pm
uryu ishida
Barru
uryu ishida
Barru

sad

Oh well.

PKM?
The Czech stuff isn't all that much more expensive than the heavy ball. At $4.25 per 20, it's downright cheap.

It'll be quite a while before I can get the PSL anyway. But now I know there are options until they sell out. Oddly, I didn't see that in the AIM catalogue that the local dealer gets once in a while.

Yeah, you can pretty much forget getting a PSL outside of a supplier to a transfer, gun shows are trying to sell them for $900, no idea about stores. I'd bet some have gun show prices.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:32 pm
OberFeldwebel
uryu ishida
Barru
uryu ishida
Barru

sad

Oh well.

PKM?

Yeah, you can pretty much forget getting a PSL outside of a supplier to a transfer, gun shows are trying to sell them for $900, no idea about stores. I'd bet some have gun show prices.
AIM Surplus has the FULL KITS for $700 + shipping, and if I beg real hard I could get the local dealer to order one.
Though It'd take months for me to pay a significant amount on it.  

uryu ishida

Barru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:01 am
uryu ishida
OberFeldwebel
uryu ishida
Barru
uryu ishida
Barru

sad

Oh well.

PKM?

AIM Surplus has the FULL KITS for $700 + shipping, and if I beg real hard I could get the local dealer to order one.

Ah that sucks. But you know the guy right?
I paid for mine to JG and had the shipping address to the guy doing the transfer.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:08 am
Barru
uryu ishida
OberFeldwebel
uryu ishida
Barru

Oh well.

PKM?

Ah that sucks. But you know the guy right?
I paid for mine to JG and had the shipping address to the guy doing the transfer.
We've been friends for about two and a half years now. We go out and shoot sometimes, if he ever gets out of work. Which means we USED to go shooting a lot, then the person who was leasing the range to him was forced to stop doing that (he was not commercially zoned and tried to start a bed and breakfast, and ended up having ot stop all commercial activities, including running the range, even if he was only leasing the range), and now he's stuck at work more often than not.  

uryu ishida

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:58 am
uryu ishida
he was not commercially zoned and tried to start a bed and breakfast, and ended up having ot stop all commercial activities, including running the range, even if he was only leasing the range
That's bullshit. Offer land use in exchange for physical goods. You're allowed use of the range at the price of one 24-pack of Coors a day. Technically it's not payment since no cash changed hands. mrgreen  
Q&A (Are YOU using this?)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games