Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Pagan Pride Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MidnightLetter
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:20 am
Most Pagan Pride celebrations are in September, which is just around the corner. Just thought I'd post a little topic on Pagan Pride, and find out what (if anything) anyone is involved in in their communities. Have you ever been to a PPD celebration? Is there are PPD celebration near you and/or are you planning to go this year? Are there other things that you do to promote paganism in a responsible way?

Discuss, share!! biggrin  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:38 am
The PPD for Maine is this Saturday. I am volunteering for an hour and plan on being there all day. There are a few workshops listed, but I hope there are more actually happening. I'm looking forward to the ritual.  

Loona Wynd

Diligent Student

10,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200

Musical_Vampire_Socks

27,300 Points
  • The Sweetest 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Converting 100 items 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:44 am
I have not been to a PPD before but I'm going to one this year here is a flyer for it.

http://www.mysticmoonevents.com/autumnmoon.html  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:18 pm
I don't do Pagan Pride. I think (aside from my own personal issues with crowds and being out in public) my reasoning for that is that I really don't have that much in common with other Pagans...and I have no sense of persecution. I don't need to go have some big event where everyone can see OMG Pagans Exist Amongst You.

I am not in the closet. I have always been open about my faith. So I feel no need to have an event where I get to hang out with Lady Pixie Moondrip and Lord Tuxedo Mask, and tolerate things I have little or no tolerance for, in the name of 'pride' or 'unity'.

I have the feeling that Pagan Pride events are popular with solitary practicioners of various paths. I know I was lonely, sometimes.  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

Loona Wynd

Diligent Student

10,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:15 pm
I go for the workshops and socialization. I don't feel persecuted. I have friends that run it so I help out there. I get something out of every PPD event I go to. This year they are having a Nordic workshop.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:35 pm
I've never been to one, to tell you the truth.

I'm afraid of going and trying to talk to someone about their faith, only to hear something that makes me want to claw my ears out.

I just know I'm going to see 16 year old Wikkans and other atrocities.

But, They're having one in Nashville on Sep.19. It won't hurt to go, right? There's bound to be a diamond through all that coal.

Namikikyo

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:23 pm
I went to a local gathering of Pagans a year or two ago (I can't keep my time straight) and it was enough to make me not want to associate with the Pagan scene in my area gonk . I have to agree a bit with Morg in that I don't think I would go to another one because I have nothing in common with the other Pagans in my area. I would feel either irritated or rejected.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:36 pm
Yeah...my experience last year was pretty bad, but I'm a sucker for punishment, so I'll probably try again this year. Really it's just in hopes of making some local contacts (of the non-fluffy variety). Unfortunately my area has already proven it has an abundance of fluff. gonk  

ncsweet
Crew

Starlock

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:19 pm
Been to one last year, will go again this year. The one in my state is quite new so I'm not sure how it compares to the larger more longstanding events in other areas. It was still great though; the person who lead the group rituals did an excellent job and I was impressed by their skillful incorporation of the children who were present. That plus some interesting workshops and a few vendors made the event worthwhile.

It's interesting to see the diversity of people and paths that attend these sorts of things, agree or disagree with what they do. Honestly, everyone there the day I went looked incredibly ordinary and down-to-earth. Nobody dressed in crazy faerie costumes or decked out in Witch-goth. Though it would have been fun to see some costumes like that. whee  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:46 am
Morgandria
Lord Tuxedo Mask

HEY MAN TUXEDO MASK WAS COOL. gonk

I'd like to go on record, as a Pagan goth, that people who ******** around being obnoxious idiots have probably never even heard Bela Lugosi's Dead and would probably ask who Bela Lugosi was. I.e., not goth. Additionally, I would fully intend to dress like myself whilst at any event and any retard thinking I was "omg wikkan" simply because I choose to wear black will get a hammer to the head.

OMG STRUCK NERVE MUCH?! Yes. I hate this BS "omg goths aren't serious Pagans they're just rebelling" nonsense. It always comes from the "I am so accepting and open-minded!" crowd too.

Anyway. I don't think there's ever been a PPD here. There was a Jesus week at the university this week, though. They had Christian rock. It was lame. I'm thinking of putting up posters that say

THOR WEEK
Come and hail the great Giant-Killer
by rocking out to Viking Metal
and getting wasted on mead!
HAIL THOR!  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Loona Wynd

Diligent Student

10,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:07 am
Whose Bela Lugosi?  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:50 pm
There is a huge difference between being yourself (which I have no problem with in any way shape or form) and the crap I saw last year. If any one of those people dressed like that on a regular basis it's be one thing (and more power to them if they did), but I seriously doubt it. Though truthfully not many of them looked Goth either.

Where I have issues is where people (who wouldn't normally dress any different than the average person) use PPDs as an excuse to put on a crazy outfit, and pass it off as something that "pagans" do. rolleyes Makes us look like a bunch of nut jobs. gonk  

ncsweet
Crew

Katsumi Aki

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:25 pm
*Sigh* None around me, and I can't drive so anywhere distant is out of the question. crying  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:05 pm
Sadly enough I missed the PPD where I live.
I was away visiting relatives when the comminity here held it early.
Oh well. There is always next year.

GoddessAttuned

Mind-boggling Fatcat

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:13 am
neko wyndy wytch
Whose Bela Lugosi?

Who's Bela Lugosi?!

Why, simply one of the sexiest men to ever don a cape!

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

And he was buried in that cape, mark you.

The bats have left the belltower,
The victims have been bled
Red velvet lines the black box
Bela Lugosi's Dead!

**lights candle**  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games