Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Sanctuary~* (answers and advice)
My friend is confused....Help?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ookami hime95

Hygienic Vampire

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:29 pm
Ok, so me and my best friend started a small coven, she has an incrediable gift for Wicca and she loves it. One problem, her boyfriend is an uber Christian and disapproves of her religion, she dicided to drop Wicca compleatly. She is only doing this because of her boyfriend, she's been pissy and mean lately, ever since she dropped it...Any advice?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:19 am
To start with, I'd caution you against saying you have a Wiccan coven. A coven, sure, but a Wiccan coven is something formal and very specific, lineaged through initiation to Gerald Gardner, that maintains the orthopraxy he set out.

Now then, now that that's out of the way.

Your friend's faith is up to her. What she believes in herself is for her to know. If she wants to stop practising for a while, that's up to her too. Let her know that you're there if she wants to talk, and that you support her whatever she wants to do, and leave it at that.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Ookami hime95

Hygienic Vampire

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:03 pm
Ok, thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:40 pm
From personal experience, it's a decision that sometimes has to be made. My hubby was the same way a long time, and it "forced" me to go back into the broom closet for a number of years. Though to be fair if I hadn't been already married, I'd have probably chosen differently.

Like San said, let her know that you are there if she wants to talk about it, but otherwise I wouldn't pester her too much about it. It's a hard decision to make and having reminders of what you have given up, is enough to make anyone cranky. 3nodding  

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

Ookami hime95

Hygienic Vampire

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:04 am
She's decided to be Wiccan until she's 18. After that if her and her bf are still together she's going to be Christian.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:16 am
Ookami hime95
She's decided to be Wiccan until she's 18. After that if her and her bf are still together she's going to be Christian.

Ironically, you can't actually be Wiccan until you're 18 wink

I don't understand, though. That seems incredibly disrespectful to the gods she's worshipping, if she's saying "I love you, but only for now, and in the future, I won't".  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:06 pm
Well that just makes no sense. That once she turns 18, something magical will happen that'll change her beliefs?
Maybe she doesn't understand it. It's not really so much of a choice as it is what you actually believe.
You can't be something like that if you don't believe in it, that's pretty much what religion is all about.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:51 am
She's just doing it for her boyfriend...She's codependent.

Ookami hime95

Hygienic Vampire

Venra Axel Prey

Wealthy Werewolf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:20 am
Sanguina Cruenta
Ookami hime95

Ironically, you can't actually be Wiccan until you're 18 wink

quote]
um, yes you can, it just depends on which path of wicca you choose.
at least, that's the way it is for solitaries.

and ookami, if she's decided that, then she would be classified as a 'seeker', would'nt she?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:39 am
EbonyxXxDiamond

Quote:

um, yes you can, it just depends on which path of wicca you choose.
at least, that's the way it is for solitaries.

and ookami, if she's decided that, then she would be classified as a 'seeker', would'nt she?

Uh. No.

She's a seeker of Wicca if she's actively seeking a coven to learn from, and is eligible for training. Meaning she is a proper person, and she's of legal age. Wiccan covens will not accept minors - it's in the Ardanes, and it's common sense for a fertility-based religion with sexual rites.

She can still be called a Seeker if she's a minor, but technically she can't really start Seeking until she's of age to join a coven.

The only solitary Wiccans are those who have been initiated, and then circumstances remove them from being able to make regular practice with their coven. Wicca is a coven-based practice that is nigh impossible to perform on one's own.

All paths of Wicca are lineaged back to its' founder, Gerald Gardner. Without this lineage a coven does not have the core practice of Wicca that defines the faith. So really...there are not as many "paths" as claim to exist. Most of what claims to be Wicca is vague, Wicca-inspired eclectic neo-paganism - they do not have the knowledge or access the Mysteries that define Wicca, but rather mimic the outer-court rites available to them, and attempt to fill the gaps in their knowledge in with guesswork.

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

RubyLight

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:03 am
My concern is that her choice of faith appears to be strictly linked to her boyfriend. By leaving her faith and considering his for no other reason than to please him is disrespectful to her, her gods, and her relationship. (Even though he doesn't like it, he should at least respect her decisions.)  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:34 pm
The thinks it's wrong, disturbing, ect. He does not even talk to me any more, since he found out that I'm Wiccan, we used to be good friends.  

Ookami hime95

Hygienic Vampire

*~Sanctuary~* (answers and advice)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces