The quest for the Dark Tower Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lord Barric Darragh

Prophet

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:14 pm
So, being as it's my favourite series of books, how many of you have either read or heard about the Dark Tower?  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:31 pm
Eh...no. sweatdrop .

Is it Stephen King?  

Paradoxismminant
Captain

Lord Barric Darragh

Prophet

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:29 pm
Yes. XP But, just because it's written by a 'celebrity' of the literature world (love 'em, hate 'em, either way), it's one of the greatest things I've ever read in my entire short life, and I'd suggest picking up the first book, The Gunslinger, and see about it for yourself. XP  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:48 pm
...Really?

Huh. Well, hopefully they have a bookstore with English around here somewhere...  

Semidis--
Vice Captain

No Gambling in Paradix
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:35 pm
Seriously. What'd you move for, Sem?

What's it about?  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:58 am
Get ready. This is gonna be a long post.

Well, the first book explains a lot (more than I'll tell here). It's called the Gunslinger, named for the main character: Roland Deschain of Gilead, son of Steven who is the last of his Gunslinger kind (kind of like lawmen, only these guys are set apart from everyone else by their guns as they're so rare in his world). He set off in search of a man named Marten (the opposing force of everything) and the Dark Tower (a tower holding all of the worlds, Roland's and everyone else's, decaying over time that needs to be fixed somehow) after the 'Good Man' and his legions decided to take down the Gunslinger-type government set around the civilized world. He lost his ka-tet (a band of four bound together through ka) during the final battles against the 'Good Man', and was left to wander alone in a cruel, unforgiving world of chaos that was slowly turning into nothing and everything all at once. As the last Gunslinger, it is his duty to do whatever he can to save his world, and all other worlds that will be destroyed if the Dark Tower is not fixed (or something. It doesn't exactly say what he would do at the Tower and I've yet to read the last two books).

The story itself sets itself off with Roland wandering into a small town along the edge of a vast desert with his large revolvers slung around his waist, following a man in black he believes will lead him straight to Marten (who in turn will lead him to the Dark Tower). Already not starting off so well with the people in town, he ends up finding out that the man in black, Walter as he is known, has 'left his mark' in the town's religious lady, if you know what I mean, and then destroys the 'mark' before it could do any harm, causing the woman to have the townsfolk turn against the lone Gunslinger.
Everything after that, well that's a spoiler alert in flashing reds. =_,O You'll have to read it to find out what happens next. Does he run away, does he find a hidden passage under an acient building in the town and use that to escape, does he shoot down every single person in town? Buy the book... NAO! RAWRAWR! XP

Oh, to get a more interesting side of humor in, let me also say that in the fifth book, there's actually a very funny concept going on (it may sound far fetched, but it's real), consisting of robots fighting cowboys. =D  

Lord Barric Darragh

Prophet

Ncrypt1d Threadkiller

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:39 am
Buahaha...seriously?? wow...

Humor and angst rolled into one?  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:08 pm
Well, there's not a whole lot of humor, that's just a concept I saw and exploited it for my laughing pleasure. =D

XD I can't stop laughing at it, though. Cowboys fighting robots! That's like pirates fighting aliens or ninjas versus whales, with some really cheesy technicolour movie poster from the sixties for each. XD Lawl, I can picture the pirate one in my head and I'm compelled to make it a laughing reality... >_>  

Lord Barric Darragh

Prophet

No Gambling in Paradix
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:52 pm
Oh, wow.

I can see them too...  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:29 pm
I think someone should make an animated series.  

Ncrypt1d Threadkiller

Lord Barric Darragh

Prophet

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:02 am
=p
I think that there was an official comic book that didn't last long about it.

Ooh, and since I just found the elusive sixth and seventh books, I've got an update on some crucial story plots I left out. XP

Okay, so there are twelve 'Ends of the World' (they're machine powered outposts of some sort, if they're all the same as the only one shown in the story) in Roland's world, all going around in a circle, with each opposite set connected by these 'beams'. At the center, where all the beams meet, stands the Dark Tower, tethering them all together, much like how it tethers all worlds together. However, these beams are breaking, deteriorating, almost. And three have snapped completely before the first book even starts! With all of the beams gone, the Dark Tower will lose all power (I suppose) and will lose its grip on holding together reality, giving way to a massive chaotic event where every world collides and destroys everything. So I suppose that fixing the Dark Tower is to fix the beams from the Tower itself.

Oh, and when I say every world, I mean every world. So far Roland and his new ka-tet have come across Stephen King's other book: The Stand, the Wizard of Oz, and Stephen King's other book: Salem's Lot, though I'm sure there are plenty of other references I must have missed, like Charlie the Choo-Choo (it comes up in the third book and I have a hunch it has to do with some other real story). Heck, if the Dark Tower breaks down, I'm pretty sure we'll have Genghis Khan fighting some strange anime character on the terraformed, oxygen-rich planet of Mars. =D  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:15 pm
Wow...sounds like fun XDD.

Kind of reminds me of Runemark, in the whole unraveling of the worlds and chaos thingy.  

Ncrypt1d Threadkiller

Lord Barric Darragh

Prophet

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:30 pm
Never heard of it. O_o  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:11 pm
It'a about Norse mythology and stuff...the book is about 16 CDs long, or about 5 inches thick. Google it...  

No Gambling in Paradix
Vice Captain

JuniperSky

2,950 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:01 pm
*stabs these books and burns every copy she finds*  
Honk if you love reading!

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items