Furry Culture, Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sanbika

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:43 pm
Hello all!

I am not a furry, yet I am a fan, and my bestfriend is a furry as well. I've never had a problem with furries, but I am new to the "scene" and I would like to have a better understanding of it, because it seems interesting.
So, I'll introduce myself and what not.

I'm Sanbika! I'd love to chat with you fellow lads on MSN possibly to get a better understanding of the Furry World!

My email is: Soganami2@hotmail.com

5th grade emails, got to love them!  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:48 pm
So you are a fan of us furries, eh?

I always find it interesting when people say they are fans of a fandom, but are not a part of the fandom itself. I run across so many fan of furries that that are not furries I am starting to wonder if you all should create your own fandom.

You can be the Furologists.  

Selene Aries

Sanbika

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:49 pm
Oops!
And if you guys could tell me your gaia name on here and let me know if you are to add me. That way I don't think you are some stalker 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:49 pm
Selene Aries
So you are a fan of us furries, eh?

I always find it interesting when people say they are fans of a fandom, but are not a part of the fandom itself. I run across so many fan of furries that that are not furries I am starting to wonder if you all should create your own fandom.

You can be the Furologists.

Furologist, sounds spunky.
I like it.  

Sanbika

Selene Aries

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:51 pm
So what is your interest in furries?  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:54 pm
I would have to say just about everything, besides the whole mating part, I can pretty much figure that out myself.
So pretty much, without the mating part, everything.
I'd also like to know the history of it, I mean it had to be created by some means of diversity, right?

Oh geeze, I sound like I want to be a Furry Expert.  

Sanbika

Selene Aries

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:06 pm
*cocks a brow* Well... uh, "mating" doesn't really have anything to do with furries. Sex is just another one of those little things that is just part of the human experience.

Anyway, the Furry fandom is just one of many sub-group that exist within the umbrella fandom that is sci-fi fantasy. Near the end of the 1960's small groups that attended sci-fi fantasy conventions started to focus most of their attention towards certain characters from various media sources. The one thing these character had in common was that they were animal based, or animal-like. In other words they were anthropomorphic creatures, not quite animal and not quite human but sharing aspects of both, the official media term being funny animals or sometimes fantasy creatures. In very short time these little groups grew in numbers and started hosting their own meetings and conventions to celebrate anthropomorphic animals and later on in a magazine the term "furry" was coined to describe these particular fans and stuck.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:12 pm
Selene Aries
*cocks a brow* Well... uh, "mating" doesn't really have anything to do with furries. Sex is just another one of those little things that is just part of the human experience.

Anyway, the Furry fandom is just one of many sub-group that exist within the umbrella fandom that is sci-fi fantasy. Near the end of the 1960's small groups that attended sci-fi fantasy conventions started to focus most of their attention towards certain characters from various media sources. The one thing these character had in common was that they were animal based, or animal-like. In other words they were anthropomorphic creatures, not quite animal and not quite human but sharing aspects of both, the official media term being funny animals or sometimes fantasy creatures. In very short time these little groups grew in numbers and started hosting their own meetings and conventions to celebrate anthropomorphic animals and later on in a magazine the term "furry" was coined to describe these particular fans and stuck.

Really? Wow, I didn't think it around for so long? Not to mention where it came from, I'm glad you told me this very much.
Thank you though for sharing the info, I always take great pride in people who aren't afraid to show who they are, whether it be from Furries to Punks.
I like you people for not being afraid of who you are.  

Sanbika

Cassidy Peterson

Garbage

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:28 pm
It really depends on what part of the fandom you're looking into. If you're looking into online roleplaying, there's furcadia and second life, as well as various chatrooms all across the internet, and any site with a notable furry population is likely to have people willing to engage in. If you're looking for information on classic cartoons, there are entertainment websites and various fansites that a quick google search can bring you to. Fursuits and accessories can be found at online auctions like eBay and furbid. Art is everywhere. There are even webcomics, like Namir Deiter and DMFA.

There is no real definitive "furry culture" because "furry" covers such a huge range of topics.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:43 pm
Watch out for the yiffy ones.

[-Erik-]

Durem Citizen

7,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Generous 100
  • First step to fame 200

WonderIandian

Magnetic Bunny

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:36 pm
[-Erik-]

Oh Yes, indeed.
X3  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:37 pm
I added ya, sweets.
One_Sky_One_Destiny@live.com  

WonderIandian

Magnetic Bunny

Sanbika

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:32 pm
Yiffy ones...
Oh dear.

I got your msn thingy Utzume, but I was asleep so I didn't accept, not to mention when I saw it I was to lazy to get up and hit accept. So I just turned around and went to bed. But I got you now. smile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:21 pm
[-Erik-]

Oh yeah. If anyone uses the terms "yiff" or "hyoomenz" or the like in a serious context, it's usually a sign that you should run.  

Shakeidas

Shaviv

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:09 am
Shakeidas
[-Erik-]

Oh yeah. If anyone uses the terms "yiff" or "hyoomenz" or the like in a serious context, it's usually a sign that you should run.

Or, "fursecution".

I -hate- that word.

Anyway! Since this is by and large a fandom that revolves around sensuality, if not necessarily sexuality, there's a lot of stuff you may run into that might seem kind of odd... and as far as the sexuality goes, it seems that the people in the fandom who are open about sexuality are more open, and more loud about it, than similarly open and vocal people in the rest of the world; either that, or there's a larger proportion of people who are open about it in the furry fandom compared to the general population.

By being open about sexuality I don't mean being unafraid to mention one's sexual orientation or discuss matters relating to sex, but more sort of not bothering to hide all the intimate details, up to and including con sex, which in my experience makes things very awkward for everyone.

(Dunno, am I a prude for thinking public sex is imposing on anyone who wants to use the space but doesn't want to join the lovers in their entertainment?)

Also, from what I've seen and read, the furry fandom is heavily white, male, and Western European / North American in ethnic background. Why this should be, I'm not entirely sure, but it's interesting.  
Adult Furries Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff