Welcome to Gaia! ::

Twilight - The Book, by Stephenie Meyer

Back to Guilds

Reply Twilight - The Book, by Stephenie Meyer
Looks Like Stephenie Meyer Has A Lawsuit On Her Hands . . . Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you think Stephenie Meyer is guilty?
  Yes, it is obvious that Jordan Scott's claim is nothing but truth.
  No, this is just a publicity stunt to draw attention to an unknown author with an unknown book.
  I really don't care . . .
View Results

.Bucket.of.Joy.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:05 pm
***This contains Breaking Dawn Spoilers. DO NOT READ if you have not read it and do not want to be spoiled***

If you haven't already heard, Stephenie Meyer is being sued by one Jordan Scott, a widely unknown and unpopular author, for copyright infringement. Ms. Scott claims that Stephenie Meyer's novel, Breaking Dawn, bores a suspiciously striking resemblance to her novel that was published in 2006, The Nocturne (which, oddly enough, I could not find on Amazon, the Chapters/Indigo/Coles website, the Borders website and the Barnes and Noble website).

Ms. Jordan Scott's argument is that both novels contain a wedding, sex on the beach after said wedding, a woman who is sick from a child with 'evil powers', a scene with the death of the main character's wife and a similar description of the transformation from human to vampire. Ms. Scott says that pages and even whole chapter of her book were made available on her website in 2005, prior to her book's release. Now, at first look, it does seem that Ms. Scott may have some merit to her claim, but if you read the very long and very detailed letter sent to Stephenie Meyer's publisher (which can be found here), you will find she has little proof.

Firstly, many of the quotes from Breaking Dawn are taken out of context. They would seem as though the two were very similar, had one not read Breaking Dawn. For example, one of the comparisons used was that the main character of Ms. Scott's novel, Rainier, had no 'pull' towards his dead wife, much like Jacob had no 'pull' towards Bella after Renesmee had been removed. If you had not read Breaking Dawn it would seem like they were very similar, but those of us who have know that the reason is not because Bella is dead, but because all along the 'pull' was coming from Renesmee, not Bella.

Second, Ms. Scott says the descriptions of the wedding and sex on the beach are too similar (because we know there are tons of ways to describe sex), when in truth, both are very traditional. The weddings are both described in a very traditional way. Both have flowers hanging from every imaginable spot (because it is so rare to have flowers at a wedding. Who does that?), use traditional words ("Those are MY words that people have been saying at weddings for centuries!") and describe the significant other as being very stunning and beautiful ("I am marrying you even though I find your appearance repulsive!"). And as for the sex, well let's face it, there's really only one way to describe such activities. The beach was just a coincidence. Honeymooning on beaches are very popular, and I'm sure that Ms. Scott was not the first one to ever have the idea that they would be a good place for sex (I know of another book in which two characters have sex on the beach, to you want to sue that author, too?).

The list continues on and on with more pointless comparisons. Yeah, truthfully speaking, they are close, but only when the quotes from Breaking Dawn are pulled out of the whole story like that. I've found that Stephenie Meyer writes in such a fashion that the whole story is intricately threaded together. A great deal of the events are key for future events (like she really thinks her stories through), nothing in her novels happens without a reason. If you think of Stephenie Meyer's entire story, and not just the quotes, the two stories are not very alike.

Plus, Ms. Jordan Scott is forgetting about the all too important rough draft for Breaking Dawn, Forever Dawn, which would have been written sometime around when Twilight was finished in 2003, if I am not mistaken. Once Stephenie Meyer slaps that down on the table, it pretty much diminishes all claims Ms. Jordan Scott has conjured.

However, I would like to know that you think. Do you think Ms. Jordan Scott has any merit to her claim? Or is this just a publicity stunt for her widely unknown novel? Do you think Stephenie Meyer wrote Breaking Dawn using scandalous means? What do you think. I would like to know. And Breaking Dawn has been released for over a year, why did Jordan Scott take so long to make her claim?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:45 am
they just want her money  

SOM3BODii TOLD M3

habiku

5,400 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:55 am
I think she's just jealous since her book isn't very well known and she wants to make some money  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:58 pm
I'm hoping for her to win, mostly because after all the stuff that's come out of Twilight (Cullenism, anyone?) really creeps me out. And maybe I'm hoping for too much, but my hope is that this may bring the Twitards and Meyer back down to Earth.  

Twilight Scribe

WineChan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:18 am
This is a complete waste of meyer's and jordan's time. There are millions of books out there who have the same story scenerio. I just read one the other day by johanna lindsey!  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:27 pm
Twilight Scribe
I'm hoping for her to win, mostly because after all the stuff that's come out of Twilight (Cullenism, anyone?) really creeps me out. And maybe I'm hoping for too much, but my hope is that this may bring the Twitards and Meyer back down to Earth.

If Jordan Scott won this case, I do not think it would bring them down to earth. It would open a can of worms nobody wants. First think of the insane publicity the series would be getting, next think about the hissy fit that the millions of outrageous fangirls around the globe will throw. If anything, it will only boost the popularity and awareness of the books.

Also, I don't know why you want Stephenie Meyer to lose just based on that point. I'm sorry, but that is completely ridiculous. It is completely unfair to compromise the legal system just for the sake of "bringing the Twitards and Meyer back down to earth." The only way Jordan Scott would have a case is if she had some real, concrete proof, and, in my opinion, she doesn't. Jordan Scott is making assumptions based on nothing.

@Kittycharm:
I completely agree with you. It is a waste of time. Jordan Scott has absolutely no platform in which she's making these claims. She's pulling the out of thin air in the hopes that people will notice her unnoticed book. The plot in which these two books have, are not very original. Stephenie Meyer had set up the marriage, sex, and transformation into a vampire in the previous books. It's not like these plot elements were pulled out of now where.

.Bucket.of.Joy.

_-Mitsubachi-_-Fujin-_

Shameless Elder

18,100 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:16 pm
ok, then should Anne Rice be suing these people to for using some of her ideas? Like WTF?

This is ridiculous and, like it was said already, a complete waste of time.

Ugh... I hate authors like that.
gonk scream  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:51 pm
.Bucket.of.Joy.
Twilight Scribe

If Jordan Scott won this case, I do not think it would bring them down to earth. It would open a can of worms nobody wants. First think of the insane publicity the series would be getting, next think about the hissy fit that the millions of outrageous fangirls around the globe will throw. If anything, it will only boost the popularity and awareness of the books.

Also, I don't know why you want Stephenie Meyer to lose just based on that point. I'm sorry, but that is completely ridiculous. It is completely unfair to compromise the legal system just for the sake of "bringing the Twitards and Meyer back down to earth." The only way Jordan Scott would have a case is if she had some real, concrete proof, and, in my opinion, she doesn't. Jordan Scott is making assumptions based on nothing.

@Kittycharm:
I completely agree with you. It is a waste of time. Jordan Scott has absolutely no platform in which she's making these claims. She's pulling the out of thin air in the hopes that people will notice her unnoticed book. The plot in which these two books have, are not very original. Stephenie Meyer had set up the marriage, sex, and transformation into a vampire in the previous books. It's not like these plot elements were pulled out of now where.
Sorry, but I can't help that I'm a negative person who is horribly cruel and revenge-seeking. But after the shitty fanfiction that was masquerading as a novel was published, I have to say that I'm ashamed of Meyer for getting away with that. Personally, I feel that the series has been hugely blasted out of proportion and has gotten more critical acclaim and popularity when it's just a mediocre book series at best.

Next, after knowing that Twitards will physically assault and/or attempt to kill people who share a dissenting opinion on the books only makes me fear for my own safety, as I'm an intelligent fan of the series, along with being a Twislasher. Somehow, I don't think that anyone would be impressed that I prefer Edward/Jacob to Edward/Bella (VASTLY, I despise Bella for being a shameful Mary-Sue).

Oh, and I haven't been too impressed with Twitards in general, so I'd probably just laugh at this if it did actually go through, and then go on with my life.

Twilight Scribe

YotaLife93

Conservative Smoker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:40 pm
shes jealous and willing to make petty accusations for money and fame  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:22 pm
I LOL'd.

I would be utterly ashamed to have my name on Breaking Dawn. Jordan Scott obviously isn't in her right mind. Who wants credit for coming up with the "stolen" ideas anyways?  

The Kraken

Dapper Dabbler

Dances while_she waIks

150 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:38 am
Twilight Scribe
.Bucket.of.Joy.
Twilight Scribe

@Kittycharm:
Sorry, but I can't help that I'm a negative person who is horribly cruel and revenge-seeking. But after the shitty fanfiction that was masquerading as a novel was published, I have to say that I'm ashamed of Meyer for getting away with that. Personally, I feel that the series has been hugely blasted out of proportion and has gotten more critical acclaim and popularity when it's just a mediocre book series at best.

Next, after knowing that Twitards will physically assault and/or attempt to kill people who share a dissenting opinion on the books only makes me fear for my own safety, as I'm an intelligent fan of the series, along with being a Twislasher. Somehow, I don't think that anyone would be impressed that I prefer Edward/Jacob to Edward/Bella (VASTLY, I despise Bella for being a shameful Mary-Sue).

Oh, and I haven't been too impressed with Twitards in general, so I'd probably just laugh at this if it did actually go through, and then go on with my life.

how did u even get into this gulid if ur not a fan?
i think scott is wasting her time trying to find a way into the head lines because her book was probebly pulled off the shelf. Scott shouldnt be wasting her time because Stephine Meyer had a build up to the main point of the book.Stephine Meyer is a well written athor whos books pepole have heard of and now(most people)like very well. we 'twitards" will and have stood and will stand by SM'S side and we will continue to do so. inother words NO 1 CARES SCOTT STOP WASTING ARE TIME!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:20 pm
@Vampire_Queen6194: I got into this guild, if you are wondering, because I am an intelligent fan of the series. The series has flaws, lots of them, admit that. I've read fanfiction that had me more emotionally involved with it then the series did, but I still like it.

Meyer's books weren't well-written in any sense of the word. They had potential, but she sped through them and didn't really bother too much with character development or characterization. If she'd spent maybe a year or more on Twilight, then I feel that it could have been much better then it was or if another author handled it entirely. She wrote the book in six months, and in that time it was published too.

I'm not going to 'stand by Meyer' through this, I've pretty much moved on to other things. I mean, I still like the books, and will continue writing my fanfiction for them, but I feel that the Twitards (the crazed and obsessive fans) have really ruined what little I like about the series for me. After seeing how they want to squash out dissenting opinions about the book, along with flaming (I have received flames on my work) fanfiction about uncanon pairings, and also ATTACKING people who don't like the book, mean that I have a rather low opinion about the fanbase.

What I can say, though, is that I still come to this guild because it's refreshing to see that I can still express my opinion on the books without being chewed out. You are the first person to do so, Vampire_Queen6194, and I hope that you're proud of that.

Oh, and I would like to point out that 'most people' don't like the Twilight books. There's a large portion of the population of EARTH that aren't fond of them or just don't care. I have a different brand of poison now, and I am damn well proud to admit it.

My new poison is Star Trek, and it is awesome, and I love it. And damn, there is an epic romance going on there I will not accept Spock/Uhura and it's got lots of layers to it. Plus, it's survived over forty years as a fandom, not many have that sort of staying power. I've been watching the original series and let me say: Wow, that is some seriously good messages that it has going. Where are Twilight's 'messages'?

PS. I've been a member of Gaia for three years, and I didn't really start posting a lot and being a good member until I got into Twilight. That is something positive. I joined this guild... after becoming a fan and thinking about looking into a guild; I was a member of another Twilight themed guild before it closed. Your post didn't impress me much either.

Twilight Scribe

_-Mitsubachi-_-Fujin-_

Shameless Elder

18,100 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:53 pm
Vampire_Queen6194

how did u even get into this gulid if ur not a fan?
i think scott is wasting her time trying to find a way into the head lines because her book was probebly pulled off the shelf. Scott shouldnt be wasting her time because Stephine Meyer had a build up to the main point of the book.Stephine Meyer is a well written athor whos books pepole have heard of and now(most people)like very well. we 'twitards" will and have stood and will stand by SM'S side and we will continue to do so. inother words NO 1 CARES SCOTT STOP WASTING ARE TIME!

User Image

that's just rude.
First off not every fan has to be like "OMG! TWILIGHT. I LOVE IT SOOOOO MUCH. IT WAS SUCH A GOOD BOOK. IT WAS WRITTEN REALLY GOOD. BLAH BLAH BLAH"

Some people actually have a brain and see the many flaws in it.
I'm sure many fans, like myself, like it merely for the plot if nothing else.

There was really no character development, and don't say Bella turning into a vampire was character development. It was purely ridiculous. My biggest issue was the lack of character development. The whole series should have just been written into one large novel. It would have saved lots of time and money for everyone.
And her writing... I can't even begin to explain what's wrong with it.
None the less I still loved the plot, the love at first sight kind of romance in the book... it's something I dreamed about as a child. How i imagined life worked.
That's why many fans are under the age of 15 too. My 11 year old sister adores Twilight, thought it was such a great book.

I guess I just can't understand many of the youths today because when I was young I was reading Harry Potter. A book that was written much better than Twilight. J.K. Rowling is an amazing author. She gives you everything a book needs in each book. I'm a Harry Potter nerd through and through.

J.K.'s writing compared to SM's writing looks like Shakespeare. Which is sad.
That doesn't mean I'm not a fan of the series. More like I'm not a fan of SM.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:27 pm
SOM3BODii TOLD M3
they just want her money
agreed  

Chouji Cosplayer

Beatbuyredd

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:52 am
There are many books with people having sex on a beach and she just wont sue them cause Stephenie meyer is so popular and yes stephenie had written down the ideas earlier so she is the original so to speak. The other is just trying to help their little, sad novel. scream She is insane and should just stop  
Twilight - The Book, by Stephenie Meyer

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff