Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reality: Resurrection!

Back to Guilds

relax with us 

Tags: contests, games, variety 

Reply 8: The Nerd/Geek Hangout! Here we discuss programming, roleplaying, anime, and other nerdy things!
Linux From ******** Scratch!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Da_Nuke

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:16 am
So, I found the other day this Linux project, called Linux From Scratch.

For those who don't know what this is about, it's basically about building an entire Linux installation completely and entirely from the pure source code, with no other programs installed previously. It's a challenge only for Linux experts, but it seems interesting. After all, by experience, Linux is the best way to squeeze all the performance you can get from a computer, such as that old-a** 128 MB machine we're going to give to our grandpas which ran slow like hell with Windows XP but ran fine under Debian ^^

Anyone has tried this?  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:36 am
well, my good friend has a pretty beastly laptop, god knows how much memory is on this thing but he has windows xp OS, mac OS and linux OS all on it eek dont know what versions they are though
he has a seperate startup screen to allow him to choose which system to run xd
took him like 2 month to finish it XD  

Giyari

Shirtless Ladykiller

Da_Nuke

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:31 am
Giyari
well, my good friend has a pretty beastly laptop, god knows how much memory is on this thing but he has windows xp OS, mac OS and linux OS all on it eek dont know what versions they are though
he has a seperate startup screen to allow him to choose which system to run xd
took him like 2 month to finish it XD

Which means he has LFS? confused

'Cause, you know, I have stood next to an Ubuntu installation and I can certify this s**t installs in 10 minutes plus maybe another 10 minutes to configure the GRUB (the startup screen) and other stuff.

Though the fact that he has Mac OS makes it different... Mac OS is not designed to run on an IBM PC architecture even though it's Intel x86-compatible, which means you have to do some weirdo hackwork in order to get it to work on a non-Mac machine.  
8: The Nerd/Geek Hangout! Here we discuss programming, roleplaying, anime, and other nerdy things!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games