Representation of the gods (I need some ideas) Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Vertigo_Kiwi

Tipsy Wench

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:11 pm
My altar isn't exactly what I want it to be right now, specifically I don't like how I represent my god and goddess (two cheap green candles, yeah.. not that creative is it?) So, I'm looking for some interesting ideas to help me out. I want to sort of get away from the whole candle thing, I just don't think it looks/feels right. I've had some ideas of maybe painting a medium size rock.. but I wouldn't know what to paint on it, or where to even find the rock. It most likely has to be something handmade seeing how I live in the rural part of Ohio and WalMart is practically the only good store I go to. So, with all that said... any ideas? biggrin  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:55 pm
What are your patron deities? maybe you could put something relevant to them on the altar. (i.e., pomegranet seeds for Hades and so on.)

Just make sure you don't eat them. Because pomegranet seeds are very tasty.  

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

Vertigo_Kiwi

Tipsy Wench

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:04 am
I see my gods as being more of a mother earth-father earth, so I don't have any specific names for them, or identities. Which kinda means that I'm looking for something that can represent the earth, and remind me of the gods.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:30 am
I have leaves, stones, acorns, and California peppercorns on my altar ... very earth-related. Maybe you could go for a walk and see if anything demands to be taken home?  

Jishin

Steadfast Explorer

The Bookwyrm
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:15 pm
Part of a center piece I had in our living room this year was a tree branch shaped like an antler, intended to represent the fall of the Horned God and the descent to the Underworld. I found it one day during ahike through the woods with my father. If I remember correctly, we were actually hunting rabbits that day, and is completely beyond the point...

So what is my point? Go for a walk. You said you're in a rural area, so that's awesome! Keep an eye open on your walk for any sort of branch, rock, or natural object that catches your eye and makes you think of your deities. If you're still set on rocks, look for them on your walk. As far as painting something on them, you could go with abstract patterns of colours. Of, you could paint a tree (or trees) on one to represent the go, and a flower of some sort, or an assortment of, to represent the goddess. Or possibly animals. The important thing in that it speaks to you.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:17 pm
If it were me, I'd probably favor a shed antler for the God, and a stone or something for the Goddess. A pine cone could actually make a good representation for either one of them- the God because its shape is phallic, or the Goddess because it's technically the female part of the plant.^_^

I remember once, while walking to my ritual area, I was thinking about finding something to place at the northern quadrant of my Circle. I had some sort of ritual tool or item to place at each one, but nothing for Earth as of that time (I know it's the pentacle, and/or a dish of salt- but I didn't have a pentacle to use in that way, and I didn't want to risk salting the land I was borrowing for ritual^_^'). On my way, however, I found a piece of driftwood which was shaped somewhat like an animal's head. Not really distinct as to what sort of animal, as I recall, but it had a knothole for the eye and the rest of it was shaped like the forehead and muzzle of an animal- and it even had a long, indented erosion line where the mouth should have been. I always felt an affinity for animals (moreso than plants) so I loved this little gift! It was perfect, and I wrapped it up in green felt when I wasn't using it.^_^

So I second the notion of going out to find something.

If you're artistically inclined, you could also try drawing something or sculpting it in clay (which is also pretty earthy). This might help even if you don't end up using what you create.

What do you think of as godly? What inspires you to ideas of the Masculine and Feminine? That's a good place to start when you're looking for something. When I was Wiccan, I thought strongly in terms of the Elements and their associations. God= Air/Fire, tall, sharp, projective, active, warm, dry, "warm" tones in color. Goddess= Water/Earth, flat, smooth, receptive, passive, cool, moist, "cool" tones in color. It doesn't work for everyone (and, as it turns out, it ended up not working out for me- but it worked well for that stage in my journey^_^'), and this is just an example of things to think about. At one point, following this concept, I had a satchet in which I'd gathered up many sacred concepts in trinket form. To represent the God I had a small wolf/coyote figurine which was carved from an orangish kind of stone with black speckles in it. The Goddess was represented similarly by a bear figurine of the same size, carved from a stone which was shades of purple, pink, and blue.

A search like this can be a lot of fun, and highly educational. I hope that you'll enjoy it, and I'm sure that you'll treasure whatever it is which you end up finding.^_^  

WebenBanu

Vertigo_Kiwi

Tipsy Wench

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:44 pm
Eventually, whenever we stop having rainy weather, I might go out and see if I can find anything. However, since the idea of using art to create something came up I was thinking I will most likely use a photograph I have taken. Which, for some reason, wasn't an obvious choice for me. You'd think it would be since I have around 50 pictures from national parks. biggrin that's alright, i'm slow.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:12 pm
I'd suggest something outside if possible. I've heard of people making small figures out of the earth it'self. Seems to work alright. I'd tell you what I see as representing my god/godesses, but I don't thing you'd like the answer.  

Leith

Vertigo_Kiwi

Tipsy Wench

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:49 pm
Leith
I'd suggest something outside if possible. I've heard of people making small figures out of the earth it'self. Seems to work alright. I'd tell you what I see as representing my god/godesses, but I don't thing you'd like the answer.

Why wouldn't I like the answer? What is it... the old nose of michael jackson or something?  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:23 am
Well, as far as a more earthy shaman approach, you could always keep an eye out for stones; a phallic one for the God, and either a holey (not "holy") stone, or a stone with a concave surface to it . (The two would somewhat resemble a pestle and mortar, but you get the idea.)  

blukattt
Crew

Leith

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:45 pm
Vertigo_Kiwi
Leith

Why wouldn't I like the answer? What is it... the old nose of michael jackson or something?

No. But my gods are rather well known, for those who've done their reaserch, as very sexual beings. I do not have representaions of them, as I have no alter yet (no room and puritanical parents).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:18 pm
Leith
Vertigo_Kiwi
Leith

No. But my gods are rather well known, for those who've done their reaserch, as very sexual beings. I do not have representaions of them, as I have no alter yet (no room and puritanical parents).

I see, though it doesn't bother me about the sexual part. If you did have an altar now, what would you use?

I've been thinking this over, and I think for now I'll stick with the candles, and then slowly add things... such as paintings/drawings, a few things from nature (when the winter season is over that is), and maybe a couple of other things. I like to change up my altar with the seasons, so I'm thinking something for each season would be good.  

Vertigo_Kiwi

Tipsy Wench

WebenBanu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:33 pm
Vertigo_Kiwi
I've been thinking this over, and I think for now I'll stick with the candles, and then slowly add things... such as paintings/drawings, a few things from nature (when the winter season is over that is), and maybe a couple of other things. I like to change up my altar with the seasons, so I'm thinking something for each season would be good.

That's a great idea- since your conception of Deity is so firmly grounded in nature, then images and objects from nature- corresponding to the season- will be perfect! Not only does it invoke the deities, but it's also discrete enough to give you a safe worship space without drawing unwanted attention.

Somewhere around here I think we have an altar thread- I hope you'll post pictures when you get it set up.^_^  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:00 pm
If I had my scanner working, I'd post some pictures as well.  

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

WebenBanu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:55 pm
Nihilistic Seraph
If I had my scanner working, I'd post some pictures as well.

We'll have a field day once we all get our equipment running.^_~ My scanner perished quite some time ago, as well, and I've been limited to whatever I can catch on my digital camera (bless my father and step-mother for giving it to me^_^). It works great for catching the current altar setup- but not for previous altar evolutions.-_- I'll still be looking forward to the pictures whenever you're able to get them up, though!  
Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff