Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Cosplay Help
Cosplay Help Thread-- Male Anime Characters Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

salsaplant

GO

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:44 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

This is a general thread for those having difficulties with male anime character's outfits. Post your problems and we'll try to help you!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:46 am
I'm trying to make a Sephiroth costume. Its my first time making one. But I don't know what to do for the shoulder armor. I know I'm never going to find a really long silver wig but I can do something for the hair. The sword I can try to make too. But I don't know for the armor  

Magsnetic_Huxling

6,850 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Jacky Strider

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:44 pm
@Crusnik- Sorry, can't help ya there. ;-;

I'm trying to make pants for Grimmjow Jaggerjaquez... can anyone help? Please? I'm almost tempted to make a really big skirt and sew it up the middle... lol.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:10 pm
@ Crusnik: If you are willing to make them yourself, I suggest checking this site out: http://amethyst-angel.com/armormaking_construction.html.

She has made an extremely good guide for armor making and it uses pauldrons (the shoulder thingies) as an example near. You'll have to make your own design for them, but that should be the hardest part.

@ Nyx: This one is easier to suggest biggrin As with most characters in Bleach, the costumes are modified japanese outfits, the pants being the easiest part to do biggrin

If you already know sewing its not that hard to merely find a pattern (either online or at a store) for Hakama (the name of the type of pants) and make them. I'm sure someone has posted printable patterns, so all it takes is a little exploration.  

Obscuranoxious

Jacky Strider

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:29 pm
Sorry I haven't gotten back to this sooner. xD

@Zanami- Dude, you are amazing. xD I wouldn't have thought of that unless you suggested it... lol.
Now, another question on the pants: My mom- being the cheapo she is- is "suggesting" that I use a plain white sheet instead of buying real material... if I cut it to fit, will it work? Or should I go out and buy material?  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:13 am
@Nyx: I would say get the material-- I don't think you're going to find a sheet that's thick enough to serve as proper pants like theirs. Plus if your top is a different fabric than your pants, it might be noticable enough that they are different materials which has always been a small annoyance for myself, so I tend to make matching pieces of the outfit out of the same material x:  

salsaplant

GO

Loup de la Soleil

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:21 pm
I concur, also sheet fabric isn't stiff enough to pleat well into a hakama.
If'n you're making white pants, wouldn't want the sheet to be so thin you can see through it... ahem, that's the problem with white.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:22 pm
I'm making a Creed Diskenth cosplay from Black Cat and I need his trenchcoat thing... It's the white one with black. Should I just get a white coat and sew black fabric on?
And where in the worlds could I find a good leopard-print shirt?  

dragonelf13

Jacky Strider

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Well... it's kinda late for that. xD I already started making my hakama out of a plain white sheet... -shrug- Whatever.
But now I need some more help.

My instructions say, "First, figure out what 40% of your waise measurement is (14.4 in),. Layout a ruler: When you are working the folds, you want the total width of the front piece of the hakama to fit within this measurement (14.4 in). Now, bring in the fabric on either side of point E (Where the seam for the crotch is) to form 1 pleat in the center along E, and UNDER theis pleat, two more pleats on either side of it. Each pleat goes under the next. Use your 40% of waist measurement to work the pleats out."

My question is, how far do I need to make the pleats go in? =/ I tried it but I only get two pleats...

http://www.sithvixen.com/tutorials/SewingHakamaPants.pdf <-- This is the pattern I used, it you need to see it. I'm on step 14.

Thank you very much for any help you can give me. <3  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:46 pm
I want to Make Blue tunic Link from Ocrina of time but I need help with the Tunic and the guntlets and Gloves  

UkeSebastian

6,000 Points
  • Voter 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Statustician 100

Roswitha

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:46 pm
User Image

I need some help finding the patterns for his jacket and shorts. Does anyone have any suggestion.

Also, because I'm a female and all, do you think it would be okay if I also extended the binding farther up my chest?

Does anyone have any suggestions for his goggle things?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:57 pm
@Dragonelf13
Reference pictures would be very helpful.
As for the leopard print shirt, if your in a hurry then you'd be better off making it, but if you still have time then search ebay, goodwill, any thrift stores. They are great places for random stuff but also it's hard to go in the 1st time and find something that is exactly what you want.

@Phyre Nyx
I actually tried and fail at hakama and then I bought some. You can try looking at cosplay.com if you haven't already, that may have some thing that could help you.

@CheshireCatCloud
What type of help?

@Roswitha
For binding you could do a couple of things. Extending the binding up is fine but you have a few more options, you could use flesh color ace bandages to bind with or wear a flesh colored shirt, the one I've heard a lot of Simon crossplayers use is open shirt binding (which normal uses sports tape) a good link for this is http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=15709.

For patterns look at simplicity, butterick, McCall's and anything at your local fabric store. The jacket looks like it could be made from a normal sports jacket pattern you'll probably need interfacing in the collar so it can stand on it's own (if you do make sure is fusible/iron on , it will make your life easier).  

Storm17

Tipsy Hoarder

Storm17

Tipsy Hoarder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:11 pm
@Pyre Nyx
Okay I was going through my bookmarks and I hoard anything that I think might come in remotely handy for cosplay and I found this:
http://www.sithvixen.com/tutorials/SewingHakamaPants.pdf
I'm not sure if it will be any use for you but I seems to explain everything.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:35 am
Storm17
Yellow_Ronin2000
http://media.photobucket.com/image/zombie powder gamma/killerofthesky/Anime Named/From Manga and Anime Shows/akutabigamma.jpg
The problem i'm having with this is that i don't know how to make the metallic steel on his face or how i would keep it on my skin all day. I have the fabric for his jacket and faux fur for it too. I don't know what to make the shirt out of to make it look leathery. I would really appreciate the help, thanks!

The metal thing you could make with anything from craft foam to sculpey you'd just have to paint it to look like metal usually some metallic spray and then you can do something similar to this person: http://www.entropyhouse.com/penwiper/costumes/helmsdeep.html
then you could attach whatever you want with spirit gum just make sure what ever you use is not too heavy. If you don't like that idea look for people who have done tutorials for Grimmjow from bleach, he has a similar idea to his costume.
As for the shirt I hate to sound redundant you could use leather which I know is expensive pleather is a alternative. Just look for a material with the look your looking for and also before committing you should find out if it will be easy for you to sew with, just in case.
I hope I've been slightly helpful and not confusing just ask if you need clarification on something.

No! You helped out alot, Thanks! I can't wait to get started  

Yellow_Ronin2000

[Psycho~Cookie]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:57 pm
We're all a little insane.....

User Image
Cosplay 1 Cosplay 2

So I'm planning on doing a Tony Tony Chopper cosplay from One Piece, but seeing all the cosplays, I can tell I'm going to have to make my own sleeves and I was thinking legwarmers, but I have no idea how or where to start =^=

....aren't we?

Cosplay Help

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces