Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Cosplay Help
Makeup and Special Effects Help Thread Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

salsaplant

GO

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:13 am
User Image

This is the general help thread for those having difficulties with makeup/body paint/special effects. Post your problem and we'll try to help you!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:37 pm
Just found a really cool site for elf ears! ^__^

http://www.aradanicostumes.com/elfears.php

Loup de la Soleil

Loup de la Soleil

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:13 pm
Uh, I was gonna do a crossplay for Zelos Wilder of Tales of Symphonia so I was curious what kinda tips ppl might have for chest binding? I'm kinda big up top and slimmer elsewhere so how would you reccommend going about that so I can look a bit more like a dude... I have a habit of enjoying crossplay so a quick, easy method would be of benefit since I take long enough to get ready in the morning with my cosplays.

Here's a pic of the character for those curious:
http://tales.namco.com/symphonia/images/con_zelos.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:05 am
I have the same problem so I was looking for what I should do for a while too-- The best idea is to invest in a chest compressor shirt. They're made usually for guys, but they dramatically squish down the twins and in a comfortable manner so you can still breathe. If you still feel like you're not getting enough compression, it's time to go to drastic measures [ones I wish to avoid, but usually do anyways]. While wearing the compression shirt, tape your chest down as tight as you can (either with medical tape or duct tape). Make sure you don't tape over skin! Peeling that s**t off huuuuurts ;A ;  

salsaplant

GO

Xxclub to death angelxX

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:10 am
Has anyone ever used liquid latex? I was thinking of using this to make my gantz cosplay look more latex like but I have never used it before and it looks like it might be pretty hard to work with...  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:02 pm
@Club- Sorry, can't help ya there. :

I'm using Spirit Gum to attach my Grimmjow Mask to my face, but I'm getting a kind of minor burning sensation. Should I expect that, or should I switch products?  

Jacky Strider

Xxclub to death angelxX

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:46 pm
Phyre Nyx

I'm using Spirit Gum to attach my Grimmjow Mask to my face, but I'm getting a kind of minor burning sensation. Should I expect that, or should I switch products?
Ohh burning is never a good sign. If I were you I would switch products. I heard that corn syrup works as adhesive as long as you dont get it wet. It might be a little too light weight to attach a mask tho. Eyelash glue could work too... how heavy is your mask?  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:47 pm
salsababy2889
I have the same problem so I was looking for what I should do for a while too-- The best idea is to invest in a chest compressor shirt. They're made usually for guys, but they dramatically squish down the twins and in a comfortable manner so you can still breathe. If you still feel like you're not getting enough compression, it's time to go to drastic measures [ones I wish to avoid, but usually do anyways]. While wearing the compression shirt, tape your chest down as tight as you can (either with medical tape or duct tape). Make sure you don't tape over skin! Peeling that s**t off huuuuurts ;A ;

Hm, not sure where I'd find a compression shirt, any clues? I can do a search online but I don't even know what they look like having never heard of those before. Sounds like a good idea though. I could try tape but I'd rather go with medical or athletic tape rather than risking duct tape, youch. Probs have on a thin fabric under the tape to avoid tearing and unpleasant skin removal.
Thanx for the tips. smile

Loup de la Soleil

xafantya

Proxy Fairy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:42 pm
Athena_kitty
salsababy2889

Hm, not sure where I'd find a compression shirt, any clues? I can do a search online but I don't even know what they look like having never heard of those before. Sounds like a good idea though. I could try tape but I'd rather go with medical or athletic tape rather than risking duct tape, youch. Probs have on a thin fabric under the tape to avoid tearing and unpleasant skin removal.
Thanx for the tips. smile

My friend got this one: http://www.underworks.com/996.html
She's a D, and was able to get almost totally flat with it. O.O  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:21 pm
xafantya

My friend got this one: http://www.underworks.com/996.html
She's a D, and was able to get almost totally flat with it. O.O

Ooh! Awesome, that's the one I was contemplating buying! :3
Since that's my size, it'll likely do much the same for me as I'd hoped.

Loup de la Soleil

Jacky Strider

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:00 pm
Xxclub to death angelxX
Phyre Nyx

Ohh burning is never a good sign. If I were you I would switch products. I heard that corn syrup works as adhesive as long as you dont get it wet. It might be a little too light weight to attach a mask tho. Eyelash glue could work too... how heavy is your mask?

Uhhhhhh... hang on, lemme check.
I dunno exactly, but they're really light. They're jsut made out of Model Magic, so it can't be that hard to stick on... right?  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:49 am
I need some ideas on what to use to make a convincing burn-mark scar.

I'm trying to do Mello from Death Note. I could of course go without the scar, but the scar just makes him look cooler >> ((it'd also be nice to stand out from other mello cosplayers who don't have the scar...))

Reference photo!! biggrin
http://miss-ninja.deviantart.com/art/Mello-88326425  

FreakingCosmicKid

XAngelswingsX

3,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
  • Cart Raider 100
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:31 am
Hello~

I have to paint a large dragon tattoo on one side of my face, that runs down my neck and onto my chest (although you can no longer see that part, it's under the clothes entirely). I have pictures of the tattoo and was planning on drawing it on paper myself too for practice and in order to get a good view of it. Can you give me some hints or tips on how to succesfully draw/paint it on my face? I don't have any friends around who could do it for me, and my mom has no real drawing talent I'm afraid ^^'.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:39 pm
Hey there guys! I'm cosplaying as Invader Zim for Oni-con. I've figured out everything I would need for the cosplay, including his pack (Paper mache balloon ftw) and I just need to find a reputable and effective lime green body paint. I don't want to use the cheap Halloween store paint because it will wear off too fast and looks cheesy, so I was thinking of going theatrical.

The paint would need to be the right color, like I said above lime green, and able to stay on my face and neck for the whole day. I would also need help figuring out how much I should get to cover from my collar bone area up to my face.

Thank you. : 3

Fem-inja

Loup de la Soleil

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:58 pm
Yay, I got my compresson shirt in the mail the other day! It works awesome! The only hard part is that I nearly suffocate getting it over my head, so I have to step into it and slide it up, lmao. I'd ordered it to fit as if I had no boobies and afterwards it certainly looked as such. Definitely reccommending those from now on. :3

@Fem-inja: Thumbs up to you, Zim ftw.

Cosplay Help

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces