Welcome to Gaia! ::

~*The Surreal Sanctuary*~

Back to Guilds

This guild is a safe haven for the literate of Gaia. It is a hang-out where otakus, writers, readers, artists, and musicians can have fun. 

Tags: anime, roleplay, writer, books, gold 

Reply *♦*The Writers' Oasis*♦*
Flash Fiction. . .

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you prefer Flash Fiction or Short Stories?
  Flash Fiction
  Short Stories
  Either
  Neither
View Results

EitaK Everlasting

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:58 am
is my favorite. Please Click Here to view and vote my work. Also, leave your own works here. I appreciate critism.

Discuss: Your own Flash fiction, Flash fiction vs short stories, and anything else you'd like  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:06 am
Personally, I enjoy flash fiction because you only have a page or less to portray an idea or feeling to the reader. Short stories are fine but I feel it takes a certain talent to be able to condense a text into something small and still maintain the feeling or theme you're trying to illustrate to the reader. However, it also takes more of a talent to write a full beginning, middle, and end for short stories (and for full novels) that I seem to lack, or that I am simply too lazy to do.  

EitaK Everlasting

Otulissa
Captain

Eloquent Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:40 am
Oh... I've actually never heard of Flash Fiction before .xD I've heard of Sprint-Writes, which are pretty similar. In Writing Club, we do many Sprint-Writes, which is basically a very short piece of writing done in ten minutes or less, with no editing or revising. You write as well as you can without lifting your pencil/pen from the paper, and once you are done, then you can go back and edit/revise. They usually come out like Flash Fictions. ^_^ Hm... So are Flash Fictions like oneshots?  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:46 am
They don't really have to be one-shots. (I go to writers club at my school too, btw, Lolz!) Basically theyre just one-pagers meant to leave some kind of emotional understanding or other reflective statement. Basically to leave the reader thinking in a short period of time. Short stories do basically the same thing but where flash fiction/smoke-long writing is about a specific scene, short stories are the development of an event, so a little longer and clearer. I feel like an english teacher now. . I over-explain things sometimes, sorry. Oh, and "smoke-longs" means stories shorter than the time to smoke a cigarette.  

EitaK Everlasting

Otulissa
Captain

Eloquent Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:11 am
Oh, cool~! Thanks for the explanation! You would make a great teacher. 3nodding

So, flash fiction is usually the result of Sprint-writes then. wink  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:54 pm
Thanks, and yeah, prolly. I rewrote mine once and liked it, though it's like anything else, sometimes it needs several revisions or none, Lolz!  

EitaK Everlasting

Otulissa
Captain

Eloquent Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:40 pm
Sprint-Writes can be revised, I think, but sometimes it can inspire a piece of poetry, or a novel, or something else completely. I've only done two sprint-writes though... xD One at Writing club and one on my own.

By the way, our school cancelled the Writing Club. sad  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:02 pm
That sucks. I wouldn't write much if it weren't for my writers club. I've been confirmed that mine is happening next week, but we dont know the teachers who are doing it so idk.. .  

EitaK Everlasting

Otulissa
Captain

Eloquent Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:06 pm
Yeah, it really does suck. sad

Haha, I only free-write a lot in the summer time. XD;; During the school year I only write for school...no free-writing. sad  
*♦*The Writers' Oasis*♦*

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games