Welcome to Gaia! ::

Geocaching Guild

Back to Guilds

A high tech treasure hunting game using handheld GPS units. 

Tags: geocaching, hiking, camping, treasure, adventure 

Reply Geocaching Guild
Wrong Coordinates Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Cache much?
  not enough
View Results

7raindrops

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:00 pm
So I have this cache really close to my home and I have tried to find it about four to five different times.
I am not a complete noob. But I am not super great. I only have about 30
ish caches.

So I checked the coordinates, and double checks and looked at the hint, and looked at the past finds and still I can not find it. The actual coordinates have me ten feet into the river and all along the banks are huge rocks.

Do you have any ideas on to how to find this cache?
Others have found it since I have been looking so I know it's still there

Have you had this happen to you? What did you do? What do you suggest? Have you placed a cache that others have had problems with?  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:21 pm
I think all Cachers have this problem at one time. First step make sure you gps is calibrated. Second bring some one with you, some times you need a new set of eyes. Third do not give up when you do finally find it you will be like "How the hell did I miss that". Good Luck and keep on Caching.  

DenvoPryde

3,800 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

7raindrops

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:22 pm
wel I have boon caching with my boyfriend and we both just can't seem to find this one. How do you calibrate a gps?  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:58 am
What is the cache area like besides having a river? Any steep hills or tall trees to block half the sky? As was posted in another thread, GPS accuracy sometimes varies by anywhere between 9 to 18 feet even in an area with a good view of the sky.

Does that cache say it is a regular size? Micro? Nano? What is the hint like? Some cachers get clever and hide their cache in plain sight. One guy here in the Louisville area like to hang it far overhead in the trees using an almost invisible fishing line. You have to trace the line back to its anchor point and lower the cache.

There are some who are using fake rocks or specially hollowed out logs. It could be a magnetic key case holding only a log sheet and hiding inside a nearby metal sign post or something.  

Esper Ranger
Captain

O.G. Explorer

6,750 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Friendly 100

DenvoPryde

3,800 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:41 pm
7raindrops
How do you calibrate a gps?

If you have a Garmin just go into your compass screen and check the options. You will get instructions from there. If you do not have a garmin I do not know.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:08 pm
It is a small cache

located under two bridges near a river

the hint is about peter pan and how your should wave your hankerchiefs to save tinkerbell.

there are no trees

just a ton of rocks on the ground on a steep hill that leads to the river

sigh I do not have a garmin, but everyone says that the coordinates lead them ten feet into the water.

I went again yesterday with my bf and still nothing. fell and scraped up my arm and knee  

7raindrops

lightning_fall

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:38 am
The only advice I can think to give you is a tactic many geocachers use when the coords are off...
"If I was going to hide a cache around here, where would I put it"
I finds this helps alot, and gets you to focus more on possible spots then an iffy reading on the GPS.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:12 pm
ahhh, I shall take that approch the next time.  

7raindrops

7raindrops

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:26 pm
ok someone recently found this cache which means that it is still there arrrggg I WILL FIND THIS CACHE  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:07 pm
ok one of the more recent cachers has left new coordinates, so next chance I get I am going out and finding this cache. have any of you had a cache like this?  

7raindrops

Esper Ranger
Captain

O.G. Explorer

6,750 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:08 pm
Could you please post the cache waypoint code (top right of the cache page) so I could take a look at it? Or provide a link to the page? Thanks. ninja  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:35 pm
Sure thing

GC17TCW

and...

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=f76bb43a-7690-4cb4-9f36-11c81bb99df2  

7raindrops

7raindrops

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:48 am
Ok so this is what I think happened. There is an island near the river called Bass island. I thought that the cache was under the bridges near Bass island, because this cache had bass island as being where the cache was.

I think and will go out later this week to prove to myself. There are two bridges above bass island one is for cars and one is for bikes. So I think that it's above where I have been looking on the bike trail. Which makes me feel silly but hey it's the fun of the cache  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:58 pm
Good luck with it. I couldn't make heads or tails of the description or the clue. This listing has too much storytelling and not enough about the cache itself. I don't think it will make any top ten lists among hard core cachers.  

Esper Ranger
Captain

O.G. Explorer

6,750 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Friendly 100

7raindrops

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:10 pm
Finally found it. It was not any where near the river, or on the bike trail. It was near the cement retaining wall. Boy do I feel silly. haha The coordinates had it in the river, then the fixed coordinates were about ten feet away from the river. Still a good fifty feet from where it was found.  
Geocaching Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff