Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Buying and Advice
Rifles chambered for .44 magnum: opinions?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:23 pm
Anyone here own a rifle chambered for the venerable .44 magnum round?

I'm thinking that I don't want to rely only on my .20 gauge deer rifle if I encounter a significant threat in the back country of Idaho. It's close enough to be concerned over black bear if they're forced down out of the mountains due to drought.

Anyway, who has a .44 magnum rifle or carbine?  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:49 pm
The lever-rifles look nice, but I haven't gotten to fire one.

What about getting slugs for the 20 gauge?

If you're thinking about it, unless you're actually going to HUNT with the .44MAG rifle (which people do), I'd suggest a revolver so that it isn't as cumbersome ot carry as a rifle and a shotgun.  

uryu ishida

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:46 pm
uryu ishida
The lever-rifles look nice, but I haven't gotten to fire one.

What about getting slugs for the 20 gauge?

If you're thinking about it, unless you're actually going to HUNT with the .44MAG rifle (which people do), I'd suggest a revolver so that it isn't as cumbersome ot carry as a rifle and a shotgun.

The price per round of deer slug for 20 gauge ranges from a buck to three bucks each, make and variety taken as variables.

I'll be sporting a .45ACP for my open carry, so I would like something for the 100 yard neighborhood. Granted when I'm hunting, I won't be as concerned. I'm thinking more of when I have 5 acres with woods (and it's beginning to look a lot like I might be very close to buying a big lot!). biggrin  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:23 am
A guy I work with praised his Ruger 99/44, which is a semi-auto .44 with a four round magazine. He describes it as a 10/22 chambered in .44.  

OO23OO

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:15 am
Floyd
The price per round of deer slug for 20 gauge ranges from a buck to three bucks each, make and variety taken as variables.
But five bucks for slugs is cheaper than two hundred bucks for a new rifle. And if you only use them for protection, they'll last for years.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:01 pm
I've seen some really beautiful lever actions that fire .44 magnum.
I'm a sucker for blued steel, wood and octagon barrels.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/Cowboy/1894_45Colt.asp

Granted this model has a more plain style wood than others.

Other than my brother's Winchester mod 94 I haven't shot very many.  

OberFeldwebel

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:02 am
A quick follow up.

It appears that the worst I can expect where I'll be living won't be black bear after all. We're too far out of their range in this part of the state.

But I watched a coyote running at about 40 miles an hour across an empty 100 acre field neighboring the property I'm renting short term early this morning. I feel safe enough with my .380 in my pocket when dealing with coyotes.

The dust and insect problems here make remaining in this house impossible. I've found a part of Boise I've fallen in love with (South Boise, to be specific). Dirt cheap housing and nice folks.

Plenty of shooting ranges around. I'm in heaven!  
Buying and Advice

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games