Welcome to Gaia! ::

Geocaching Guild

Back to Guilds

A high tech treasure hunting game using handheld GPS units. 

Tags: geocaching, hiking, camping, treasure, adventure 

Reply Geocaching Guild
6th Annual (geo) Octoberfest in Bardstown, KY

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Esper Ranger
Captain

O.G. Explorer

6,750 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:27 pm
Waypoint: GC1QQ1F

This event is held on an old farm in Bardstown, KY belonging to a member of the INKY (Indiana/Kentucky) geocaching group (actually his aunt). It has been turned into a spot that is rented out for events such as wedding receptions and family reunions. It has a lake with paddle boats, a large pavilion with electricity (for cooking equipment or computers) and lots and lots of space for tents (grass is cut regularly). Even though you can hear a highway nearby, we are surrounded by woods on almost every side.

It is free for us to use since the event season is over by October. Each year we get a ton of people. Usually 30+ tents set up and some people staying in nearby motels too.

We have a huge bonfire on Friday and Saturday nights with music played on guitar, cooking contests, a haunted barn and trick or treating for the kids (costume contest too). Lots of relaxing or geocaching in nearby Bardstown.

Friday night is Hobo Night: GC1WE04

Saturday is October Fest: GC1QQ1F

Sunday morning is breakfast: GC1TX6M

All three of these count as separate event caches to bump up your count. There will also be night caching on the farm for extra points. ninja

The sky out there is beautiful at night with no light pollution so you can see tons of stars and the Milky Way. Especially if you walk up the hill away from the bonfire.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:11 pm
when is this  

7raindrops

Esper Ranger
Captain

O.G. Explorer

6,750 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:07 pm
7raindrops
when is this

It starts Friday Oct 2 til Sunday Oct 4.

The waypoints provided above will give more information than I can. It's a huge gathering though not quite as big as the Geo Woodstocks.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:55 pm
ok cool thanks  

7raindrops

Esper Ranger
Captain

O.G. Explorer

6,750 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:11 am
I'll be heading out for Windy Rock farm in Bardstown in about an hour. I'll make a stop at Bernheim Forest for 10 or 12 caches. See you guys on Sunday night... maybe... if I'm not too tired from all the fun.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:33 am
Well I'm back from Bardstown, had a shower, shave and brushed my teeth. A good time was had by all. I'm glad I brought a couple extra sleeping bags to use as comforters since it was so chilly and windy (25mph gusts during the day). We're already counting down until next year.  

Esper Ranger
Captain

O.G. Explorer

6,750 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Friendly 100
Geocaching Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers