Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

wheaterby?
  making the same question!
  *hermione raise her hand* i know!
View Results

erit_99mx

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:49 pm
what means wheaterby, you know the percy's nick name? its that i dont know the meaning! sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:53 pm
Do you mean the actual meaning of the name or the reason that he's called that? I'm confused. confused  

willowtree
Captain

willowtree
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:02 pm
If you're talking actual meaning, here's what I found:

Origin- English
Boy/Girl- Boy
Meaning- From the wether sheep farm

And here's a more detailed one:

Witherbee, -- Arms -- Norfolk. Vert, a chev. erm between three rams pass, ar, attired or. (A field of green with chevron of ermine between three rams walking, silver or white, attired in gold), The General Armory of England, Scotland, Ireland, and Wales. -- Sir Bernard Burke, London, 1884

At the College of Arms - London, the Witherbee coat of arms (so spelled and recorded) was granted in the time of Edward IV (1461-1483). They said there was no motto, or ermine, or ram on top of the shield, at that time.

Robert and Elizabeth Wetherby were Lord and Lady of the Manor of Great Moulton in Norfolk circa 1556. He was condemned to be burned for his faith by Mary (Bloody Mary). Three days before his execution date, she died (17 November 155 cool and Elizabeth came to the throne. Elizabeth restored his estates, conferred the royal ermine on his arms, and gave him the family motto, Tenex-Et-Fide (Steadfast In Faith), the much valued heritage of his descendants.

About the Surname:The surname is spelled over 80 different ways including Weatherby, Weatherbee, Weatherbe, Weatherbey, Weatherbie, Weathersbee, Wetherby, Wetherbee, Wetherbe, Weterbee, Wheatherbee, Witherbee. The Witherbee patronymic is of ancient English origin, and is traced to the Norwegian and Danish conquests of the present kingdom. This is shown by the name itself, which is a territorial one, indicating the establishment of the family and the calling after it of Wetherby, a well known and picturesque market town in the county of Yorkshire, situated between York and Leeds. It was called Wedderby by the Saxons. The first part of the surname, wether (sheep) are on the coat of arms. The final syllable being the Danish equivalent of the English town, or the Norman-French ville.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:48 am
Crouch calling Percy "Weatherby" was supposed to be a clue that he had been Imperiused - but because Percy is such a nobody at the ministry already (despite being Crouch's personal aide), everyone just thought Crouch didn't know Percy's name.  

Kermi

Hygienic Consumer

[Selise]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:34 am
Crouch was Imperiused? I don't remember that.....I have to read the book again.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:00 am
Dimona

The scene when they discover it takes place in the Forbidden Forest I believe, if you just wanted to skim and find the part. It's in the last half  

non642

[Selise]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:08 am
Nialla
Dimona

The scene when they discover it takes place in the Forbidden Forest I believe, if you just wanted to skim and find the part. It's in the last half

Alright. Thanks. I'll check it later this afternoon.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:43 am
Dimona
Nialla
Dimona

Alright. Thanks. I'll check it later this afternoon.
That's the scene where he's fighting the Imperius curse and starting to beat it, but you don't learn he was actually imperiused until the end where Dumbledore gives Crouch Jr. the veritaserum and he confesses everything.  

Kermi

Hygienic Consumer

Pow in the Wow

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:43 pm
Nialla
Dimona

oh haha thanx, i was about to say dat i also have to read da book again too. but haha thanx anyways =D.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:14 pm
this is great! We all know what we're talking about and we don;t even know each other.  

evil_black_cat

Fleur Evette

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:07 pm
I never did get the meaning of that name Weatherby.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:09 pm
There is no meaning, as it was previously stated in this thread by Kermi, It was meant to suggest the use of the Imperius curse, and, because his last name is Weasley, it makes it appear as though Crouch didn't know his name, seeing as Percy obviously wasn't well known.  

Nilokara

Shigures Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:45 am
Kermi
Crouch calling Percy "Weatherby" was supposed to be a clue that he had been Imperiused - but because Percy is such a nobody at the ministry already (despite being Crouch's personal aide), everyone just thought Crouch didn't know Percy's name.

=o I didn't know that. =_=  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:57 am
Nilokara
There is no meaning, as it was previously stated in this thread by Kermi, It was meant to suggest the use of the Imperius curse, and, because his last name is Weasley, it makes it appear as though Crouch didn't know his name, seeing as Percy obviously wasn't well known.

It was a hint of the Imperius curse?? eek Um, I'm not too sure about that...after all, he messed up Percy's name at the Quidditch World Cup BEFORE his son was freed, wasn't he? I've always thought of it as the same thing as Slughorn's problem with Ron's name...the person just isn't considered "important" enough....  

Lady_Imrahil

Gracious Reveler

27,400 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Alchemy Level 9 100
The Order of the Phoenix: A Harry Potter Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items