Submit

Orkronos

Gracious Sex Symbol

6,575 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:06 pm
Ok so one day last week i was sitting on class and I had an idea. I know older AA missiles both nato and Warsaw-pact can be dodged by a fighter if the pilot is quick on there toes. But i had an idea that a missile air to ground or air to air could track its target but instead of impacting it would detonate and send out a cone of razor shrapnel toward the aircraft. However Im curious if that would do damage enough to bring it down. I know it could kill the pilot at the right angle but what about the rest of the aircraft?  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:37 pm
You mean a flak missile?  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Orkronos

Gracious Sex Symbol

6,575 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:51 pm
kinda but it seeks out the aircraft and fragments at close range.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:55 pm
how about we make it more complicated and control the blast to shoot the flak like a shotgun? That might increase overall damage.  

Man of the Demoneye

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:00 pm
Just sounds a little pointless. Like, the missile detonates a directed grenade at the plane? Why not just have the missile ram it like they already do? You put a bowling-ball sized hole into any place on a small aircraft and, one way or another, it's pretty much coming down.

Why put more expensive technology in it to do the same thing? Unless you mean have the missile do the directed grenade blast and then ram the plane, well that's better. But from a military budget standpoint, ramming is enough, especially since it rams, then explodes inside the plane. What's worse, a grenade going off next to you, or swallowing one?  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:04 pm
Hell, why not just have them detonate shortly AFTER impact while it is inside the plane?  

Freak_090
Captain

Buki_Actual

9,050 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Generous 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:26 pm
You mean like a shaped charge?  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:05 am
well my original idea was a large missile would detonate over a formation of aircraft. Thus accomplishing with one missile what normally would take 10 or even 20  

Orkronos

Gracious Sex Symbol

6,575 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Ultimate Player 200

Inquisitor Brock

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:47 pm
They already do that. Some missiles explode near their targets, and cause shrapnel damage, even if they don't hit it dead on.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:58 pm
Inquisitor Brock
They already do that. Some missiles explode near their targets, and cause shrapnel damage, even if they don't hit it dead on.
I agree with Brock I'm pretty sure they already do that.  

Desert_Fox_Rommel

Buki_Actual

9,050 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Generous 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:45 pm
Desert_Fox_Rommel
Inquisitor Brock

Confirmed, yes they do.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:15 am
Sgt Buckner
Desert_Fox_Rommel
Inquisitor Brock

Confirmed, yes they do.
Linkage?  

Orkronos

Gracious Sex Symbol

6,575 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Ultimate Player 200
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash