Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply "TXT TLK" horror stories
The dot thickens: Eng lit. now 2up2d8 4words Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The MoUsY spell-checker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:17 am
Look at this article from the Sydney Morning Herald.

Basically, some people think that classic texts are too complicated, and they are being "simplified" into textspeak so that they will be easier to study. According to the article, there is an English professor that supports this idea.

Now, many people will find classic texts difficult to study, but is there any point in studying textspeak versions? I mean, English literature should be in English, not textspeak! As if there aren't enough people who use textspeak? Now they're going to teach in it?

What do you think?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:23 pm
Horrible, simply horrible. I can read "txt tlk" when I need to, and I wasn' t even able to translate a lot of those passages. As a grammarian, that makes me want to stick needles in my eyes.  

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

i_heart_ron

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:31 pm
That is utterly hideous.

Then again, I have problems with the "American" editions of Harry Potter. When I was a child, I worked out British grammar and diction on my own. Of course, when I was a child, I also read all of Dickens in one summer for fun.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:55 am
They Americanize the American edition of HP? Terrible. I've read British books before, and they were always spelled in the British way. I say, keep the words as they are originally and if the kid doesn't know what one of them means, let him look it up in the damn dictionary.  

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

i_heart_ron

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:30 pm
Sure enough, they are Americanized.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:25 pm
That's terrible and the writing's ugly!  

~prize_in_the_box~

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:11 pm
That's ridiculous. I hate how publishers dumb everything down for American audiences because they think we're all too illiterate to look words up in the dictionary.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:07 pm
Horrifying. I shudder to think of what might happen if this spreads....  

DarkElf27

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

1337 p1r4t3

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:31 am
Perposterous.
If they can't learn English then what makes them think they can speak n00b?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:51 pm
This is just outrageous. This is as bad as what they are doing to French down here, they made some mistakes become no mistakes, and they weren't those who were the most confusing... It frustrates me to no end. I don't like how, in today's world, to be cool, you have to have a spelling worst than an heroin addict who didn't have his fix (I don't know how bad it could be, it is just a figure of speech). I hate how everything should always go faster and faster and faster. If they go any faster, they will hit a brick wall. And we, literate persons who gave a damn about proper language and grammar, will watch and laugh at their faces...  

Myriane

5,950 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Nudist Colony 200

[-T h e a t r e.G e e k-]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:56 pm
I think I just retasted my lunch. That was foul and disgusting! Well written literature should be in it's purest most form, not some crummy txt-speak. >_<  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:04 am
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo [/star wars moment]

What in the blue hell is going on here. i mean when using a cell phone, typing like that is fine, it saves space and you have limited space for text messages on cell phones and its hard to type with those things untill you get good at it. Outside that, no. Especially when it comes to great works like that. This isn't right.  

TeccaN9nja

tokkitoria

Brainy Bunny

11,550 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:03 am
That's horrible....so horrible it...burns gonk .  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:08 pm
If we need to dumb literature down, doesn't that say something about the general populace? gonk Books shouldn't be abridged, although side-by-side versions are useful for reading Shakespeare.

2b?not2b?=?

That looks like confusing computer programming, to me.  

counting pulses

-M- Mellolicious

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:57 pm
...Oh, God.
That's just... Wow. -_-;; Are they really going to do that?
I just... I don't know what to say, other than this is really, really dumb.
If they go through with this, I'm going to freaking murder someone.

"TXT TLK" horror stories

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff