Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Reading Room~* (discussions on books/authors)
Pete Jennings

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Esselean

Tipsy Fairy

11,225 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:42 pm
I picked a book by Pete Jennings today at the library called Pagan Paths- A guide to Wicca, Druidry, Asatru, Shamanism and other pagan practices. I've had a bit of a flick through and It seems like an alright book. (and hopefully for once it will be a good book)
Anyway I was wondering If anyone else had read it and If so what did you think of it? Also what about it did you like or dislike?  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:14 pm
I've never heard of him, so I can't really say. From looking at his website, I'd say it could go either way, as he seems to be interested in a lot of different things.

He does have a resource page that lists a lot of the sources for his books, so that might be a good place to start, to at least see what his influences are (and if they are reputable).  

ncsweet
Crew

Esselean

Tipsy Fairy

11,225 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:27 pm
Well I got the book mainly because of the references and recommended reading list in the book. (People like Farrar, Gardner and Valiente who I think are generally agreed on by the Pagan community to be respecable sources.) Also because during my quick flick through I didn't see anywhere where it confused witchcraft with Wicca. Which is a breath of fresh air lol

So far the book has been a bit of a mixture of good and bad. (Though I haven't read much.) On the first page Pete says about his book "Inevitably it will be coloured by my own views, but i hope to provide some wide ranges of opinion by quoting from some of the leading figures within the various paths" Which I think is great and the fact that so far it seems he is actually doing it is even better.
But later on he claims that being a Pagan is more about being an environmentalist (joining Greenpeace, supporting save the wildlife groups etc.) than anything spiritual or religious. I think that is absolutely stupid! Sure many Pagans may be environmentalist and many environmentalist may also be pagans but that doesn't make them the same thing! So that bit annoyed me quite a bit.....

......Anyway I'll keep reading and see what happens

Oh and thanks for the website. I did a search for him before but I couldn't find anything. I'll definitely have a read of that website smile  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:57 pm
Ok Ive officialy given up on reading this book. It's too opinion based for my liking.

*sigh* am I ever going to find a good book?????  

Esselean

Tipsy Fairy

11,225 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
*~Reading Room~* (discussions on books/authors)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games