Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Reading Room~* (discussions on books/authors)
The Four Agreements

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tari_Leralonde

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:56 am
I know this isn't really witchcraft/Pagan related, but I just had to share.

Today I was babysitting, and after I put the kid to sleep I was bored just sitting there so I looked through her mom's bookshelf and found a book called The Four Agreements: A Toltec Wisdom Book. I started reading it, and by the end of the first chapter I was totally hooked. It dealt with the illusions, or dreams, we have about ourselves, other people, and the world. It hit dead center on how we act and how we think, and how the dreams and opinions drilled in to us at a young age affect how much we suffer throughout our life, centering mostly on the fact that we want so much attention and direct things towards ourselves (and not always in a good way). It then went on to describe how we make "agreements" every day, where when someone says something about us we agree---either consciously or unconsciously---with their opinion and that agreement affects us for the rest of our life, even if it happened when we were a little kid. It went on to describe four agreements that would rid each of us of the suffering we put upon ourselves: being impeccable with our words, not taking anything personally (good or bad), not making assumptions, and doing your best. When you read it, it all seems so obvious and true, even though you probably couldn't have even thought of it if you hadn't read this book.

In two hours I had already read most of the book, and then when the little girl's parents came home I asked if I could borrow it.
I feel that my whole life, my whole point of view, has been totally and abruptly changed by this book, and I recommend it to pretty much every single person in the world. It's amazing.
For those of you who have read it as well, what did you think of it? How did it change you?  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:27 am
I thought that most people make agreements and disagreements. You know, not just agreeing. My grandmother tried to tell me that my dream was to become a pianist. I quit piano. You don't agree with everything you hear. Most people agree with the first thing they hear, yes, but they may change their mind later. I also thought that the four "agreements" were just standard goals in life right? I mean, we all try to have impeccable speach so that we don't cause misunderstandings. We fail quite often, (I probably have in this paragraph) but we still try. Maybe it's just me, but I don't think that people wander around trying to find things to take personally either. I have to remind myself constantly that taking things personally is useless and that tempering your mind with self-control helps you to have better use of your emotions and not blind anger or sadness. Some people on here have angered eachother including myself, but we have'nt gone into fits and tried to murder our keyboards typing out profane words at eachother. I also thought that people were supposed to make good assumptions about one another, and delude themselves so that they don't have reason to be angry.lol Lastly, we naturally want to do our best don't we? I must have the entire world backwards according to that book...guess I should read it to see if I agree or not. v.v  

Arcaniss Vivian

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:47 am
I disagree.

xd  
*~Reading Room~* (discussions on books/authors)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games