Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Path question.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Orchidsandfractals

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:49 pm
I had a strange dream a few nights ago that made me stop being atheist.

I had a dream of a woman, who was transforming into and from a hawk, appear to me. She was surrounded by blueish purple light. She seemed slightly mother like, though not very. I knew I was supposed to follow her, and I can't honestly say I'm an atheist any more. However, I have no idea who she is. Does anyone know of any Goddesses that are hawks, or that are both a human and a hawk? Does anyone have any advice on how to practice for those religions?

Please do not say I'm crazy, or that she doesn't exist. It's kinda annoying.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:33 pm
Unfortuntely, having a magical ability to identify the entities who appear in other peoples' visions has thus far eluded me in this life. xp

The short answer is: The only person who is going to know is you.

The long answer: The only person who is going to know is you, and you will have to do some research, some spiritual searching, and at the very least try to ASK the entity in question who they are. You'd be surprised at how many people don't bother to try asking, and then wonder why they spend years picking at a bread crumb path of symbols and hints and mysteries until they do. xd

You've got a fairly steep learning curve ahead of you - and one that you should not hesitate to be skeptical on, to question, to test, and to verify to your own self the validity of your conclusions. It's healthy.

I'm not familiar with many Hawk goddesses, myself. Inside my own knowledge and opinion, the only goddess who might match all parts of your vision is Hathor - Het-Heru, or 'House of Horus' in ancient Egyptian. The hawk was one of her manifestations.

That doesn't mean that's the only answer - it's just the one that my own experience says is a strong possibility. There may be personal associations with another goddess for you in your vision, that I won't get from the symbolism because it doesn't match my own.
Certainly explore any avenues of possibility that arise in your search.  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

Orchidsandfractals

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:22 pm
Morgandria
Unfortuntely, having a magical ability to identify the entities who appear in other peoples' visions has thus far eluded me in this life. xp

The short answer is: The only person who is going to know is you.

The long answer: The only person who is going to know is you, and you will have to do some research, some spiritual searching, and at the very least try to ASK the entity in question who they are. You'd be surprised at how many people don't bother to try asking, and then wonder why they spend years picking at a bread crumb path of symbols and hints and mysteries until they do. xd

You've got a fairly steep learning curve ahead of you - and one that you should not hesitate to be skeptical on, to question, to test, and to verify to your own self the validity of your conclusions. It's healthy.

I'm not familiar with many Hawk goddesses, myself. Inside my own knowledge and opinion, the only goddess who might match all parts of your vision is Hathor - Het-Heru, or 'House of Horus' in ancient Egyptian. The hawk was one of her manifestations.

That doesn't mean that's the only answer - it's just the one that my own experience says is a strong possibility. There may be personal associations with another goddess for you in your vision, that I won't get from the symbolism because it doesn't match my own.
Certainly explore any avenues of possibility that arise in your search.

Thanks! I'm just trying to get an idea of hawk goddesses out there, so I can at least try to research to try to contact her again and ask her who she is, or if she tells me who she is, how her name would be written or seen in modern English. I have no clue what the hawk means for me, other than before my first period, I had a dream about a hawk and flying around with it, and the next morning I got my first period. I like my period, so it wasn't a bad thing. I'm not very warlike personally, so I don't know if the Goddess is one of war or not. I'll look into Hathor! Do you think a Goddess would be offended if I prayed to a different Goddess than her if I didn't know her name? Obvi, I'd try to ask her first, as to her name, but I don't know how most of the pagan gods are generally about mistaking them for another.

I'm still a little in shock at seeing a goddess in a dream. It was kinda... Strange for a former atheist.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:40 am
Are you sure it is a hawk? I mean, could it be another bird of prey?  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Venra Axel Prey

Wealthy Werewolf

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:33 am
Hmm, well, although I have never heard of any hawk-goddesses, the first think that came to my mind was Diana, the goddess of the hunt(hawks are hunters, so thats what came up) but the only one who will know for sure is you.
as for the name confusion, try meditation. perhaps she will tell you her name when you are in a trance.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:33 am
I tried praying and lighting a candle for whoever she is, and the name that popped into my head was Athena(I tried to ask mentally), though I don't know if that's her real name as it wasn't clearly pronounced and was rather quietly popping into my head as opposed to how strong the Goddess was in my dream. But the light I was seeing in my mind, it was also much fainter. Whoever the Goddess is, she was VERY upset when I tried to take an ankh that's been in my family for ages and make it sacred by dipping it in salt water, but was not offended by my doing the same thing with a crystal. By offended, I got the sense she did not approve of it.

Wasn't Athena's bird an owl? Are European/Greek owls more hawk like in apperance than regular ones? Does anyone know if there's a type of owl that looks like a hawk, or if Athena was ever known to have a hawk as her symbol?

And it could be another bird of prey, the bird looked like an American hawk.  

Orchidsandfractals

Venra Axel Prey

Wealthy Werewolf

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:50 am
hmm. not sure. but if Athena is what's popping up, more than likely it's her.
there is a type of owl that looks similar in appearence to a hawk, i just cant remember the name.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:11 pm
When you think about it, hawks and owls hunt the same kind of prey and they rely on their claws to catch it. If the woman had a hawk with her, maybe she'll have another bird with her if you have more dreams. Try looking for a goddess that has bird representations.  

Emerald_Angel28

Orchidsandfractals

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:05 pm
EbonyxXxDiamond
hmm. not sure. but if Athena is what's popping up, more than likely it's her.
there is a type of owl that looks similar in appearence to a hawk, i just cant remember the name.

Hmmm... I'll need to look up hawks.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:08 pm
Emerald_Angel28
When you think about it, hawks and owls hunt the same kind of prey and they rely on their claws to catch it. If the woman had a hawk with her, maybe she'll have another bird with her if you have more dreams. Try looking for a goddess that has bird representations.

I'll look for some. It's hard, since a lot of the hawk/bird of prey gods are male. So far, I have Freya,Frigg(Falcons), Artemis, Hathor(the Goddess, whoever she is, was VERY offended when I asked her if an ankh could be worn as a symbol to her, though she was not offended at a small crystal. Or at least that's the sense I got when praying.), and a couple Polynaisan ones I can't get much info on, other than that in some search Gods engines, they're linked to hawks. Athena is linked to owls, but is also linked to knowledge and truth, and war.  

Orchidsandfractals

Orchidsandfractals

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:42 pm
Figured out who she was! Thru prayer and meditation(guided by a friend), and some divination, I've figured it out that she is most likely Hera.

It fits, since one of her sacred animals is a hawk. smile  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:47 pm
Here is a great link to lots of info on Hera.  

ncsweet
Crew

Orchidsandfractals

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:50 am
ncsweet
Here is a great link to lots of info on Hera.

Thanks! It is helpful to learn more about Her!  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games