Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Sanctuary~* (answers and advice)
Christmas/Sabbats

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Celebrating Christmas?
  Okay
  Not Okay
  Doesn't Matter
  Pollwhore
View Results

Talesofbiro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:20 pm
In the past I have heard people say that you can't believe in one religion and celebrate another religion's holiday. I agree with that to some degree.

I'm Neo-pagan through and through however I celebrate Christmas. I don't have any Christian beliefs, I actually dislike the religion. ((The religion itself not necessarily the people)) To me, I don't look at Christmas as a religious holiday. Half the time I forget that it is. ((When I was little I would see Jesus and the Virgin Mary figures and ask "Why's that there, that has nothing to do with Christmas? lol))

To me Christmas is one of the rare times my family actually gets together and enjoys spending time with each other. Plus it's a time where my parents get me gifts and I don't have to pay them back. lol Not only that but it's a tradition that I've done my entire life, it'd feel weird to exclude myself simply because I'm not Christian.

So I'm wondering what others views of this are. Do you disagree, agree? I'm simply curious.

Also, for the Sabbats, I have yet to fully celebrate one. I am aware of when they pass however don't know how to celebrate it. I live with my parents so it can't be something huge. ((I don't think my mom would particularly care, but my dad would.)) I've looked up some ways to celebrate but I'm not so sure, because everywhere I look says something completely different. So if anyone can be of help with this as well, I'd appreciate it.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:03 am
I still celebrate christmas. Not as a religious holiday but as a time to spend with my family and buy or make awesome gifts for them to show how much I love and care for them. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. I mean if you think about it many atheists celebrate christmas without the religious aspect  

Esselean

Tipsy Fairy

11,225 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Nudist Colony 200

Talesofbiro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:25 am
I never thought about the atheist part though, but it's true.

Plus, I like your sig. =]  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:29 pm
This is actually quite a good topic. I would love here other peoples opinions  

Esselean

Tipsy Fairy

11,225 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Nudist Colony 200

dark_angel_32189

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:54 pm
I still celebrate Christmas with my family because that's the holiday they celebrate. It'd be kinda stupid to say, "Well, I'm not Christian so ya'll will have to count me out" and then go off on your own while the rest of your family is spending time together.

Besides that, Christmas isn't too incredibly different from Yule. They're very similar.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:25 pm
I celebrate Christmas...but I have'nt completely left Christianity, probably never will. I have never liked the whole commercial holiday thing though...I've hated Christmas since the year I moved. I don't like the whole Santa thing or ....spending time with family....v.v...or exchanging presents, or making elaborate meals full of discusting family made dishes. Huh...I really don't like Christmas at all. I just don't think that there is a day in the year that you can't celebrate something. People tend to celebrate esbats and such, but I see nothing wrong with celebrating your god/ess(s) any time of year. I mainly celebrate Christmas because I love God and my family would get mad at me if I avoided them... : (  

Arcaniss Vivian

Orchidsandfractals

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:20 pm
My whole family is like that. We're Scottish Jews with a variety of religions. We've called it the Winter Holidays to avoid offending anyone, but in the past,(IE, my great great great grandparent's day in age), they would call it Christmas. Of course, they were Jews who lied and called themselves Christians, so go figure! I wouldn't suggest saying you celebrate Christmas, but well, to celebrate in the middle of winter isn't too unheard of in various cultures. Just call it a winter festival, or a winter holiday. You can still have a Christmas tree and call it such, as that's not religious. Heck, even call it Christmas, but I'd avoid calling yourself a Christian. I celebrate Passover with my family, and I'm not Jewish in terms of the religion I currently practice actively. (I am a Jew by birth and blood and thus am a very bad practicing Jew in religion, but that's by Jewish law.) I'd suggest avoiding going to church that day. Also, I still believe in the Fey, even though they're not in Hellenic neopaganism. I'm not giving up my culture! XD

Anyways, lighting a candle is generally plenty for most of the Gods. They just care you're acknowledging them. Burn a small sacrifice if you like?  
*~Sanctuary~* (answers and advice)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games