Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Guild question Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Leona Moon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:24 pm
So I'm curious as to how the members here feel about the whole Traditional Wicca vs "Eclectic Wicca" issue. I'm not trying to start a big debate on the subject, but the guild description is a bit vague about it and I'm not really sure if the Eclectic Wicca idea is really accepted here. I'm sure all of you have your own opinions on the subject but I would like to hear them.

Strangely enough gaiaonline has been the only place I've seen it be such a huge issue, other forums may have members who are opposed to Eclectic Wicca but not so vehemently and widespread.

That being said, if you think the term Eclectic/Neo/Solitary Wicca is valid, what do you think are the requirements?  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:37 pm
Leona Moon
I'm not trying to start a big debate on the subject

I'm afraid a big debate is inevitable when it comes to this subject  

Esselean

Tipsy Fairy

11,225 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Nudist Colony 200

Doc Dillamond

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:38 pm
i cant spek for the owner of the guild but i am eclectic and i havent faced any problems yet  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:55 pm
Esselean
Leona Moon
I'm not trying to start a big debate on the subject

I'm afraid a big debate is inevitable when it comes to this subject

Agreed, I can't help it if strong emotions are evoked and things start to explode on screen. I had meant to state that it wasn't the goal of my question. If you're going to start debates about it, let's try to respect each other so long as our ideas are relatively logical and sound. There's already enough arguments about it on this website imo, but do what you will.  

Leona Moon

Esselean

Tipsy Fairy

11,225 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:12 pm
Leona Moon

I had meant to state that it wasn't the goal of my question.

Debates and arguments are rarely intentional.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:33 pm
Esselean
Leona Moon

I had meant to state that it wasn't the goal of my question.

Debates and arguments are rarely intentional.

Maybe for others, but sometimes I start threads to see others debate about it. lol don't ask me why, it just helps me understand the viewpoints better in my own mind. I'm just not sure if this guild is intended to accept eclectic Wicca or if it's looked down upon as much as the rest of gaia. That's what I mostly want to know.

But like I said, do what you will, I can't stop you.  

Leona Moon

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:40 pm
Eclectic practice *is* valid. It's just not Wicca. And it doesn't NEED to be called Wicca to be valid. And why so many people insist that their practice is Wicca even when it doesn't meet the basics of what Wicca is never ceases to amaze me.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:45 pm
Violet Song jat Shariff
Eclectic practice *is* valid. It's just not Wicca. And it doesn't NEED to be called Wicca to be valid. And why so many people insist that their practice is Wicca even when it doesn't meet the basics of what Wicca is never ceases to amaze me.

Thanks for sharing. To clarify, I specifically mean calling that practice Wicca if it fits "eclectic Wicca" (like Scott Cuningham's version, for example).  

Leona Moon

Esselean

Tipsy Fairy

11,225 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:53 pm
Just a quick question. What do you mean by "Neo Wicca"?
I don't know if Wicca is really old enough to require a Neo in front of it confused  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:18 pm
I put neo/solitary/eclectic for those that do see it as "neo" Wicca. Also, the guild description uses the term Neo-Wicca, so I guess whoever wrote it can state their position on that. I don't agree with that word usage (neo) myself. I'm just asking for opinions.  

Leona Moon

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:19 pm
Leona Moon
Violet Song jat Shariff

Thanks for sharing. To clarify, I specifically mean calling that practice Wicca if it fits "eclectic Wicca" (like Scott Cuningham's version, for example).

Scott Cunningham writes about Standing Stone Tradition with the label "Wicca" slapped on it to sell a few extra copies. Cunningham was only a first degree initiate which means 1) He took oaths to not reveal any oath-bound information to anyone not properly prepared and 2) he did not possess enough/proper information to initiate anyone else.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:21 pm
I think it would be fairly safe to say we hold to Traditional views, in that if you have not been initiated (by a lineaged coven), then one cannot claim to be Wiccan. As Vi has said, this doesn't mean that eclectic practices aren't valid, it just means that they shouldn't be called Wicca.

As it stands there is only 1 lineaged Wiccan who is a member of the guild, the rest of us are eclectics (neo-paganism), witches, or pagans of various flavors.

Cunningham's books describe his Standing Stones Tradition. He was only a 1st degree initiate of Wicca (he had elder status in other Trads), and left the coven shortly after that first initiation. So while what he describes in his book may be a very meaningful path for some, it does not accurately describe what Wicca is.

*argghhhh Vi... you beat me too it* blaugh  

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

Leona Moon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:24 pm
Yes Violet, I am aware of all of this, and I have been for many years. I have seen countless debates on the subject, trust me. I never called myself a Wiccan. I’m asking for everyone's opinion.

(I noticed you edited your post, so that was a response to your question).

Thanks too2sweet, I was just confused by the guild description. 3nodding  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games