Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Merry Mischief Night

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Does Michief Night sound like something you would take part in?
  Yes, sounds interesting.
  Yes, would be fun to try out, even if just once.
  No thanks you, it doesn't seem like something I would enjoy.
  not all to sure.
View Results

GoddessAttuned

Mind-boggling Fatcat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:42 pm
Now I know that in many parts of Britain and Ireland Hallowe'en used to be known as 'Mischief Night', which meant that people were free to go around the village playing pranks and getting up to any kind of mischief without fear of being punished ( celebrated on the 30th of October ).
These days many people to my knowledge celebrate Samhain on October 31st, or on November 6th to 7th. And personally for the community on the west coast of Canada that I grew up with, it was highly common to celebrate Michief Night by yourself, taking time for a personal Samhain ritual, magic( if needed), and divinations. As well as a time to take care of your family and yourself before the coming new year. Then on the 31st we all used to gather for a communal ritual and celebration.

Now here is my question at hand;
" Do you perfer to celebrate on the day( or night ) of the sabbat or to celebrate a day before or after it? I would also love to know your reasoning why? "

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:45 pm
iHecate
Now I know that in many parts of Britain and Ireland Hallowe'en used to be known as 'Mischief Night', which meant that people were free to go around the village playing pranks and getting up to any kind of mischief without fear of being punished ( celebrated on the 30th of October ).
These days many people to my knowledge celebrate Samhain on October 31st, or on November 6th to 7th. And personally for the community on the west coast of Canada that I grew up with, it was highly common to celebrate Michief Night by yourself, taking time for a personal Samhain ritual, magic( if needed), and divinations. As well as a time to take care of your family and yourself before the coming new year. Then on the 31st we all used to gather for a communal ritual and celebration.

Now here is my question at hand;
" Do you perfer to celebrate on the day( or night ) of the sabbat or to celebrate a day before or after it? I would also love to know your reasoning why? "

I celebrate Samhain astrologically, at 15 degrees Scorpio. My coven also does this. The actual day will vary from year to year. We tend to keep our gatherings on the weekend closest to that date, simply because there are people travelling for many hours to be there, and weekdays don't work - but we prefer the ritual to be on the day, or afterwards, not before.

I don't consider Samhain a celebration, more of a solemn occasion. I usually have an ancestor shrine set up for a period of time before the holiday, and then take it down afterwards. Aside from this, and my time spent with my coven, I don't really do much at home. It isn't one of my favorite Sabbats. It's good to be with my coven family at this time, and to have that community, and honour those who have passed on...but it is a very heavy, sometimes emotional and painful ritual, and I'm always glad when it's done.  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

Arc En Licorne

5,300 Points
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:17 am
most likely i would like to celebrate the night of samhain, but really late at night, coz we have school the day before and the day of unless its a week end so at night would be best and every ones already awake coz we go trick or treating as well coz im the only witch in my family.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:39 pm
I celebrate on the astronomical date. Additional to Samhain I also celebrate Winternights, which I celebrate around May 1st, but it's totally dependent on when it "feels" like the onset of winter. I won't celebrate on May 1st if the weather is fair; only if there's a bite in the wind or the scent of winter in the air.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games