Reply Chatterbox/Humor
The Capital Wasteland Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:10 pm
This is the Fallout 3 thread, because I don't want to muck up my movie thread with my rambling about this awesome game. To start: if you have a (good) PC, 360, or PS3: you need this game. It's excellent in every way, though more music variety would be nice. The 40s-50s score somehow doesn't feel misplaced. And it's whimsical to be blasting away at Super Mutants and Raiders while it's playing. Well I can see how it would be anachronistic to have music styles in the game that shouldn't exist... But that doesn't explain why the only music in the year 2277 is 40s-50s music.

There's a lot of weapons, but not a huge variety of any of them. For example, there's a 10mm pistol and a .32 revolver in the standard pistol category--and that's it. There's only one standard SMG, two rifles (one scoped), and two assault rifles. (Keep in mind I'm ignoring the specialty weapons, like the named ones--and there's a decent number of those).

I wish there was a bigger variety of monsters, too. So far I've only really seen mutated bees and mole rats, dogs, Mirelurks, raiders, Talon Mercs, and Super Mutant Variants. Oh and centaurs. And a couple kinds of robots, and Death Claws. And Feral Ghouls. Crap, was there a point to this? Maybe there are a good number of monsters. And I'm not even close to the end.

It's long as hell. I'm 22-something hours in, and I haven't even done much of the main quest. Supposedly it can be about 100 hours long, and has 200 ending variations.

You don't even have to take quests--just exploring is fun. The voice-acting is great to have be so common in a game with so much dialog. But don't let that keep you from playing, because you can walk the Wastes for hours and hours without seeing a single friendly person. Or is that a good thing?

Buy it buy it buy it.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:37 pm
ArmasTermin
There's a lot of weapons, but not a huge variety of any of them. For example, there's a 10mm pistol and a .32 revolver in the standard pistol category--and that's it. There's only one standard SMG, two rifles (one scoped), and two assault rifles. (Keep in mind I'm ignoring the specialty weapons, like the named ones--and there's a decent number of those).
Man, you need to get out more. There's a s**t-TON more weapons than that. There's at least four pistols. There's a C96 ripoff, and another... I forget. They take .32 also.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Thdark

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:35 pm
Can't forget the ******** .44 Revolver.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:45 pm
i got the game of the year edition, so i'm still playing even after beating the main game... the extra's that the GotYE has in it make the game even more massive... although there are some freezing issues that make 1 part of the game almost unplayable for me (after 50+ freezes, i toughed it out and am never going back there)

you can never truly beat this game, which for me makes it amazing... there will always be another merc. hunting you down, or feral ghoul running at you from the darkness... or someone will always need another piece of scrap metal or box of sugar bombs... you cam always find another un-marked camp site, or mirelurk nest...

the only part of the game i don;t like is the bad AI system in certain parts (i.e. i take out my shotgun, and aim it at a guy, and he doesn't even flinch), but AI is always a hard thing to do perfectly, so i can hardly call it a make or break issue

this brings me back to the days of playing star wars: knights of the old republic (1/2) on my Xbox... so far it;s the only other game that i can compare FO3 to...  

Maddness91

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:58 am
Fresnel
ArmasTermin
Man, you need to get out more. There's a s**t-TON more weapons than that. There's at least four pistols. There's a C96 ripoff, and another... I forget. They take .32 also.

I like the Chinese pistol, but it's not actually good. Forgot to mention it. Tonight I got the Re... re... Reservists's Rifle? I think that's it. And The Terrible Shotgun, and I finally found the Scoped .44 in the hideout of Reilly's Rangers, but haven't gotten to use it. Was tough making my way through and around the Capital Building. There's Mutants and Talon mercs swarming that place. I had to do a lot of sniping and sneaking to make it through without everything swarming me. Fun as hell though.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:24 am
ArmasTermin
Fresnel
ArmasTermin

I like the Chinese pistol, but it's not actually good. Forgot to mention it. Tonight I got the Re... re... Reservists's Rifle? I think that's it. And The Terrible Shotgun, and I finally found the Scoped .44 in the hideout of Reilly's Rangers, but haven't gotten to use it. Was tough making my way through and around the Capital Building. There's Mutants and Talon mercs swarming that place. I had to do a lot of sniping and sneaking to make it through without everything swarming me. Fun as hell though.
Reservist's rifle is hard to get. Don't you have to snipe a dude from the rafters and hope he falls through (or explodes)?

Oh god, the Terrible Shotgun. You know that thing, with a sneak attack bonus, can one-shot a Supermutant Behemoth?  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:53 pm
Fresnel
ArmasTermin
Fresnel
ArmasTermin

Reservist's rifle is hard to get. Don't you have to snipe a dude from the rafters and hope he falls through (or explodes)?

Oh god, the Terrible Shotgun. You know that thing, with a sneak attack bonus, can one-shot a Supermutant Behemoth?

Yeah, I didn't even know that guy had a Reservist's Rifle, I thought it was a standard sniper rifle. I took him out with the hunting rifle and it flew down when he died. Was a pure fluke, but you don't see me complaining. Only holds three rounds, but it reloads faster and is more powerful than the sniper rifle. It uses them for repairs, so it's become my new sniper. .308 is hard to get, though, so I mainly use the hunting rifle. But it helped a lot on the way to the Capitol Building where some Talon Mercs fight off Super Mutants and you have to deal with the remainders. They could surround me, so I stuck to a side and used a few missiles and the Reservist's for the humans, and the Laser Rifle on the couple robots they had.

I actually used just that tactic in the Capitol Building! I snuck around corners inside to get VATS-free headshots on Super Mutants with the hunting rifle, and if it ever failed to get an instant kill, I'd duck back around a corner and wait for them to run through, then headshot them in VATS with TTS for an instant kill. Too easy, really. But still fun.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:02 pm
Fresnel
ArmasTermin
Fresnel
ArmasTermin

Lincoln's repeater... 'nuf said...  

Maddness91

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:54 pm
Wait, wait, wait. Fresnel, surely you mean Supermutant Brute or Master about TTS's one-shot kill with the sneak attack. The Behemoth is the 20-foot thing! I saw one storming around GNR (when I finally stumbled upon that place...) and I killed him from the safety of a debilitated building. It took an ungodly amount of 5.56 and 5mm ammunition. I ended up putting so many bullets into him that what I picked up in spoils wasn't worth it so I reloaded my last save.

I don't think even a head shot from point-blank with a Fat Man could kill a behemoth, from what I gather. That thing was absurd.

Oh yeah! And I approached the Lincoln Memorial (I think it was. Could have been another building) and this guy stopped me, said the place was off limits. Said the people guarding it had orders to shoot anyone on the steps, but that the dirt path was fine. So I put away my .44 and strolled on up... and they all start shooting me! I wasn't even near the steps!

Assholes. mad  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:19 am
ArmasTermin
Wait, wait, wait. Fresnel, surely you mean Supermutant Brute or Master about TTS's one-shot kill with the sneak attack. The Behemoth is the 20-foot thing! I saw one storming around GNR (when I finally stumbled upon that place...) and I killed him from the safety of a debilitated building. It took an ungodly amount of 5.56 and 5mm ammunition. I ended up putting so many bullets into him that what I picked up in spoils wasn't worth it so I reloaded my last save.

I don't think even a head shot from point-blank with a Fat Man could kill a behemoth, from what I gather. That thing was absurd.

Oh yeah! And I approached the Lincoln Memorial (I think it was. Could have been another building) and this guy stopped me, said the place was off limits. Said the people guarding it had orders to shoot anyone on the steps, but that the dirt path was fine. So I put away my .44 and strolled on up... and they all start shooting me! I wasn't even near the steps!

Assholes. mad
No no, BEHEMOTH. The mo'fukka who uses a fire hydrant on a pipe as a weapon. There's two guns that I know of that can one-shot it, the Terrible Shotgun and the MIRV. The MIRV can do it outright, but the TS requires a sneak-attack headshot. Saw a guy do it once with the Terrible Shotgun and a Stealth Boy.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:00 am
Fresnel
ArmasTermin

Assholes. mad
No no, BEHEMOTH. The mo'fukka who uses a fire hydrant on a pipe as a weapon. There's two guns that I know of that can one-shot it, the Terrible Shotgun and the MIRV. The MIRV can do it outright, but the TS requires a sneak-attack headshot. Saw a guy do it once with the Terrible Shotgun and a Stealth Boy.

Hum, that's pretty ridiculous.

Incidentally, I tried taking out the Behemoth around GNR again, this time with the hunting rifle. Took maybe 20 head shots. Oh and I learned why those guys at the Lincoln Memorial started shooting at me without provocation. Turns out they were slavers and... I kind of dismantled their operation in Paradise Falls and ventilated a lot of (if not all) of the guys they had stationed there to rescue the kids of Little Lamplight. sweatdrop

But some sneaking, well-placed grenades, and my trusty Chinese assault rifle made short work of them.

And it's worth noting that... I use tactics in the game I learned on firearm-oriented TV shows (Shooting Gallery, Shooting USA, The Best Defense, et. al) and they work. Mostly room-clearing tactics, and practical shooting drills.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:02 am
Fresnel
ArmasTermin

Assholes. mad

Yeah, if you get the unscoped .44 magnum, it takes him down in one shot at anywhere on the body.  

OberFeldwebel

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:45 pm
I finished The American Dream quest, so I could probably beat the game tonight if I wanted to. But I think I'd rather d**k around for at least another five or ten hours.

I still want to get killed in investigate the Deathclaw ruins and do some more quests.

Also the Plasma Pistol is pretty neat, even if it fires really slowly. Turning people into green goo is fun.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:58 pm
ArmasTermin
I finished The American Dream quest, so I could probably beat the game tonight if I wanted to. But I think I'd rather d**k around for at least another five or ten hours.

I still want to get killed in investigate the Deathclaw ruins and do some more quests.

Also the Plasma Pistol is pretty neat, even if it fires really slowly. Turning people into green goo is fun.
If you do go into the Deathclaw sanctuary, don't leave without Vengeance. Ultimate gatling laser... GOOOO!  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:43 pm
A friend at work gave me the DLC disc for Operation Anchorage and The Pitt. I loaded it onto the machine (and got the spiffy new 360 look) but the insert with the disc said I'd get a prompt that the new quests were available and... I didn't get it. I don't know what I can do to make it happen.  
Chatterbox/Humor

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff