Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Thrid Person perspective, which one though?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MyMyMyGirl

2,650 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:31 am
So I've been reading a book where it's written in Third Person.

Others are telling me that the book is written in Third Person Limited- which is, if it is just one character, it can be termed third-person limited, in which the reader is "limited" to the thoughts of some particular character (often the protagonist) as in the first-person mode (though still giving personal descriptions using "he", "she", "it", and "they", but not "I").

There are two characters in this story, a antagonist and a protagonist. Now, anytime a character is thinking, the thoughts are always italicized.

Here are some examples of how it's written:

-The woman wondered if Tom could help her. However, that might lead to Tom getting hurt as well. The Tom she knew had a very fragile heart.

- That will be the beginning, the man thought.

-Tom was her friend, her lover — a symbol of what was important to her, and someone to be protected.

My question is this, what writing perspective is this story written in? Is it Third Person Limited or is it Third-person omniscient?

And when this is stated; "Tom was her friend, her lover — a symbol of what was important to her, and someone to be protected." The sentence isn't italicized, but is rather written like the author is stating it as a fact. Now, is it the character stating that -even though it isn't italicized- or is it the author stating it as a fact for the readers?

I really need help with this. Thanks.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:43 pm
I do believe that that is the author stating that fact. And to me, it sounds like you're reading one of those books with various points of view; one chapter is so-and-so's POV, and the next it's switched over to his-and-his's POV. Of course, I'm not a literary professional, so I may be wrong. (I'm also not reading the book.)  

Princess Tessa of Sailand

Katurrah

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:27 am
This book is written in Third Person Omniscient. If you know what more than one person is thinking, feeling, or other internal such things, that is considered omniscient. It is also considered the most irritating of all writing styles to English teachers and authors. We hate this. It hurts our brains.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:20 am
Thanks you two. Katurrah, so when this is said;
"Tom was her friend, her lover — a symbol of what was important to her, and someone to be protected."

Is it the author stating it as a fact or is it a character in the story stating it?  

MyMyMyGirl

2,650 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200

Katurrah

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:54 pm
That phrase is being state by the author.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:42 am
Thanks. You really helped out a lot. biggrin

I knew it was TPO.  

MyMyMyGirl

2,650 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash