Submit

Silly name isn't it?
  yup
  nope
View Results

Moonlight_HuangHou
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:27 pm
So I was browsing the Barnes n Nobles website and read about that new product called the Nook.
For those who don't know about you can see it here.
It isn't out just yet but it seems really interesting and I kind of want it but a part of me thinks I really don't need it....
Well what do you guys think about? If you're a huge book reader it might be worth it b/c all books (well what they have) are all 9.99! (Now if only they'd add reading mangas to that and it'd really make things interesting)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:31 pm
I dunno.
I'm still not sold on electronic book readers.
Nook or Kindle
Two friends were discussing Kindles though and they said they both totally were on the side of "But I like a real book".
The one who actually owned a Kindle said it's really not bad, it's not like what you'd think.
He still prefers real books but it'd be really convenient for some people and it has a non-glare screen or something like that so it isn't like reading off a computer monitor.
I'm still not sure but they seemed pretty into it and they're both avid readers.

Actually, if the Borders Nook e-books are $9.99, unless you read a lot of new releases and refuse to wait for paperback, then it's not really a deal.
A lot of paperbacks, at least the ones I read, are $7.99 or $8.99.
And I don't have to buy a $260 product to read those.  

Zizzykitty
Crew

Dornkus
Crew

Werewolf

11,300 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Hunter 50
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:31 pm
I can't lose track of the page I'm on if I'm using an electronic book. Where's the joy in that?  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:34 pm
Dornkus
I can't lose track of the page I'm on if I'm using an electronic book. Where's the joy in that?

You forgot about the part where your friends and mean-spirited desk-mates can pull your book marks out too.  

Zizzykitty
Crew

0Moon_Maiden0

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:09 pm
Not for me.....There's just something about holding the actual book in my hands that makes it all the more enjoyable.

And the paper cuts....so many paper cuts.....lol  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:39 am
The nook thing is not for me.

I'm too old-fashioned for it really.

Plus I really kind of enjoy
the way books smell and feel.
I have an intense love of books. Can't help it.

Computer screens don't feel right to me most of the time.
I can sometimes see my reflection in it.
And I don't trust that.

So I'm not about too corrupt one of my favourite past time,
with a computer screen.

klikkhaus

dragontamer363
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:59 am
i keep looking at these things but they're not for me. I have to read enough online journals for uni and they destroy my eyes ><

plus you don't get that nice book smell and the sensation of thumbing through the pages smile  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:58 pm
hugry? lols//

( I think e book is nice but I'd have to say .. it's really costly to use.. cause it requires you to use electricity.. >_>  

Arch Angel Neko

Dangerous Tycoon

10,350 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200

Zizzykitty
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:41 am
Arch Angel Neko
hugry? lols//

( I think e book is nice but I'd have to say .. it's really costly to use.. cause it requires you to use electricity.. >_>

It may require you to use electricity but it's convenient.
Compare it to say... a cell phone.
A cell phone uses electricity while a traditional phone, does not.
The old school phones that actually had a cord, I believe took batteries so that if power went out you could still use it.
Cell phones you have to charge as often as once or twice a day depending on how much you use it.
(That's if you use it a lot. I understand that most people do not have to charge that often.)
But it's convenient.
You're trading a bit more money, or in a cell phone's case a lot more since plans can be expensive, for the convenience.

I'm not exactly for e-books but I just thought that bringing up the fact that it does use electricity was kind of a moot point.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:18 pm
Zizzykitty
I dunno.
I'm still not sold on electronic book readers.
Nook or Kindle
Two friends were discussing Kindles though and they said they both totally were on the side of "But I like a real book".
The one who actually owned a Kindle said it's really not bad, it's not like what you'd think.
He still prefers real books but it'd be really convenient for some people and it has a non-glare screen or something like that so it isn't like reading off a computer monitor.
I'm still not sure but they seemed pretty into it and they're both avid readers.

Actually, if the Borders Nook e-books are $9.99, unless you read a lot of new releases and refuse to wait for paperback, then it's not really a deal.
A lot of paperbacks, at least the ones I read, are $7.99 or $8.99.
And I don't have to buy a $260 product to read those.

You know, I had no idea about "Kindle". I thought this was something completely new that Barnes n nobles was introducing. ^_^
Most books I buy are normally hard cover and if it's soft then it's typically 10.00 or something. The up part for the nook for me is that it's like my cell phone except it has one more thing to it. You can read books too. (Oh yeah, my cell is kind of also my video/mp3 player so since the nook provides that you can listen to music and even use memory cards on it; it caught my attention more). Interesting thing I just learned is that if you have a blueberry or iphone/ipod you can read ebooks on that too. So it looks like ebooks might still be a good deal for some people. I have a chocolate so that's not gonna be something I can take advantage of. >_< Since I travel a lot I might just ask for it instead of having to take books with me. Still, I agree that it might not be the same as having that book in your hand and flipping pages.
If I can walk around with a book reader/music player/movie player/and document carrier in one sounds good. ^_^ But I'd better wait until...the end of november? And try it out (the sample) that they're going to bring out in Barnes n' nobles.

Moonlight_HuangHou
Captain

Moonlight_HuangHou
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:20 pm
Dornkus

lol True true. I wonder how that works too...I mean say if you want to stop reading and turn it off....can you jump to certain pages or do you have to manually flip through. o_O'  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:21 pm
0Moon_Maiden0
Not for me.....There's just something about holding the actual book in my hands that makes it all the more enjoyable.

And the paper cuts....so many paper cuts.....lol

I was thinking about that too....It is fun to hold a big book in front of you instead of something so small...I really want to try it out at least. But it doesn't come out for testing until the end of november I believe.
PS: Papercuts. Small but they hurt so bad!!!

Moonlight_HuangHou
Captain

Moonlight_HuangHou
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:23 pm
klikkhaus
The nook thing is not for me.

I'm too old-fashioned for it really.

Plus I really kind of enjoy
the way books smell and feel.
I have an intense love of books. Can't help it.

Computer screens don't feel right to me most of the time.
I can sometimes see my reflection in it.
And I don't trust that.

So I'm not about too corrupt one of my favourite past time,
with a computer screen.

I like electronics, but the main reason I'm looking at it is b/c it's also a music/video player and you can even put documents or stuff on it. If it was only a book reader it wouldn't be worth it in my opinion. ^_^ The feel of a book is nice. Surprisingly so many things are going electronic now-a-days.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:24 pm
dragontamer363
i keep looking at these things but they're not for me. I have to read enough online journals for uni and they destroy my eyes ><

plus you don't get that nice book smell and the sensation of thumbing through the pages smile

Hm...now that you mention it...it's not good for to stare at the computer all day long either. I wonder how it feels to read on it....

Moonlight_HuangHou
Captain

Moonlight_HuangHou
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:27 pm
Arch Angel Neko
hugry? lols//

Hungry? A little. ^_^
Well that's what I was looking at b/c I was thinking it'd make a nice mp3/video player and book reader in one. Good thing is that the lifespan seems pretty long and I wouldn't have to charge it often. According to the faqs that is. You'd never know until you try it out yourself.

According to BarnesnNobles:
"When used for reading with the wireless features turned off, your nook's battery lasts about 10 days on a single charge. If you use wireless features and/or play music, you will need to charge the battery after about 2 days of use. "

"The Rechargeable Lithium Polymer battery in your nook should last for 2 to 3 years. And if you need to replace the battery, you can do it yourself -- unlike other eReaders on the market."

That's what I found out! ^_^

*~Purple Moonlight Haze~*

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff