Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Main Forum
2010 - Year of the RPG? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Cybylt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:01 pm
I started looking through next year's lineup and noticed a large amount of RPG games. This year was dominated by shooters but next year has a big shift to the genre.

Next year features -

Mass Effect 2 - PC/360
Final Fantasy XIII - PS3/360
Alpha Protocol - PS3/360
Fallout New Vegas - PS3/360/PC
Resonance of Fate - PS3/360
Fable 3 - 360
Alpha Protocol - PS3/360
Phantasy Star Portable 2 - PSP
Last Ranker - PSP
Persona 3 Portable - PSP
God Eater - PSP
Valkyria Chronicles 2 - PSP
-Enough Dragon Age DLC to make another game - PC/PS3/360
Final Fantasy Gaiden - DS
Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep - PSP
Monster Hunter Tri - Wii
White Knight Chronicles - PS3
.Hack//Link - PSP
Adventures to Go - PSP
Star Wars: The Old Republic - PC

I'm sure there's more as well, so, what does everyone think of that? This year was kinda lacking in RPGs aside from Dragon Age. Hell this whole Gen has been pretty shallow in the RPG, probably would have died without Bethesda and Bioware.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:21 pm
I can't say I'm not glad about this. I don't why, but I never fell like I have enough RPGs in my life. A whole year of them just makes my beard smile.  

Haratio TaFotter

yeahime

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:33 pm
I want Mass Effect 2 so bad it hurts.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:38 pm
To me these will be the most interesting rpg's on the list

Mass Effect- Probably a contender for GOTY but seems to be a great game, loved the first, and the 360 seems to be the better choice for it.

Final Fantasy 13-About time this game coming along, hopefully it turns out to be a hit in Japan and love the graphics and combat system looks to be majorly improved from the dreaded final fantasy 12.

Alpha Protocol- If it's made by Obsidan it will be a good one, i thought this would be a interesting twist to the RPG genre, and love the conservation flow in the game (different from mass effect), and the branching off in missions are a good choice for the game good hopes for this one.

Fable 3-As long as they have a longer story, better boss fights and a improved outcome of the choices you make this will be good.

Star Wars The old Republic- The Best PC Game of the Year other than Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, and WOW Cataclysm, great customization, bounty hunter seems to me the coolest class out there, great voice acting, and other good things too, saving my money for this one.

White Knight Chronicles-Finally a good Solid RPG for the PS3, this will be the underdog for best PS3 i think of the year, hopfully lives up to the hype.  

The Ginger Dude

Tron714
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:31 pm
If it wasn't for Modern Warfare 2, some of those titles would actually be releasing this year but I'm not complaining. I don't have the money to buy them. Not sure I will be picking up all of those titles but I know the better known IPs I will be picking up. My must buys are Mass Effect, Alpha Protocol, and FF13.

As for Fallout New Vegas, if you guys are following nitnit's status reports on Bethesda vs Interplay, Obsidian might be out of a game to be working on. So I wouldn't have to much high hopes for it.

Also Ginger Dude, putting SW:TOR with Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 is not a great comparison. WoW Cataclysm is. And I wouldn't expect Diablo3 until 2012.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:51 pm
Aside from Mass Effect, I'm looking forward to

Resonance of Fate - Amazing graphics, character customization and combat looks like John Woo made a JRPG.

Phantasy Star Portable 2 - Full blown MMO Phantasy Star on PSP.

Last Ranker - Capcom's spiritual successor to Breath of Fire, looks good from what I've seen.

White Knight Chronicles - Sounds like it's basically the JRPG equivalent of Dragon Age until you get into the White Knight gameplay mechanics.  

Cybylt

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:59 am
The only games on that list that I think are going to be really worth it is Mass Effect 2. Even so, that's hoping that Bioware has evolved their style from a well told story to a game where you actually develop and play a role (inside of a well told story). Honestly, the original didn't have many (any?) far reaching consequences, and what path you went down barely mattered.

I'm hoping that FFXIII, Fable 3, and Fallout New Vegas prove me wrong though.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:37 am
nitnit
The only games on that list that I think are going to be really worth it is Mass Effect 2. Even so, that's hoping that Bioware has evolved their style from a well told story to a game where you actually develop and play a role (inside of a well told story). Honestly, the original didn't have many (any?) far reaching consequences, and what path you went down barely mattered.

Considering it's a three-game saga, it's going to take a while for all consequences to make their impact.  

Cybylt

Haratio TaFotter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:46 am
Now that I think about it, I don't see how Fable 3 can be a good thing. I had such high hopes for Fable 2, having been a pretty good gap between that and the first one, that I was a bit dissapponted: it was, more or less, two steps forward and a step back. Seeing as its only been about a year since Fable 2 was released, I just can't see that many improvements being made in this window of time. Unless I see some impressive game footage closer to the release date, than I'm gonna give this one a pass.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:45 am
son of a b***h! now i need a PS3!!!! how else am i gonna get FFXIII? That game is gonna be awesome!  

DJ Arctic Wolf

7,150 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Explorer 0

pathetic_negi_magician

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:34 am
ZenWolf65
son of a b***h! now i need a PS3!!!! how else am i gonna get FFXIII? That game is gonna be awesome!

Or you can get a 360 for cheap.

Anyways, Valkyria Chronicles 2, FF XIII, White Knight Chronicles, KH Birth By Sleep, Final Fantasy Gaiden and .Hack//Link are the only ones that I'll get. Though considering what new games cost compared to yester-year, I probably won't get them all until at least 2010.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:10 pm
Am I the only one excited about .hack?  

Raike99

Cybylt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:17 pm
Haratio TaFotter
Now that I think about it, I don't see how Fable 3 can be a good thing. I had such high hopes for Fable 2, having been a pretty good gap between that and the first one, that I was a bit dissapponted: it was, more or less, two steps forward and a step back. Seeing as its only been about a year since Fable 2 was released, I just can't see that many improvements being made in this window of time. Unless I see some impressive game footage closer to the release date, than I'm gonna give this one a pass.

Fable 3 has you going through civil war to become the ruler of Albion and then has a majority of the game spent being the ruler. It will feature natal capabilities and some new systems of interaction. I expect it to be pushed back.

.Hack looks interesting though I'm not sure what to think of it yet.

JRPG's I'm looking forward to are Persona 3 Portable, Resonance of Fate and Last Ranker.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:04 pm
Haratio TaFotter

Fable 3 will use Project Natal which will be interestitng. I like the Fable IP but I am not in love with it. Maybe if Fable 3 gets some Civilizatoin system into it... it can redeem itself. I mean it would fit since you will be a king and all 3nodding  

Tron714
Vice Captain

nitnit
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:32 pm
Razull
nitnit

Considering it's a three-game saga, it's going to take a while for all consequences to make their impact.

You make one real decision in that game, and it's at the end. Anyone who's played the game knows what it is. I don't know about you, but when I saw the ads for the game I thought that planets would be doomed if not saved, things like that.  
Main Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff