Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Animal Lovers Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for all animal lovers and pet owners 

Tags: animal lovers, pets, animals, cats birds dogs fish reptile, official animal lovers guild 

Reply Main Forum
New addition! Rescued Russian Tortoise named "Zoom" Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Foofy_Miru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:17 am
Today I "accidentally" talked myself into rescuing a lovely Russian Tortoise... I blame the friend who gave her to me. =)

(The following is just back story: feel free to skip it!)

On Halloween, a friendly acquaintance from school stopped by. I'd told her I was going to have one of the boas out for trick-or-treating, and she wanted to see it. We talked for a while, and she mentioned her brother having a turtle. I asked what kind... She said "Desert Land Tortoise". Then she mentioned they wanted to "get rid of it"... Because her 12 year old brother, who'd had this tortoise for three years, wasn't taking care of it properly. (I should mention now--by "Desert Land Tortoise," I automatically assumed that it was going to be a Sulcata.)

We later went on to discuss my coming over to see said tortoise, as I'd promised to help rehome it. Maybe act as a "halfway house" for the little fella if I could work something out. The subject was dropped rather quickly, though, as we didn't have much opportunity to talk about it... Until today. We got out of school about half an hour early due to the tide coming in on our already overflowing river, and a crowded bus full of children meant I was stuck sitting next to someone (oh noo!)--in this case, the aforementioned friend. We got talking again, and, as we came up on my stop, decided that I should just go to her house to see the tortoise--get it over with and all that jazz. So, we did so...

When we got to her house, I was horrified. This 6" (straight carapace length) tortoise was sitting in a dark, 20H aquarium. Its tank was dirty with its feces, and its wimpy, over-used piece of Repticarpet had been pushed to the side completely. There were no UVB or heat lights, and the little thing only had a little, unregulated zoo-med heat pad to rely on for warmth. There was no way I could leave it there and live with myself! So, I decided to do something. The friend and I walked back to my house and started hunting for a decent temporary enclosure. After a good while, I decided to scrub out a 106 quart tub I'd been planning to use for Osiris the boa. Laid down some paper towel, added a shoebox with a hole cut in the side, and a wimpy 60 watt incandescent in the beardie's spare heat lamp. It works, for now...

So, now I have a 3 year old (probably female) Russian tortoise. MUCH better than the Sulcata I was expecting.. And MUCH better looking than five hours ago!

Meet "Zoom"!

Isn't she cute??
User Image

Overhead shot...
User Image

Plastron shot: Before her bath (and scrubbing)
User Image

Plastron shot: After the bath... (What do you mean she's black? Is that even the same tortoise??)
User Image

Half-assed temporary enclosure...
User Image  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:19 am
Bah!
I hate it when people take poor care of their animals like that.
But I'll rant about it forever if I don't stop now lol
I'm so glad you saved her!
I'm amazed at the before and after bath pictures.
That's just awful. Poor thing.
I'm sure you'll take really good care of her though :'D
I'd have yelled at her brother though.
He's old enough to know what he's doing, and what bad shape the poor animal was in.

Sarahmooo
Captain

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:19 am
w, that bath really did a good job. she looks very pretty

i cant believe she didnt have any uv and was crammed ina tiny 20gal  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:26 am
Skittle, that's one of my peeves, too. I figure I'll "compromise" by slapping him on the back of the head and sending him away if he ever tries to follow his sis up to visit. That kid annoyed the hell out of me even before this... He used to be friends with my little brother. =P

I'm just glad her shell is in such good shape. I've been researching torts non-stop over the last two weeks, and I was expecting a crapload of pyramiding in her shell because of the poor care... But, nope. Nice and smooth shell. Yaay! =)  

Foofy_Miru

Sarahmooo
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:09 pm
That's great :'D
Do you plan on keeping her or re-homing her?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:13 pm
Dunno yet. Right now I'm just trying to get her back into shape and make sure she's healthy.

I've kind of been wanting a Russian tort, but I'm not sure taking on a tort full-time when high school graduation and college are coming up is such a good idea. Kind of depends on how much I like caring for one and how much my parents like her... I'm hoping my dad will fall in love with her. Dad's already slowly trying to completely take over the bearded dragon (care and all) because he likes him so much. It's so cute when old guys fall deeply in love with lizards for the first time. xD  

Foofy_Miru

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:47 pm
thats the one bad thing about herps, you have to think about them when you pick a college

i couldnt go to the school i wanted and have been stuck at a community college right by my house because of my crew.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:10 pm
Ah, you do have to think about college.
But you'll all probably get really fond of her while you fix her up

Sarahmooo
Captain

Foofy_Miru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:23 am
Ah, college. Not lookin' forward to it.

Skittle, that's the worst (and best) thing about animals. The attachment. I can count on one hand the animals I haven't grown attached to. That's... Like... 2. But that's 'cause I'm not fond of ball pythons.

I'm even overly-attached to the 6 baby corn snakes I have to sell. Eeerrgghhh. And none of my friends want snakes so I can keep them close... Except the friend who gave me the tort, but she wants one of the BPs. (Which is a completely different ethics conflict altogether...)

Yeah. I'm expecting her to stick around here. Knowing my dad, he'll get attached and won't LET me rehome her. Even though he always complains when we get new animals. x)  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:47 pm
Foofy_Miru
Ah, college. Not lookin' forward to it.

Skittle, that's the worst (and best) thing about animals. The attachment. I can count on one hand the animals I haven't grown attached to. That's... Like... 2. But that's 'cause I'm not fond of ball pythons.

I'm even overly-attached to the 6 baby corn snakes I have to sell. Eeerrgghhh. And none of my friends want snakes so I can keep them close... Except the friend who gave me the tort, but she wants one of the BPs. (Which is a completely different ethics conflict altogether...)

Yeah. I'm expecting her to stick around here. Knowing my dad, he'll get attached and won't LET me rehome her. Even though he always complains when we get new animals. x)

Haha, I know how that is.
My mom's the same way xD

Sarahmooo
Captain

Foofy_Miru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:42 pm
Yaaay for supportive parents! =)

I started making a tortoise table for Zoom yesterday. The friend who gave her to me declared that she wanted to help, which is awesome. Except, there's nothing to line the old bookcase we're using with yet. And I had to clean Zoom's tub today. So I put Zoom in the partially-complete tort table so I could change out her substrate 'cause she'd pooped. Well.. She wasn't done. She pooped on the "floor" (back) of the tort table (bookcase) while I was cleaning. Then she pooped in my sink while I was scrubbing the urates off her a**l scutes. Ungrateful brat! xP  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:47 pm
lol XD she just wanted to give you a present  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Foofy_Miru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:49 pm
Oh, sure! That's why she hissed at me whenever I picked her up and scratched the crap out of me while I was cleaning her... She is NOT a social tortoise. xD  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:02 pm
duh, its called tough love XD  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Foofy_Miru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:25 pm
Aren't I the one who should be giving her the tough love? o.O She's just being a snot... At least what I do is for her own good. xD  
Main Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff