Reply Honk if you love reading!
I need a good book to read!! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Steel _R a i n d r o p s

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:43 pm
I don't want to start a long book until it gets close to christmas vacation, but in that time I need a quick book to read.

I don't have to return my book until the 8th
so I need something to read from the 9th-like the 20th

Suggestions? :]  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:56 pm
....Funny how these things always go...

In the Night Garden! ftw 3nodding
...where and why, exactly, no one really knows...

Paradoxismminant
Captain

Steel _R a i n d r o p s

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:54 pm
Paradoxismminant
....Funny how these things always go...

In the Night Garden! ftw 3nodding
...where and why, exactly, no one really knows...

Er could you all add the author with the title? lol  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:26 pm
Ncrypt1d Threadkiller
I think it's in the Book List...but anyways, it's Catherynne M. Valente

EDIT: Uhh...there's a glitch. I'm not sure why, but my post is at the top...should be below Raindrop's 2nd post.

GAMBI EDIT: glitch fixed, I think

thubui
well, if you lovr greek mythology anf non-stop adventure and action, i recommend percy jackson and the olympians by rick riordan.

czar_the_lover
Graceling by Kristin Cashore

No Gambling in Paradix
Vice Captain

Aerin Estrella

Feisty Snowflake

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:50 pm
No Gambling in Paradix
Ncrypt1d Threadkiller
I think it's in the Book List...but anyways, it's Catherynne M. Valente

thubui
well, if you lovr greek mythology anf non-stop adventure and action, i recommend percy jackson and the olympians by rick riordan.

czar_the_lover
Graceling by Kristin Cashore

I don't know about that first one, but
Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan is a SERIES OF FIVE BOOKS. It's good for like, summer vacation, if you're one of the people who takes a week to read a 100-page book (and I say that because I can get a 100-page book done in 2 hours). It's a REALLY fantastic series, and I will NEVER *really* discourage you from reading this series, it's just long if you're looking for ONE short book, like you said. =/ Most of those books are around 250-ish pages.
"Graceling" by Kristin Cashore is a wonderful book. But, it recently came out with a companion book... It's not a series, but I would want you to be aware that addiction is possible. smile

What I would recommend would be the book I'm reading now, "Get Well Soon" by Julie Halpern. It's cynical and hilarious; however, if you're going through depression, I don't recommend it because it's about a 16- or 17-year-old overweight girl whose parents send her to a mental hospital because of her depression. It's a REALLY good book, though, so far. smile Please bear in mind that I have not finished it yet... sad
Another one would be "Tattoo" by a lady whose last name is Barnes. Absolutely fantastic, though it *is* more of a chick flick kind of book. :3 It's really good, though, it deals with the Sidhe and blood and Death and Life and Birth and Gaelic symbols and it's just really altogether very awesome. biggrin
Hmmm...what else....
Well, there's this one book I checked out of the library yesterday, haven't had time to get to it yet, but it's called "Princess of the Midnight Ball" by Jessica Day George, and it's based off of the fairy tale "The Twelve Dancing Princesses," which was quite an entertaining and beautiful fairy tale about twelve princesses who sneak off each night to dance the night away with twelve captured princes and in the morning, they come back to their beds to sleep and their shoes are found worn through but nobody knows what happened! And anyone who could find out would be rewarded with half the kingdom and the hand of whichever princess he wanted. That's the fairy tale I know, but this book ought to be really good, too. smile It looks around 160 pages...maybe a bit much, but I think worth it, at least for me. smile
Oh, there's another book...two, actually..."How Not to be Popular" and "How NOT to Spend Your Senior Year" but I can't remember either of their authors, and yes, they are two different books with two different authors, but...oh...they're short. They ARE around 100 pages. Really good, "How Not to Be Popular" being far more comical than the other, though they both have their moments. Oh! Jennifer Ziegler wrote "How Not to Be Popular," and Cameron Dokey wrote "How Not to Spend Your Senior Year." Oh, I knew it was Cameron Dokey! But I wasn't sure, I haven't looked at the author of it recently...also, "The Storyteller's Daughter" by Cameron Dokey is SO good. Love love love it! Seriously. This one, I am a fanatic about, for real. If they held a convention for it that I knew about on another continent, I would swim to go to it. It is THAT GOOD, in my opinion.
Oh goodness. I've almost forgotten the best of all, because both genders can appreciate it. "The Squire's Tale" by Gerald Morris is a marvelous book, absolutely love it, but it's the first in a series of about...I think around eight books now? But, after the second book, the rest kind of meander around to touch on the lives of the other important people in the books, and there's even a sort of geneology thing going on with it. It's really quite fantastic, and best of all, there's not actually any obligation to continue the series if you don't like it. smile I don't remember how long it was, but it was about...oh...2/3 of an inch thick, in the pages? Not long at all, really. I dareasay around 130 pages, in an educated guess. smile
I hope I've given you something to choose from, at least... :3 If you have any scruples or questions or anything, you know, you're welcome to let me know.... smile  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:39 pm
thubui
well, if you lovr greek mythology anf non-stop adventure and action, i recommend percy jackson and the olympians by rick riordan

i love that series.
what i would recomend for an easy read is Remnants, by K. A. Applegate
it's actually 14 books, but each is less than 1/2 inch thick you could read each in about a half hour (well, i can, you might read slower) the only thing i don't know is if it would be available to find quickly. i had to request most of the series from a farther away library.
anyway, it's a fantasy series about how a comet many times bigger than earth is going to hit earth, and there are only 80 people who have a chance to get on a space shuttle, where they will be in a hibernation-pod-thingy. the series is about how the remnants of earth's people survive.
it's like elemtary school level, but still remains one of my favorite series. highly reccomended  

rutarete

~[More.than.More]~

9,350 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Clambake 200
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:46 pm
i like the complete anthologies of adgar allen poe, only 5 dollars at borders

but anything like artemus fowl or a series like pendragons. or something like the newest dan brown :hidden symbols:

or a factoid book for annoying things that start funy conversations.

the book of general ignorace has a lemmings entry that is quite informative  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:20 pm
rutarete
thubui
well, if you lovr greek mythology anf non-stop adventure and action, i recommend percy jackson and the olympians by rick riordan

i love that series.
what i would recomend for an easy read is Remnants, by K. A. Applegate
it's actually 14 books, but each is less than 1/2 inch thick you could read each in about a half hour (well, i can, you might read slower) the only thing i don't know is if it would be available to find quickly. i had to request most of the series from a farther away library.
anyway, it's a fantasy series about how a comet many times bigger than earth is going to hit earth, and there are only 80 people who have a chance to get on a space shuttle, where they will be in a hibernation-pod-thingy. the series is about how the remnants of earth's people survive.
it's like elemtary school level, but still remains one of my favorite series. highly reccomended
Oh, I read part of that series before...it was pretty depressing. Very well-written and interesting though. Just don't read if you mind (quite) a bit of sad and anguished parts...  

Semidis--
Vice Captain

Steel _R a i n d r o p s

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:33 am
~[More.than.More]~
i like the complete anthologies of adgar allen poe, only 5 dollars at borders

but anything like artemus fowl or a series like pendragons. or something like the newest dan brown :hidden symbols:

or a factoid book for annoying things that start funy conversations.

the book of general ignorace has a lemmings entry that is quite informative

I might try the first one :].

For fear of becomming to attached and then not wanting to read the book I have planed to read over christmas break, I'm trying to stay away from the heavy fantasy books. Dragons, magic, etc. Those things will just suck me in and then I'll be rereading Harry Potter books for weeks hahaha.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:17 pm
Heh. Well, doesn't that happen to us all?  

Ncrypt1d Threadkiller

Honk if you love reading!

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces