Reply Q&A (Are YOU using this?)
Parallax (now with more lasers!)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Man of the Demoneye

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:24 pm
I am thinking of semi-permenately mounting my scope on the 870 (12 ga.) and was planning to use a laser boresighter that I hope to get for Christmas. to do it. My question is do you measure the distance from the middle of the scope to the barrel and set the scope so it is (X) inches from the middle of the dot, or does it not matter? I will likely not shoot over 50 yards anyways, but I would still like to get it as accurate as possible.

If it makes any difference, I will be using the 870 with a Weaver bolt on rail and a Tasco 3-9x scope mounted on see through scope rings. Ammo will be some brand of slugs.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:23 pm
okay, so then does anyone have any experiences with the laser bore sight before I borrow it tomorrow?  

Man of the Demoneye

Tier One OPERATOR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:55 pm
There is a paralax correction but it's slightly less than the difference between the scope mount and bore  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:28 pm
I'd set it just a bit below the dot on the paper, to compensate for drop, but let's assume for the sake of argument that the bullet doesn't drop at all. Then what's the difference between the dot and a bullet? If the dot goes in the crosshairs, so will the bullet.

Finally, lol scoped shotgun.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Man of the Demoneye

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:37 pm
thanks for that guys. You really helped clear that up.

@Fresnel - the only thing I really use that particular gun for anymore is slugs, so that is the only reason I am mounting it. Now if it were a pistol...

pics because it happened.
User Image

Minus the flashlight mount and possibly the stand.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:21 am
If you're going to make it a slug gun, you might as well give it a slug barrel. I'm 90% sure that a rifled barrel works just as well, if not better, than a smoothbore barrel when firing rifled slugs.

Also, I have totally seen pistols with scopes. They're apparently pretty big in the hunting world. .357s, .44s...

.50AE...

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Man of the Demoneye

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:13 pm
Fresnel
If you're going to make it a slug gun, you might as well give it a slug barrel. I'm 90% sure that a rifled barrel works just as well, if not better, than a smoothbore barrel when firing rifled slugs.

Also, I have totally seen pistols with scopes. They're apparently pretty big in the hunting world. .357s, .44s...

.50AE...

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Yeah, but I'm too broke / cheap to do it 100% right. Mostly I thought shooting with a scope would be fun, since it is different than what I usually do. It is also the closest I will ever get to a rifle unless I happen to get a muzzleloader in the future, but I am preoccupied with the hunt for a 1911 right now.

As for the pistol, I know of a few states that have special pistol seasons for deer, and to be honest, some of my friends make me envious. One had a .44 magnum and the other was some sort of bolt action single shot with a bipod.

Also, would mounting a sight like an EOTech on a moving slide affect it or the action much if at all? Reason I'm asking is I'm playing with the idea of a compact military / police shotgun and it might help the idea along.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:37 pm
Rifled slugs+rifled barrel = increased leading (usually)

It doesn't really add much to the performance, either.  

uryu ishida

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:51 am
Man of the Demoneye
Also, would mounting a sight like an EOTech on a moving slide affect it or the action much if at all? Reason I'm asking is I'm playing with the idea of a compact military / police shotgun and it might help the idea along.
Ohhhh yeah. First of all, it adds an extra half-pound to the weight of the slide. That'll screw up the mass of the slide, and short-stroke your action, leading to massive FTEs. Second, eventually it'll knock the scope off-zero, or off the rail altogether. Third, the slide doesn't come to rest in exactly the same spot every time. It'd be off a little bit from the time before, and that would widen your groups. Though with a shotgun, #3 isn't much of a concern.

What you COULD do, is make a U-shaped slide and run a fixed rail over the top, like a Buckmark.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:38 am
Fresnel
Man of the Demoneye
Ohhhh yeah. First of all, it adds an extra half-pound to the weight of the slide. That'll screw up the mass of the slide, and short-stroke your action, leading to massive FTEs. Second, eventually it'll knock the scope off-zero, or off the rail altogether. Third, the slide doesn't come to rest in exactly the same spot every time. It'd be off a little bit from the time before, and that would widen your groups. Though with a shotgun, #3 isn't much of a concern.

What you COULD do, is make a U-shaped slide and run a fixed rail over the top, like a Buckmark.

Thanks, I figured as much. I think I will stick to plain old sights then. I think I have the basic mechanical system figured out, but the biggest problem was where to place the magazine. For now, it's stuck in front of the trigger guard since it would be way too big to wrap one's hand around if it was in the grip.

Actually, the thing was originally inspired by this: http://www.hasbro.com/common/productimages/en_US/93b438e86d4010148bf09efbf894f9d4/C0221E55D56FE112431652AFFDF37AE4.jpg without all the stuff on it. I just wish I could find a free or cheap CAD program to draw it out so I can see what everyone here thinks of it.

Edit: I'm going to try google sketchup. Will post pics if or when I figure it out / get around to it.

Edit 2:
google
the U.S. Department of State's Debarred List, or on the U.S. Department of Treasury's lists of Specially Designated Nationals, Specially Designated Narcotics Traffickers, or Specially Designated Terrorists, (iii) not export, or re-export the Software to any military entity not approved under the EAR, or to any other entity for any military purpose, and (iv) not license, sell, provide or distribute the Software for use in connection with chemical, biological, or nuclear weapons or missiles capable of delivering such weapons.

So I can't use any google software for terrorism or taking out other countries? Damn, there goes that idea. rofl

Edit: I finaly got around to drawing something. The design has changed from a pistol type action to something more traditional looking, but still unique. I'd post pictures and details, but I plan to maybe get it to a gun company and see what they think. Not that I don't trust you guys, but it is the internet and anyone could see it. So far I only have a barrel and a spring, so it's a start anyways. Only concern is recoil. Other than that it looks good (in my mind anyways)  

Man of the Demoneye

Q&A (Are YOU using this?)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff