Reply Twilight - The Book, by Stephenie Meyer
midnight sun Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

hugcx hvgvcvjbv

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:33 pm
ok so have any of you heard about MIDNIGHT SUN by STEPHENIE MEYER its just like TWILIGHT except only its EDWARD'S side of the story this time.You can read a few chapters if you go to thw website www.thetwilightsaga.com  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:59 pm
This has been out for a long time actually. She was playing with it before Breaking Dawn came out. She isn't going to write any more of it for a while because it got leaked.  

Queen-of-the-Rogue

Merry Muse

16,700 Points
  • Wintersday Bard 50
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Advent Attendee 50

Glitterbean

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:38 pm
Yeah, Midnight Sun is famous (in the Twilight community, at least). It was a big scandal because an early draft of it got leaked, so Stephenie decided to put it on hold for an "indefinite" amount of time. It's surprising that you haven't heard of it; like I said, it's a big deal. A lot of fans organized shows of support for her to try to get her to pick it up again, but so far, it hasn't worked. My personal theory is that she just got worn out from and overwhelmed by her sudden fame (and the stresses that came with it), and sort of burned out. I kind of got the impression reading Breaking Dawn that she was just tired of writing this story and was trying to just get it over with, and when the leak happened, she grabbed onto it as an excuse to put the whole thing on hold. But that's just me. Anyway...

I don't know how many chapters are at www.thetwilightsaga.com, but there are also quite a few chapters on Stephenie's website, www.stepheniemeyer.com. Here is the latest (to my knowledge) public comment that Stephenie has issued in regards to Midnight Sun:

I've found that there really isn't any answer I can give that changes the substance or tenor of the myriads of requests, pleadings, and demands I get for Midnight Sun to be finished, so I feel a little silly answering that question at all. But it's the most popular question, so I'll take another stab at it.

I am not working on Midnight Sun now. I don't have a plan for when I'll get to it; I don't know now what the right time for it will be.

In your questions, there were some erroneous conclusions about the situation which I'll try to set straight. First, Midnight Sun is not finished and locked in a safe, waiting for me to be done angsting over the leak. If it were done, I would be throwing it on the bookstore shelves myself. I'd love to be able to give it to all the people who are anxiously waiting for it. Second, I am not upset about the leak. I haven't been for a long time; I was over it after about three weeks. Third, and most important, I am not trying to punish anyone. Not the persons who leaked it, not the people who read the leak, nobody. As I said, it would make me very happy to be able to give it to anyone who wants it.

So why the hold up? Because it's not finished and lying in a safe. It's not done, and finishing it is not a simple matter of sitting down in front of my computer and typing out the words; the words have to be there in my head to type out, and right now, they're not. I have to be in the zone to write any story, and trying to force myself into that zone is a waste of time, I've found. I'll get back to Midnight Sun when the story is compelling to me again. Just because people want it so badly does not make it more write-able; kind of the opposite, actually. I need to be alone with a story to write, and Midnight Sun feels really crowded, if you know what I mean.

People write for different reasons. I have always written to make myself happy. If I'm enjoying a story, feeling the creativity flow, engrossed in a world, then I write and I write fast. If I'm not into it, I can't write. I've never been someone who writes on demand and I can't imagine working that way. As cool as it would be to say to my favorite author, "You know, I'd really like to read a great book about a narwhal mafia. Write that for me, 'kay?" or even "I'd love a sequel to that last one," that's not how it works. How it works is that my favorite author writes a new book about whatever he/she is interested in. Maybe it takes a year, maybe it takes five. If it's something I want to read, I buy it or I check it out at the library. If not, I find something else to read. The end.

(All of this goes for writing about vampires in general, too. Vampires and I? We're on a break.)

I'm pretty sure this won't slow the pleadings and the demands, but I didn't want you to think I was ignoring the question.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:55 pm
Yeah. It has been out for a while. It is so interesting. I wish she would put out the end of it though. smile  

Jane Volturi 1996

3,500 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250

Glitterbean

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:25 pm
The end isn't written yet.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:56 am
I refuse to read it. /:  

.Lady Rosewater.

Invisible Sophomore

11,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Glitterbean

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:47 pm
.Lady Rosewater.
I refuse to read it. /:

Why? Stephenie put it on her website specifically so people could read it without feeling guilty.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:20 pm
But it's like reading Twilight all over... only it's worse! I read it, and I skipped liked pretty much 90% of it. It's rehashing the book; there is nothing fun in that. By this point, I feel like it's milking the cash cow when it's already keeled over and died.

Twilight Scribe

Queen-of-the-Rogue

Merry Muse

16,700 Points
  • Wintersday Bard 50
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Advent Attendee 50
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:41 pm
I'm not going to read it because I don't see the point since it's basically Twilight from Edward's P.O.V and we know most of what happens and quite frankly I don't like reading a book that will probably never be finished. I'm the same way with fanfics. If it looks good but says it's been discontinued or put on a hiatus I skip over it instead.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:16 pm
Twilight Scribe
But it's like reading Twilight all over... only it's worse! I read it, and I skipped liked pretty much 90% of it. It's rehashing the book; there is nothing fun in that. By this point, I feel like it's milking the cash cow when it's already keeled over and died.

I don't think she's trying to "milk the cash cow"...If I'm remembering correctly, SM said it started as an exercise in character development that got out of hand. She wasn't even sure the publishers would take it, but she kept writing anyway.

I personally think that it's interesting enough (I read all but the last few pages), but there are some things I dislike about it. For one, it is definitely disconcerting to realize how stalker-esque Edward really is. I mean, there's no denying he's a stalker just based on the other books, but it's still depressing to actually read it from his point of view and see how creepy it really is.

My main problem with it, though, is how self-flagellating and unconfident Edward is in his thoughts. In Twilight, he comes off as so smooth and suave, to the point of arrogance, but in MS, you'd think he was a completely different person. I think it's a huge leap from the way Edward is in MS to the way he is in Twilight, and it can't be both ways. The lack of continuity annoys me to no end. Not to mention that it gets repetitive hearing Edward despair, "I'm a soulless monster, I don't deserve her, I'm damned, blah blah blah." It's repetitive in the way that it's repetitive to hear Bella constantly refer to Edward as "godlike" and "flawless" etc, etc. So that gets annoying.

Nevertheless, I still think it's interesting enough that I would buy it if it ever comes out. I'm hoping that since SM's taking such a long break, perhaps she will have improved her writing skills by the time she comes back to it and the writing of MS will be more sophisticated than that of Twilight. *fingers crossed*

Sorry for the incredibly long post. I'm procrastinating on a paper right now. sweatdrop

And by the way, Twilight Scribe, I've been meaning to ask you something. Are you a Twilight fan yourself, or not? This is in no way meant to be hostile, and I promise I won't attack you with torches and pitchforks if you say no. blaugh I'm just curious...you seem to have many more things you dislike about the books than you like, yet you're a regular on this board, so I was just wondering.  

Glitterbean

Glitterbean

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:22 pm
Queen-of-the-Rogue
I'm not going to read it because I don't see the point since it's basically Twilight from Edward's P.O.V and we know most of what happens and quite frankly I don't like reading a book that will probably never be finished. I'm the same way with fanfics. If it looks good but says it's been discontinued or put on a hiatus I skip over it instead.

Ah. I know what you mean about the fanfics. There are few things more depressing than finding a good story, only to discover that it's not being updated any more. crying

Still, even though we know what happens plot-wise in MS, it's interesting to get inside Edward's head. Plus, we get to see character interactions that we don't see from Bella's POV (for example, we get a closer look at Edward's relationship with Carlisle, and we see interactions between Edward and Emmett, and Edward and Tanya). I think that's interesting. But maybe that's just me. I tend to be interested in things other people think are boring...  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:48 pm
Glitterbean
And by the way, Twilight Scribe, I've been meaning to ask you something. Are you a Twilight fan yourself, or not? This is in no way meant to be hostile, and I promise I won't attack you with torches and pitchforks if you say no. blaugh I'm just curious...you seem to have many more things you dislike about the books than you like, yet you're a regular on this board, so I was just wondering.
I'm a Twilight fan, but I'm an intelligent fan and even that status is waning. My problem is that there's just so much that's wrong with the books, that I can't ignore it; the only thing I liked about the books is the potential that they had. But by the end, they'd turned into something like a wet-dream, and that was a huge turn-off for me. It doesn't stop me from writing fanfiction, though.

And I'm a regular because I'm always looking for discussion. *shrugs* I just like hanging around in guilds; it's easier for me.

Twilight Scribe

Queen-of-the-Rogue

Merry Muse

16,700 Points
  • Wintersday Bard 50
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Advent Attendee 50
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:05 pm
I spend a lot of time in guilds but I don't always post. Sometimes I lurk and read what other people have written.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:25 am
[quote="Twilight Scribe] I'm a Twilight fan, but I'm an intelligent fan and even that status is waning. My problem is that there's just so much that's wrong with the books, that I can't ignore it; the only thing I liked about the books is the potential that they had. But by the end, they'd turned into something like a wet-dream, and that was a huge turn-off for me. It doesn't stop me from writing fanfiction, though.

And I'm a regular because I'm always looking for discussion. *shrugs* I just like hanging around in guilds; it's easier for me.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I used to be crazy about the books (not in the uber-obsessive, insane, scream-every-time-Robert-Pattinson-touches-his-hair way, but still really into the books), but then I started realizing there are so many problems with them that can't be ignored. The main one being that Edward is a stalker, although from what I understand, this isn't too uncommon in the romance genre as a whole (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). But then there're all the spelling and grammar errors (is it that hard to proofread? Especially with how much the editors probably make off the series, you'd think they'd be able to catch elementary school-level grammar mistakes.).

Sigh. I can't tell you how much I wish that someone else (J.K. Rowling maybe?) had thought of this series. Because it is a great idea, but the way it's written is just so unsophisticated. And I hate Bella's character. Maybe another author would have been able to make a protagonist that I can actually sympathize with...sigh. /End rant.

As you can probably tell, I love discussion, too! Unfortunately, this guild isn't the alive place it used to be. Almost no one ever comes on anymore...It's hard to find a place to have an intelligent discussion about Twilight anymore. sad

Would you mind posting a link to your fanfictions? It's so hard to find good fanfiction; you have to weed through all the ones that are totally OOC and have no grammar just to get to the ones that are actually readable...It's one of the reasons I've kind of given up on fanfiction.net. sad  

Glitterbean

Twilight Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:21 pm
@Glitterbean: I don't think that Meyer even had an editor when she wrote the books; from what I've heard, she's got that dreaded bloated ego. I think her problem is that she based it off of a dream, and then decided to try and go from there; but didn't actually take into account that she needed to structure a plot from that. I have nothing against where she got the idea from, but the way she's talked about how she wrote it – and how she wrote it – I have very little faith in her as being a good author.

Oh, I've been a member of this guild for a long time, and I've seen it go from a crazy, bustling place, to the desolate landscape that it is now. It's a bit sad, but I've met a few people over at the official discussion thread (ignoring the crazies), and in the anti-thread, surprisingly.

As for my fanfiction, the banner in my signature leads to my currently huge project that I've carried on from NaNo of last year, Complexity. I'm going to have to warn you ahead of time of this but... I do not write canon fanfiction. Everything on my FF.net account – Twilight Zephyr – is uncanon, and you can find links to my fanfiction on my LJ too, and there's a link to that on my profile at FF.net.

Currently, my ships are thus: Marcus/Seth, Edward/Jasper, and Jasper/Jacob. I've got several fics that I'm currently working on, and a few completed ones, so you're free to check them out. Just please leave me some indication of what you thought, yes? I'm always looking for ways to improve, and if you spot any errors, feel free to point those out too.

For FF.net, I've stuck to what I know, and that's slash. Generally, you find a lot of very good authors in the Twilight slash scene. Other then that, I would suggest hunting up a few other fandoms that are a little more established, or just heading over to LJ. I've noticed a lot of really amazing authors are very active there or on other sites.

Twilight - The Book, by Stephenie Meyer

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff