Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Random / Chatterbox
Okay I need an Opinion =/

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Dangerous Macadamia

Anxious Kitten

12,725 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:57 pm
Okay well, I need an opinion on whether I need to get a computer or a phone..
Pros
Phone-Texting, I do not have to us my mom's phone, possible nationwide service

Computer-I don't have to use my Step-Dad's computer, I have my own privacy, I can do my homework on it, there's many more..

Cons
Phone-High Phone bill parent's have to pay, etc

Computer-The battery might literally die on me, Internet(Wireless) may not stay connected as long,etc

So what should I ask this Christmas?  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:22 am
Phones are generally getting more high tech these days... though they still are hardly anywhere good substitutes for anything thats not for just phone or texting... and generally the phone company will charge extra for things that aren't explicitly in your phone service package.

Computers are wonderful tools (and gaming platforms), and generally can handle more powerful software than their phone counterparts... but the only real issue I can see is the ease of portability. You issue with the battery isn't really a terrible one if it's a new computer, as batteries in computers generally have long lives. Also internet isn't too much of an issue since most people (at least to my experience), aren't really smart enough to check and make sure that their wireless router is encoded and protected.

In all honesty, go for the computer. Also ask for a carrying bag or backpack for your computer as well... especially if you want to take it places.  

Chaotix Bluix
Crew

Eternal Lunatic

16,850 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • That One Hero 500
  • Divine Donator 100

Dangerous Macadamia

Anxious Kitten

12,725 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:03 am
I've got a carrying case but it was for my computer that sadly died (R.I.P. Acer Inspire =[ ) I really want a computer thats bigger than those midget(sp?) ones since elbow space is needed in my opinion =3  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:14 pm
Definately computer.

I say this because I don't even use my own cell phone. In fact, my mother is thinking of getting rid of my phone to save money.
I believe phones are a waste of money.  

Mezzo_Forte

rutarete

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:16 pm
i would say go for a computer, wether it's a laptop or other type a phone is prone to die at a much higher rate  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:33 pm
Lol whats with the whole listing wireless as a con? As long as you don't decide to use your computer somewhere ridiculously far away from your router you will be fine. Also, more than likely you will get Windows 7 on your laptop which will make it a snap to connect.

Honestly go with the laptop 3nodding  

Tron714
Vice Captain

Dangerous Macadamia

Anxious Kitten

12,725 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:21 pm
Tron714
Lol whats with the whole listing wireless as a con? As long as you don't decide to use your computer somewhere ridiculously far away from your router you will be fine. Also, more than likely you will get Windows 7 on your laptop which will make it a snap to connect.

Honestly go with the laptop 3nodding

Yeah, I know, I am going for the laptop. What brand though? I want an Acer but they're...idk..I think I might get a Dell at Wally world...  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:48 am
Honestly it depends on your age and how social you are. If you're in high school without a car/friends that drive, then you're probably in the house all day and don't call people often. It's okay, we've all been there and some day things will get better. In this case I'd recommend a computer.

If you're driving / hanging out with friends who do so or in college, then a phone with unlimited texting will be fantastic. Actually, most sensible people would agree that in this day and age you're best off having a cell phone on you at all time if you're going out a lot in case of emergency.

So yeah, I'm not really sure of your current situation so it's hard to really make a judgement call.  

nitnit
Captain

Random / Chatterbox

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces