Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Animal Lovers Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for all animal lovers and pet owners 

Tags: animal lovers, pets, animals, cats birds dogs fish reptile, official animal lovers guild 

Reply Main Forum
Urgent, Please Help

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

BlissfulCalamity

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:37 am
I've come across a bit of a problem, and was hoping that someone could give me some advice. Our neighbors' dog has been out in the alley since Friday night. They have been asked to retrieve their dog, because she has been out there before. However, when my sister went over to ask them, they claimed it wasn't their dog. I am pretty sure it is their dog, because I saw them take the dog in the last time she was out, and we have seen their kids playing with the dog.

I'm not sure what to do. The dog is a yellow lab, and she is very friendly. I'm not sure if I should let her come into the yard, as people could become suspicious and think she belongs to us. I got out once to knock on the neighbor's back door, and she slipped through my legs and into our yard, but I quickly got her out. I learned from that experience that she doesn't chase cats, so at least now I know that my cat is safe. I gave the dog a little bit of food yesterday, through the fence. That was it.

I really don't know what to do. My mom is scared of calling an animal shelter. She's scared that the neighbors will come back and claim that we're lying, even though the dog's been out there for almost two days now.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:13 pm
Well, they said it wasn't theirs, so probably the best thing to do it call the animal shelter.
If it really isn't theirs, then at least it's owners can find it that way.

Sarahmooo
Captain

BlissfulCalamity

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:53 pm
I want to call the animal shelter, but my mom is still a little scared. I couldn't care less if the neighbors hated me, I don't care what anyone thinks of me. In my opinion, that dog's life is more important than what they think of me (if it is their dog).
But my mom. She for some reason seems to deeply care about that, especially since we just moved to this neighborhood. I really don't get it though.
And if the neighbors do end up hating us, I will get blamed. Then again, I don't really care about getting in trouble for something like this. At least the dog won't end up on the street. I should put up signs or something. But I don't think my dad will let me bring the dog into our yard.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:36 pm
Obviously, the dog is in a bad place with its would-be owners. It also obviously wants attention and a home... Evidenced by running into your yard when it had the opportunity.

As for what to do? I think you should tell the owners that you're going to call the animal shelter. If they do something about it before you can, okay (though I still think it sounds like they're most likely absolutely terrible dog owners). If they don't, they have no right to complain... After all, it "isn't their dog."

In the mean time, discuss it with your parents. At the very least, give it food every day--at the most, give it a home (in your yard, in your garage, ideally the house but it sounds like that can't and won't happen--just something!) and food until the animal shelter (make sure it's a no-kill, this sounds like a sweetheart of a dog!) can take her...

Really, I'd be seriously PO'd at my parents if they were acting like that. Really? "I don't want the neighbors to hate us, so let's just leave that obviously mistreated dog there." Your mom has f-ed up logic, and it doesn't sound like she gives a s**t about animals and their welfare, especially when her "public reputation" is at risk... Sorry, but that's the truth (or, how it seems from where I'm standing). Who cares if these neighbors hate you? From what you've told us, they sound like terrible people... (Yes, in my mind (if not everyone's, as it should be), unwillingness to do right by one's dog = terrible... Especially considering dogs are such a no-brainer, and especially if "not doing right" means leaving said dog in an alley and ignoring it.) Personally, I wouldn't want to be associated with someone like that, let alone "liked" by such a person.

Sorry if any of this sounds harsh. It's just my $.02... What you do is up to you, but I really hope you do the right thing by that dog, regardless of what your parents or neighbors may think.  

Foofy_Miru

Sarahmooo
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:28 pm
Foofy_Miru
Obviously, the dog is in a bad place with its would-be owners. It also obviously wants attention and a home... Evidenced by running into your yard when it had the opportunity.

As for what to do? I think you should tell the owners that you're going to call the animal shelter. If they do something about it before you can, okay (though I still think it sounds like they're most likely absolutely terrible dog owners). If they don't, they have no right to complain... After all, it "isn't their dog."

In the mean time, discuss it with your parents. At the very least, give it food every day--at the most, give it a home (in your yard, in your garage, ideally the house but it sounds like that can't and won't happen--just something!) and food until the animal shelter (make sure it's a no-kill, this sounds like a sweetheart of a dog!) can take her...

Really, I'd be seriously PO'd at my parents if they were acting like that. Really? "I don't want the neighbors to hate us, so let's just leave that obviously mistreated dog there." Your mom has f-ed up logic, and it doesn't sound like she gives a s**t about animals and their welfare, especially when her "public reputation" is at risk... Sorry, but that's the truth (or, how it seems from where I'm standing). Who cares if these neighbors hate you? From what you've told us, they sound like terrible people... (Yes, in my mind (if not everyone's, as it should be), unwillingness to do right by one's dog = terrible... Especially considering dogs are such a no-brainer, and especially if "not doing right" means leaving said dog in an alley and ignoring it.) Personally, I wouldn't want to be associated with someone like that, let alone "liked" by such a person.

Sorry if any of this sounds harsh. It's just my $.02... What you do is up to you, but I really hope you do the right thing by that dog, regardless of what your parents or neighbors may think.

Thank you!
I wanted to say the same thing but I had to leave lmao
I'm kind of freaked out.
You're a little too much like me >->

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:06 pm
Skittleo

Thank you!
I'm kind of freaked out.

Skittle.

I am you.

From the future.

*DUNDUNDUN!!!*  

Foofy_Miru

Sarahmooo
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:33 am
Foofy_Miru
Skittleo

Thank you!
I'm kind of freaked out.

Skittle.

I am you.

From the future.

*DUNDUNDUN!!!*

That's so cool!
Well, you're avatar does have red hair like me >->

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:20 am
I think its best if you did take it to the shelter. If its the neighbors dog what they're doing is cruel and shouldn't even have a dog if thats whats going on. The shelter would be the best place for it.  

Atrocitiesss

Chatty Winner

Nahymana

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:55 am
Careful with shelters. A lot of them aren't "no-kill" and give the dogs very poor living conditions. Maybe you could try finding a rescue organization that puts the dogs into foster homes.

If it's their dog, they need to take care of it or deal with the consequences of the choices they made.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:17 pm
Foofy_Miru

No, I don't see it as harsh. I never have cared what others thought of me, and I never will. Especially in situations like this.
As for the dog, she went to a shelter. When the guy arrived to pick her up, he said she'd probably find a home quickly , especially since she was all happy and playful.

Sorry, I forgot to come back and update.  

BlissfulCalamity

Foofy_Miru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:35 am
BlissfulCalamity
No, I don't see it as harsh. I never have cared what others thought of me, and I never will. Especially in situations like this.
As for the dog, she went to a shelter. When the guy arrived to pick her up, he said she'd probably find a home quickly , especially since she was all happy and playful.

Sorry, I forgot to come back and update.

I'm so glad to hear that!! Thank you for calling the shelter... I'm sure she's MUCH happier now. =)  
Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games