Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Animal Lovers Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for all animal lovers and pet owners 

Tags: animal lovers, pets, animals, cats birds dogs fish reptile, official animal lovers guild 

Reply Main Forum
i will make him like me Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:26 pm
i moved my baby cresty to a 10gal today instead of his large exo terra tank. i want him to get used to me and in the large tank it was easy for him to avoid me so we never had any interaction besides him sitting on his bowl when it was time to feed him. in the 10gal he has to get used to my hand. also it will be easier to feed him crickets if i ever deside to. he has already grown an inch and ive only had him for about a month and a half. he is still super cute ^.^

also i know this is impossable but i could have sworn he moves his eye. cresties cant do that as far as i know, i know gargs can because pan used to do that. idk, a trick of the light i guess. he was not happy to have a smaller tank though but its only for a few months. and he is on eco earth instead of paper towels now. its his first time on anything but paper towels and it was so cute to see his reaction. he took one step on the stuff then just looked at it for the longest time.

its times thike this i wish i could take him out and give him cuddles XD  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:42 pm
If gargs can move their eyes, I'd guess that cresties can, too. They're pretty closely related animals. I don't exactly know what you mean by "move their eyes," though, so I can't say anything more than that.

Lol... Good luck with taming the beast! wink  

Foofy_Miru

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:49 pm
from what ive been told by otehr cresty and garg owners cresties cant move their eyes. alot of these owners that wold me that i would even consider experts and taught me everything i know about these species

and by moving eyes i mean what this gaboon is doing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZWn7i-g3VQ
not the best example but my camera sucks and i couldnt get the best angle of the big guy  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:16 pm
Good luck with bonding with him!
I'm sure he'll adjust to his smaller cage and stuff too.
And I don't know anything about them being able to move their eyes or not lol

Sarahmooo
Captain

Foofy_Miru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:19 pm
Well, if the experts say it's so, it's probably so... I can't really know for sure on the subject until I get a crestie (or three) of my own. ^.^'

That's a very pretty Gabby in the video, btw... As much as they terrify me. Lol.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 pm
i wish i could say he is mine, i want to adopt him someday. he is at a reptile rescue/zoo just a few hours away from me. this place adopts out their snakes if they find a good home. i still need to find someone to train under before im able to keep venomous snakes though. i really adore this guy and go to visit him at least once a year.  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Foofy_Miru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:54 pm
Good luck with that... I would never have the guts to keep venomous, lol. Even hognoses make me nervous... Let alone something as big and deadly as a Gaboon. xP  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:18 pm
i only want that gaboon, other than him they dont interest me as much as some other species. i plan on getting a horned viper one day but thats not much better venom-wise lol i may opt for a rattler though, ive heard some species tame very easily and make as great a starter as your going to get. but most people tell me the best thing to do is find your favorite species and just start with that, that venom is venom and its dangerous no matter what

one of the next snakes i plan on getting is a hognose, i havent decided on eastern or western yet though

it will be years before i own one though. no private collections in my area and the zoo i want to work at isnt hiring  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Foofy_Miru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:43 pm
Shanna66
i only want that gaboon, other than him they dont interest me as much as some other species. i plan on getting a horned viper one day but thats not much better venom-wise lol i may opt for a rattler though, ive heard some species tame very easily and make as great a starter as your going to get. but most people tell me the best thing to do is find your favorite species and just start with that, that venom is venom and its dangerous no matter what

one of the next snakes i plan on getting is a hognose, i havent decided on eastern or western yet though

it will be years before i own one though. no private collections in my area and the zoo i want to work at isnt hiring

Lol... Fell in love with the ONE animal, huh? Kind of like, I don't want another beardie... But there's no way I would give up my Man Ray. Regardless of how tame a species gets, though, remember that venomous is still venomous. It would be stupid, IMO, to free-handle the most puppy-dog tame False Water Cobra, let alone any sort of pit viper. It doesn't matter how docile they are, because accidents can still happen.

Until you can start training to keep hots, maybe you should take on an ATB, GTP, or ETB? I've heard ATBs and chondros referred to as "good practice hots" since they usually spend all their time trying to "kill" you. Since they don't have venom, though, all their bites do is hurt... Basically, if you decide you want to get into hots, you take on, say, a particularly mean Amazon Tree Boa and, whenever you get tagged/bitten, mark it on a calender. Say to yourself, "I just got sent to the hospital in an ambulance" or something of the sort. It'll help get across the seriousness of keeping hots to your mind and, once you reach a point where there hasn't been a single mark on your "bite calender" for at least a couple months, you can consider yourself ready to start training. Plus, since these species are usually rather particular in their habitat requirements, it helps you become familiar with the more specialized care some animals need.

I actually want to get a tame ATB, simply because they're such a cool species. They're really colorful, too. =3

What are the main differences between Eastern and Western hognoses? I haven't read much into them, other than what I've been told (about westerns, I think) by hognose keepers on the corn snake forums, so I don't really know much about what sets each species apart. Heck, I don't think I even know what an Eastern looks like, if it isn't identical to a Western, since I'm 99% sure all/most of the hognoses kept by the CS.com folks are westerns...  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:06 pm
Foofy_Miru
Shanna66

Lol... Fell in love with the ONE animal, huh? Kind of like, I don't want another beardie... But there's no way I would give up my Man Ray. Regardless of how tame a species gets, though, remember that venomous is still venomous. It would be stupid, IMO, to free-handle the most puppy-dog tame False Water Cobra, let alone any sort of pit viper. It doesn't matter how docile they are, because accidents can still happen.

Until you can start training to keep hots, maybe you should take on an ATB, GTP, or ETB? I've heard ATBs and chondros referred to as "good practice hots" since they usually spend all their time trying to "kill" you. Since they don't have venom, though, all their bites do is hurt... Basically, if you decide you want to get into hots, you take on, say, a particularly mean Amazon Tree Boa and, whenever you get tagged/bitten, mark it on a calender. Say to yourself, "I just got sent to the hospital in an ambulance" or something of the sort. It'll help get across the seriousness of keeping hots to your mind and, once you reach a point where there hasn't been a single mark on your "bite calender" for at least a couple months, you can consider yourself ready to start training. Plus, since these species are usually rather particular in their habitat requirements, it helps you become familiar with the more specialized care some animals need.

I actually want to get a tame ATB, simply because they're such a cool species. They're really colorful, too. =3

What are the main differences between Eastern and Western hognoses? I haven't read much into them, other than what I've been told (about westerns, I think) by hognose keepers on the corn snake forums, so I don't really know much about what sets each species apart. Heck, I don't think I even know what an Eastern looks like, if it isn't identical to a Western, since I'm 99% sure all/most of the hognoses kept by the CS.com folks are westerns...

besides feeding and cleaning i dont plan on having any interaction with them. i dont want to get one to be a companion or to show off, i want one because i adore venomous snakes, they look amazing and there is just something majestic about them, especialy vipers.

lol, tree snakes arent too friendly i take it? i adore ETBs, but i hate having humid setups. my cresty and ball python give me enough trouble. yet another reason why i want a horned viper

and im really not sure the difference between eastern and western hogs, hence why i dont know which one i want yet XD  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Foofy_Miru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:24 pm
Alright, just wanted to clarify. =)

I don't know about ALL tree snakes, but, yeah, tree boids seem to carry a reputation of being pains in the rear on temperament. I'm under the impression ATBs are more forgiving on their set-up... I've heard of ATBs being considered good starter animals for the not-so-experienced herper that wants to jump right in to the pickier arboreals. They don't get too big, either. My mom likes ETBs the best of the arboreals, but it scares me that they get so big with their massive teeth.

I could also send you Lucy, my TBS. She'd make a great "practice hot"... wink Lol, j/k. She really does try to eat me whenever she has the opportunity, though. Unless she's deep in shed, then she just hisses her face off and tries to get away. Mean, scary snake. I actually keep her much like you say you would a hot... Lol. Only interact with her when I have to. Hooking her out to clean the enclosure, trying to hurry and change the water while she's distracted by food... She's not hook trained, either, so the former is REALLY fun. Not. xP  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:09 am
lol XD

ive seen gloves that you cna get where if a snake bites it wont hurt, im not sure how well they work because ive never seen someone using them

at the moment i think ill be using the eastern milk as a practice snake, he loves biting. he is too tiny for snake hooks but he hasnt calmed down at all after months. he has his personality set and he will only tolorate the fiance, and even then not by much. he likes to pretend he is bigger than he really is

i also want to look into rescues and maybe find a defanged snake or one thats already gotten used to people somewhat. i want to do that before i look for a breeder. one thing i do know is that i dont want wild caught or captive hatched  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Foofy_Miru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:02 pm
Shanna66
lol XD

ive seen gloves that you cna get where if a snake bites it wont hurt, im not sure how well they work because ive never seen someone using them

at the moment i think ill be using the eastern milk as a practice snake, he loves biting. he is too tiny for snake hooks but he hasnt calmed down at all after months. he has his personality set and he will only tolorate the fiance, and even then not by much. he likes to pretend he is bigger than he really is

i also want to look into rescues and maybe find a defanged snake or one thats already gotten used to people somewhat. i want to do that before i look for a breeder. one thing i do know is that i dont want wild caught or captive hatched

I think you're thinking of Kevlar. There's no guarantee that a venomous snake's fangs won't pierce right through, though.

FWIW, I still think an arboreal would be a better practice animal. Since they're up in the "trees," they're pretty much wherever you go... Eastern milk will likely be hiding away whenever you go to do cage maintenance. (Not to mention the prospect of going from tiny eastern milk to massive pit viper!)

Venomoid snakes... Another unreliable thing, and, as I've heard it, cruel to boot. Hold on, let me track down the info I came across recently... Here we go. This is a direct copy and paste from a post made by a member of the corn snake forum, who aspires to be a venomous keeper, as well.

"It IS possible, but not recommended. The venomoid procedure is usually done by backyard unlicensed "vets", and the health risk to the animal is VERY high. Several venomous snakes use their venom as a way to aid in their digestion. When I decide to keep a cobra (after years of working with them with a licensed venomous expert), it would still have it's venom glands. And even then, I wouldn't have more than one or two. They are absolutely beautiful animals, and I would hate to risk their life by trying to make them "safer". Besides, if the venomoid "procedure" is done incorrectly, the venom glands grow back."

Here's a link to the thread it's from... The quoted post is from Page 4, but this link is to Page 5 since it's where most of the discussion took place: http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92326&page=5  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:19 pm
Foofy_Miru
Shanna66
lol XD

I think you're thinking of Kevlar. There's no guarantee that a venomous snake's fangs won't pierce right through, though.

FWIW, I still think an arboreal would be a better practice animal. Since they're up in the "trees," they're pretty much wherever you go... Eastern milk will likely be hiding away whenever you go to do cage maintenance. (Not to mention the prospect of going from tiny eastern milk to massive pit viper!)

Venomoid snakes... Another unreliable thing, and, as I've heard it, cruel to boot. Hold on, let me track down the info I came across recently... Here we go. This is a direct copy and paste from a post made by a member of the corn snake forum, who aspires to be a venomous keeper, as well.

"It IS possible, but not recommended. The venomoid procedure is usually done by backyard unlicensed "vets", and the health risk to the animal is VERY high. Several venomous snakes use their venom as a way to aid in their digestion. When I decide to keep a cobra (after years of working with them with a licensed venomous expert), it would still have it's venom glands. And even then, I wouldn't have more than one or two. They are absolutely beautiful animals, and I would hate to risk their life by trying to make them "safer". Besides, if the venomoid "procedure" is done incorrectly, the venom glands grow back."

Here's a link to the thread it's from... The quoted post is from Page 4, but this link is to Page 5 since it's where most of the discussion took place: http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92326&page=5

i would never get a snake defanged. i meant finding a rescue that had one already defanged up for adoption. i view defanging snakes the same way i view getting a dog's vocal cords cut, horrible but i wouldnt let it stop me from adopting an animal that already had that done to them
thanks for the link though  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Foofy_Miru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:11 pm
Okay, I didn't quite get that part... =)

Part of why I copied and pasted that post, though, was this: "Besides, if the venomoid "procedure" is done incorrectly, the venom glands grow back." In other words, even if you get a venomoid snake, you can't be sure it will STAY venomoid.  
Main Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff