Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gamers Promised Land, Gaia's Best Gaming and Pop Culture

Back to Guilds

Gaia's best guild for discussions and contests about Video Games, Pop Culture, general geek stuff, and any kind of discussion! 

Tags: Video Games, Pop culture, chatting, Internet, tournaments 

Reply Main Forum
FFVII remake Green-Lighted, Nobody Wants to Make It. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Cybylt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:07 pm
VIII and IX also shown as possibilities.

Quote:
Originally released in 1997, Final Fantasy VII had been an undeniably phenomenal success. After a falling out between the then SquareSoft and Nintendo led to the Nintendo 64 project being cancelled and Final Fantasy VII arriving initially as a PlayStation exclusive (ported to PC in 199 cool , the series has since become synonymous with the PlayStation brand. The ten million worldwide sales (as of October 2009) spurred SqaureSoft and, in their present incarnation, Square Enix, to remake near every earlier entry in the series for the PlayStation format, as well as keeping later releases in the bloodline tied to Sony’s consoles. And now, with talk of the diversifying of the series through further online ventures with Final Fantasy XIV and the anticipation of Final Fantasy XIII at an all-time high, it appears that Square Enix have finally given the go-ahead for that which many, many gamers had been hoping for this past decade.
Last month, in support of the upcoming release of Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers exclusively on Wii, Akitoshi Kawazu and Toshiyuki Rahans (producer and director of Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers respectively) were interviewed at Square Enix in Paris by French Final Fantasy fansites. After some time discussing Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers and earlier titles in the bloodline series, Kawazu and Rahans were questioned about the possibility of a Final Fantasy VII remake:

Final Fantasy Dream: (Translated into English) “I have played the series since I was seven, and I know that you did not work on Final Fantasy VII, but honestly, do you really think that episodes VII-IX will be remade? Is this your next project?

Akitoshi Kawazu: (Translated into English) "No, no, no and no... (laughs) Someone in the company will carry-out the remake of Final Fantasy VII, but not me. It will be an enormous project for whoever does do it. With the current technical specifications, it would be very difficult. But someone will do it."

While far from confirming any exact details, Kawazu did reveal that the project has already been green-lit. Development may not yet be underway, with the pre-production for such an undertaking undoubtedly being extensive, and speculating on a release date and formats would be folly at present. However, it is now clear that Square Enix will capitalise on the widespread appreciation for Final Fantasy VII at some point, most likely within the next few years.
The recent success of the PlayStation Network release of the original PlayStation version of Final Fantasy VII would suggest the game would do well when offered as a downloadable title, nothing is certain at present, and if updated with current-generation visuals a modern interpretation of Final Fantasy VII would surely be commanding of a fully boxed retail product price-tag. Electronic Theatre will keep you updated with all the latest details concerning a remake of Final Fantasy VII.

What's everyone think of this?

What console do you think it should be made on and what direction should be taken?

Full voiceover? Complete HD treatment done on XIII's engine or something else?

Personally, I think that they should be done as PSN downloads, redone maybe with a bonus boss or two and in Dissidia's graphics. Available as individual downloads, or all three on a blu-ray disk. Voiceover in most scenes, usually the more thematic ones.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:55 pm
Remake IX only

VII is overrated

VIII has a good story then turns to s**t in the end as Squall causes everything to happen for in a never ending loop.

IX is fine too.  

Kunx the Mighty
Crew

Cybylt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:13 pm
Kunx the Mighty
Remake IX only

VII is overrated

VIII has a good story then turns to s**t in the end as Squall causes everything to happen for in a never ending loop.

IX is fine too.

Awesome, I thought I was the only one who wanted IX to come first.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:30 am
Final Fantasy VII is only slightly overrated. Really. It's a superb game. It's much better than Ocarina of Time and that stupid game is constantly in every critics top 3.

Anyways, the only reason why no one wants to remake the game is because it's so good. It's legacy and fan bases are immense. If whoever makes it makes one stupid mistake (voice overs that aren't perfect, changes to script, needless additions, changes to character models, etc) then they will be ripped to shreds.

The only remake that would really be worth it, imo, is one that's almost the same -

just give the same story

- Fantastic graphics (lets face it, the graphics are 7's greatest flaw)
- A bestiary like in Final Fantasy Advance titles
- Remade FMV sequences (maybe a couple new ones)
- Access to old FMV sequences
- Touch up glitches, errors, and mistranslations (but do not change the meaning of said script)
- Maybe add a couple new superbosses. The emerald/sapphire weapons are tough, but there are still some set ups that rip them to shreds in seconds.

Honestly, if they go off and change the game too much, or give the characters obnoxious voices like in FFX/FFXII, then the original fanbase will freak out.

Also, they should not remake FFVI under any circumstances, aside from what they did in Advance (touch up script/errors, add a couple new super bosses). That game is pretty much solid gold.

If Square is going to be in the business of remaking old games, then they really might as well start with 7 - just do it right. (let's face it, 7's graphics are a little painful to almost anyone's eyes)  

nitnit
Captain

DJ Arctic Wolf

7,150 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:32 am
if they are doing remakes for VII and VIII, im gonna be really excited. those are my all time favorite final fantasies and i wanna see them improved. i hope they comne out for PS3  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:59 pm
I can see why the guy doesn't want to do the VII re-make. Its a really popular one, and at the end of the day, do you want to be known as, "The guy who messed up the FFVII remake?" I know I wouldn't.  

Haratio TaFotter

DJ Arctic Wolf

7,150 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:29 am
well, what if they keep the concept the same. just add a better graphics engine?  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:07 am
*points to his last post*  

nitnit
Captain

Cybylt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:37 am
Whoever takes up the project will want to piss off as few people as possible, the "They changed it, it sucks" group is a given that I think they'll have to put up with no matter what but I think I know a few things that are in agreement for most fans.

Fix typos and misprints in the original text - Lets face it, translation work from the 90's wasn't exactly up with today's work and that needs to be fixed.

Upgrade the graphics - As it stands, the original game is filled with what looks like pissed off Lego-Men. Something that bears a bit more resemblance to the human form would be a welcome change.

Going out on a limb with this one but...

Add voiceover - The Advent Children cast should be fine as long as Cloud can be a bit more lively than his movie and Dissidia work, the pauses would double the cutscene time...  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:32 am
i like what youre saying! i wonder who will voice Squall and his friends once they do the remake for VIII? would Squall be voiced by the same gyu that di his Kingdom Hearts version?  

DJ Arctic Wolf

7,150 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Explorer 0

Raike99

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:33 pm
I want a remake of FF6.
Not for PS3/Wii/360, though. On the DS, like they did for 3.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:22 am
Trust me, adding voice acting to FF7 is just a bad idea. Certain scenes will just come off as flat, and fans will rage.  

nitnit
Captain

Cybylt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:21 pm
Raike99
I want a remake of FF6.
Not for PS3/Wii/360, though. On the DS, like they did for 3.

It all depends on if they'd be able to fit it on a DS cartridge, however for the time being they're only considering the PS1 core series games. Well that and the fifty other projects they have up in the air.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:54 pm
Also, why downgrade FF6? FF4 advance is better than the DS remake, the silly chibi graphics from the DS versions aren't good.  

nitnit
Captain

Tron714
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:31 am
I think Square does do a remake, I have a feeling a studio in Europe will pick up the title. I know the Square team in Japan want to work on Dues Ex 3 and Thief. And depending on the reception of FF13's combat system, that can influence any other remake. So FF7 with a more modern combat system? I dont know, that might sell razz  
Main Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff