Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Animal Lovers Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for all animal lovers and pet owners 

Tags: animal lovers, pets, animals, cats birds dogs fish reptile, official animal lovers guild 

Reply Main Forum
new doggg?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

beardly

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:57 am
Its not a for-sure thing, But I might get a new dog.
My moms been wanting one, And I'm trying to think of a good idea for a dog.
Most of the dogs we get are from small rescue shelters, Like matty,
Or we get them from the flea market, Like lola.
I know i'll probably get fussed at about the flea market thing, But At least I'm helping them get out.

I already have two dogs, Mattly and lola.
Matty's a small 3/4 year old border collie/ aussi shep mix.
Lola's a mentally challenged puggle.
Both are very good together, They get along perfectly.
I prefer smaller dogs over big ones like full border collies, or anything of that size.
I like really fluffy dogs.
I loveeee pomeranians, But from what I hear they arent that great with other dogs?

I just want ideas on what would be good for my family, If we get another dog.
We dont really have many people visit us unless its a holiday or something really special.
uhm

frfhwehfiwhs
i dont know what else to puttt
but uh
i want help with this.D8

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:52 am
any type of poodle. they adapt to your lifestyle and are one of the smarter breeds of dogs. plus they dont shed and can have any haircut you want to give them  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Foofy_Miru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Um... Corgi? Lol... Your described "favorite dog" is the EXACT opposite of my favorite--BIG, short-haired, puggishly-nosed, the slobbier and gassier the better. So, some opposites of my faves... Let's see.

On the small end of the spectrum, you have Yorkies, Chihuahuas, and Toy Poodles. On the larger, Pomeranians (FWIW, my cousin has one and it gets along fine with her golden retriever), larger Poodles, American Eskimos (my friend has one.. Nice dog. Very fluffy. Not sure how she is with other dogs)...

You could also look into Brussels Griffons... They're supposed to stay small... 5-10 lbs; maximum acceptable size according to the AKC breed standard is 12 lbs & 12 inch shoulder height. They're total companion dogs... I have one, who I call a "Giant" Brussels--somewhere along the line, his bloodline was tainted. Because of it, he and his brother are about 20 lbs each and 14 and 16 (or thereabouts) inches at the shoulder. They're both sweethearts, and they are both extremely attached to their "Mommies"--me and my grandma--really, to a fault. My little boy can't stand going a day without me. Gram's dog is a bit better than that, since he comes over for overnighters and to be babysat quite frequently, but he'll still start getting pretty antsy when he's been away from home for a day or two. They're lazy little sweethearts with cute little faces. They get along great with other dogs. Not counting Stump and Mac, the brussels, we have 3 dogs... One came after them. They also do decently when meeting new dogs They come in two different coat types (long and rough), and need to be groomed regularly... Long coats especially. Rough coats aren't supposed to shed very much, and really only need a regular brushing and facial trimmings.

Here's a some pictures of my Stump...

As a puppy (Stump is in the back, brother Mac in the front)
User Image

Another puppy shot, next to my 75 lb boxer. (He loooved curling up in her belly!)
User Image

When he's gone a little while without a facial trimming:
User Image

After a good trim:
User Image

Here's a full body shot, showing just how much bigger he got than he should have. Next to him is the same boxer from earlier. I think he's 2 years old in this picture, but he hasn't changed much in the last year.
User Image

Stump is a Rough coat... Mac is kind of in-between, but I don't have any updated pictures of him.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:57 am
Go to the pound and look around, woman!

Sarahmooo
Captain

Foofy_Miru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:47 pm
Skittleo

Best advice here, hands down. Go to the pound, see what tickles your fancy. Remember, in the best situation, the dog chooses YOU. You aren't necessarily going to walk out with a little fluffy dog--you might just fall in love with a "big, bad" Pit bull! =) (As I laugh quietly at the idea of a "bad" pibble...)  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:35 pm
Foofy_Miru
Skittleo

Best advice here, hands down. Go to the pound, see what tickles your fancy. Remember, in the best situation, the dog chooses YOU. You aren't necessarily going to walk out with a little fluffy dog--you might just fall in love with a "big, bad" Pit bull! =) (As I laugh quietly at the idea of a "bad" pibble...)

one thing about getting a pit and why i dont recomend them to many people.

they are wonderful dogs, very loyal and very friendly. they have a high prey drive and in most cases become dog aggressive, soemtimes you can train it out of them but not always. plus if you have a pit you had better have the best dang dog out there because one little slip up, even if its someone elses fault, people will want your dog put down because of a stupid reputaion thats based around feer and stupidity

but still, go to a shelter and see whats there, see who you fall in love with  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

ParrotTamer
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:09 pm
Well another thing about going to the pound is that all animal shelters have personality interviews with their dogs. So if you find a dog that you like, it should say on its paperwork how it is with other dogs, its activity level, etc.
Not to mention you could just ask a staff member about the dog. -shrug-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:41 am
The pound here normally has bigger dogs, Or at least they did the last few times I went.
o8
Plus, wont the pound check your dogs and animals and crap? We have to wait til' the tax money comes to get the rest of their shots or something.>>;

beardly

ParrotTamer
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:18 pm
They aren't allowed to check your animals. o-o
You're safe there.
I haven't gotten my doggy her shots since she was five weeks old and now she's three. I've gotten two dogs from the pound since then. <-<;

And just keep checking the pound. You never know what you'll find. And the big dogs are usually the best, because they're the most grateful for getting them outta that tiny little space.

Good luck Missy.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:05 pm
They don't check your animals o-O
They'll ask what all you have but I've never, ever been honest about that lol
So yeah.
Lie, and go to the pound and get a cute little puppy.

Sarahmooo
Captain

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:45 am
mt of my cats are from the pound and they have never cheked on any of my other animals before.

plus you shouldnt get a dog because puppies are cute. you only have a puppy for a few months while you have a dog for years. plus the adult dogs are easier to train and dont go through all those annoying puppy stages.

adult dogs adapt really well to situations alot of the time. my biggest dog i got as an adult and she fits in with our family really well  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:28 am
What type of dog did you get?

Sarahmooo
Captain

Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out